Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Saboo

Official Feedback Thread - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

I camped so cannot mention the sleeping area, but as some people resorted to crashing in the main room... it can't be good.

I slept in the main room at the back on my row. Was easy with a pair of ear plugs :D

I only did it because it seemed easier and I was guaranteed to be waken by people returning to their PC's.

TLDR: I was lazy

Seeing as there was a nice amount of room between the rows, would it be possible to bring our own chairs? Those padded jobbies were nice for a bit but not long sessions.

Own chairs are fine, was a little more space than we'd normally give this LAN because of the numbers, so no guarantees of always getting loads of space, but plenty of people do take their own chairs already.

Quick comment about the whole "scheduling everything" thing before we do our main feedback later...

What happened to people just shouting up and getting people into a game, or asking on IRC etc? We've got no intention on putting everything onto a written timetable and some things should just be spontaneous or organised by groups of people at random!

We put in a timetable of key large games/activities at various points throughout the event to get everybody playing together, we then intentionally leave gaps in the timetable for people to do their own thing!

Rather than getting Murray to code more things (believe me, he's got plenty he's working on) just use IRC or even....shock...horror...talk to people!!!

If I wanted to get a game of something going, I'd just go up the front and ask for a 'bing-bong' announcement, managed to get a 16-player game of Prop-Hunt going on the Sunday thanks to that. I feel a bit of a tit just shouting "PROP HUNT GAME??" in front of everyone, lol.

Sleeping hall was too cold for me on the first night, plus I don't like the sound of snoring (hate sleeping in silence, but snoring is just annoying). Moved into the main hall and found the background noise and temperature was just right!

Don't feel a tit, unexpected things happen spontaneously! A good example is the awesome game of Fluxx we got going. I clearly need to buy bigger decks to confuse people more :)

I didn't have any troubles with the sleeping area. Sleeping bag for warmth and Ear plugs for the noise. However I do have a policy of only going to the sleeping room when I'm no longer able to stay awake rather than when I start yawning. I got up to 5 hours sleep a night in there and I'm sure many got more than that.

I'm still not sure about music being played 24h (all the time I was in the room besides the pub quiz). It does create a good atmosphere while playing games, maybe just having it on for the tourneys and the live sets, I find it becomes tiresome or was that the gummy bear music. Is it a set way at Epic that music will always be played?

I like the constant music and have not found it to cause any problems (besides when the speakers in the social area were too loud, but they got turned down when I asked).

It would be cool for attendees to be able to add unofficial events to the timetable if we decide we want a big game of something.

That would be awesome if Murray coded something like that, like a time table hour by hour.... one list for official events then a second list that attendees can just add their own stuff to like Werewolves, Supcom, whatever.

I agree. The forums kind of acted like that with Kustom announcing some games on here and with gunmens mafia game being announced & planned here. Although both of these examples weren't noticed by many, I know that I turned up around 30 mins late for the space game thingie Kustom announced.

So I think that a simple scrolling " in seat wants to play at " display on the intranet & big screen would be cool.

What happened to people just shouting up and getting people into a game, or asking on IRC etc? We've got no intention on putting everything onto a written timetable and some things should just be spontaneous or organised by groups of people at random!

Rather than getting Murray to code more things (believe me, he's got plenty he's working on) just use IRC or even....shock...horror...talk to people!!!

Lots of spontaneous games did happen. It's not that people aren't talking and do this, it's just that walking around the entire room to organise a quick game of Q3 takes just as long as playing the game. That said the server browser on the intranet works well for this purpose and has caused the desired effect. Well besides when an ex-pro joined my practice CSS game and pown'd me repeatedly (it was fun). :D

Shouting doesn't work if you want to do a game involving more than just the people around you because of the number of people and because of the music. Asking for an announcement does work - thank you for all the announcements.

I'd forgotten about IRC to be honest - good point, I will remember it next time.

Edited for clarity

... or even....shock...horror...talk to people!!!

How am I supposed to keep up the pretence of being an old & grumpy anti-social B'stard if you're expecting me to talk to people? :lol:

I found a couple of the impromptu / unorganised sessions of Trackmania and Quake 3 some of the most enjoyable so personally, I think the balance is about right between events.

And speaking of acting like a tit ....

Sorry for jumping around and screaming like a demented banshee having it's tesicles sawn off on Saturday afternoon ... but it's not everday my beloved Leicester City beats our bitter rivals Notts F*rest 3-0.

just like to say as always enjoyed epic and the people that went ... was alot of fun bring on the next lan

we managed to get loads and loads and loads of mafia/werewolfs games done at the event started randomly thanks to the whole bing bong system and that worked perfectly and the fact i shouted and talked to people but i aggree or wonder if it is possible to add a scrolling bar on the projector screen when people want to add a game on like that would be nice but isn't required if people talk/shout or even bing bong.

Sleeping in the main area was fine i managed it well enough and the staff cant help the snoaring they did ask if people did snoar could they use the main room just to help out.

The music running didn't really bothered me infact a few times i forgot it was on. the only time it was a problem we told nivek and it was fixed in seconds but for this i blame HADDEN

Good

Epic People, was great to see you all again :)

Big games of TF2 were awesome!

Epic.Quiz was better than previous event and not only because we won it :D

BF2 (although not massive) was still a good crack

Console area

Starting Borderlands again from scratch with zorg and vert

Bad

Lee being Ill at the start of lan and having to go to hospital (glad your better lee!)

Breakfast being of rather average quality

Showers being luke warm (at best)

Ugly

Vertigos Age :P

Good

Rockband

Community Workshops

Frankie and Benny's

Playing whatever games I could as I was ill

Listening to Kerrang! in the ambulance

What were once warm showers

Average

Pub Quiz

Bad

Being ill at the start of LAN which resulted in two ambulances arriving at Uttoxeter

Not playing enough games because of me being ill

Not warm enough showers

Dirty, muddy showers (please clean up after your muddy selves, I had to shower down the floor before I had to get in! Needless to say the lucky person who went in after me had a clean shower)

Average breakfast, not enough choice, not a vegetarian choice (I would have opted for this even though I'm not one)

Finally getting to sleep in hospital but then woken up a second later so I had to take pills?! Grr!!

Ugly

Waiting time in hospital

Seeing doctors attempting to get blood vials from me

Muddy showers

Lingering cold feeling in the sleeping area on the first night

Most of my LAN sadly consisted of A&E and recovering from being ill, but it was good nevertheless. I'm much better now though, back to normal :D

I didn't know about you getting ill, Narella.

Didn't you see Winbar being important wearing high-vis? :)

I didn't know about you getting ill, Narella.

Didn't you see Winbar being important wearing high-vis? :)

Not sure. I arrived about 7pm I think unpacked then went out for food, so I possibly missed it :(

Sad when one of us falls ill :(

Ok, delayed post for me because I've been trying to think of some sort of constructive stuff to say...

The sleeping area was fine for me, I didn't partake in the eating of breakfast so I have no complaints there and I didn't use the on site Showers because I live like 10 min from the LAN. So I really can't think of any complaints. Just erm, keep doing events like that and I'll keep attending. :D

OK, before I start my feedback, having had a couple of days to think about it, you can add 1 or 2 onto whatever I scored my overall as...Also, on the survey subject, you probably already know there's a couple of bits that need tweaking, like being able to choose N/A for external caterers because I didn't use any...Small point though that...

Anyway...

EPIC

->Staff/Winbar - Said before, I'll say it again. You guys!!!....I mean it's a lot of effort to shift my flat round for the 15 person LAN's I run....What you do is on another level and absolutely a labour of love. End of story.

->Pub quiz - Every pub quiz I have done is questions over a MIC, and maybe a picture sheet. Yours has so much more variety, and is about geeky shit...Well done. Air dusters FTW :D

GOOD/GREAT

->Song request system - Great first effort, and if it can be tweaked to stop hearing the same song 50 times due to deliberate repeated requests then all the better.

->DJ's - Missed the spontaneous DJ-off due to being asleep, so if it happens again, and you can find an earlier slot, great.

->Scrolling screen thingy - TBH, I hardly looked at the projected ones you had up, because you made it available on everyone's desktops. I used it to keep an at-a-glance eye on big games all weekend.

->Showers - Cramped, and a little muddy (though less than I was expecting considering the weather), but nice and warm if you lowered the pressure a little, and that's the most important thing.

->Kustom's 3D gear - Nice to get an insight into what it looks like in the flesh, even if I have no intention of buying any...yet.

->Network/Interwebs/Power - Minor issues...Meh...Quickly sorted, and considering (as I gather) things hadn't quite worked out the way Murray had wanted, still a very useable net connection on perhaps everything but some games (which I consider somewhat irrelevant as it's a LAN).

->Coming 3rd in the pub quiz.

BAD

->Toilets - Though as I said in the survey, not an event issue....If people need to pee, and choose not to use the urinal, I fail to see how urinating all over the seat is preferable to lifting it out the way first.

->Weather - Though I doubt no amount of Murray's coding could have fixed that :)

->Lack of BBQ nom - Was that season-related, or venue-related? I assume one or the other?

UGLY

->Was the last LAN I'll be attending while still in my twenties

I can't comment on the breakfast quality, though the last two times I ate it at that venue, I considered it to be perfectly suitable "slap-up" meal quality, and would have been happy to eat it again had I not over-purchased in terms of nom at Asda the night before. Same answer applies to the reason I didn't use any external caterers either.

The only free time slots I had were either big games I didn't own, or times when I could've gone and hunted down another game but chose to chill out for a bit. I do sometimes feel a little guilty about troubling the staff to give a shout out if I setup a game myself as they're often doing something, but I guess I just need to get over that.

But yeah, as Zorg said, keep up this recipe, and I'll keep making the 400 mile return journey to attend.

Guest MadOne

Good:

The amazing horse was very funny and somewhat appropriate.

The breakfast on the Friday and the Sunday (don't know what went wrong Saturday with it).

Lots of games to choose from.

The console area being kept out of sight and well out of earshot.

The admins!

Bad:

Question 9 on the Epic Hunt, although it didn't bother me I know someone that it wound up quite a bit :P (and I still believe the answer to the vending machine one is 50p)

Ugly:

Simon :P

Lack of BBQ nom - Was that season-related, or venue-related? I assume one or the other?

With all the will in the world, myself and Jon would not be standing outside in the freezing cold (as much as that would probably give some lols)! This one has come up a few times - BBQs only work in the summer when everyone hangs about outside with a beer, in the middle of winter, it's just the staff that turn blue!!

Besides, it's Winter in February here, it's not the middle of Summer like Australia!!!! :P

Yes, definitely season related for February. However there are also issues with the venue and approved catering contracts, not to mention as the LAN grows it becomes a lot harder to cater for that many people (without bringing in professional event caterers and therefore $$$), so unfortunately I cannot guarantee whether these things will continue.

We did try to look at getting a curry buffet brought in, like at epic.ONE, but struggled with the racecourse's contracting arrangements.

With all the will in the world, myself and Jon would not be standing outside in the freezing cold (as much as that would probably give some lols)!

Indeed....Don't get me wrong....Me pointing it out as a "bad" doesn't mean I don't understand why you didn't do it at this LAN...Just wanted to point out that it was missed, so that if feasible, it's considered for future, warmer LANs...

This one has come up a few times

Clearly a reflection on your BBQ abilities then. Hopefully you see it as a compliment :D

Clearly a reflection on your BBQ abilities then. Hopefully you see it as a compliment :D

moar off winbars and saboos meat plz

With all the will in the world, myself and Jon would not be standing outside in the freezing cold (as much as that would probably give some lols)!

Indeed....Don't get me wrong....Me pointing it out as a "bad" doesn't mean I don't understand why you didn't do it at this LAN...Just wanted to point out that it was missed, so that if feasible, it's considered for future, warmer LANs...

Totally a good thing! Nah, I can't get the right inflection in my voice whilst typing! :( FAIL!

For information, the surveys are now inactive so that we can analyse the results.

We've passed the results of our venue-related feedback on to the racecourse. In the next few weeks we should be in a position to tell you about our planned improvements for epic.FOUR

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter