Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Sign in to follow this  
Elsie

Q. War(fighters), what is it good for?

A. Absolutely knackering!

I've spent to day with 12 of my colleagues from work at Warfighters, near Rugby in Warwickshire and I can honestly say I have never been so tired; I am utterly drained of energy ... but it was a LOT of fun! It was promoted on the Gadget Show a while back with a video here:

During the day we were split into two teams and had 8 games of Capture the Bag, attacking / defending a position and then everyone vs 3 marshalls over farmland, disused railway lines and crossing the M45 motorway. I was the team (fat) sniper and I've been crawling on my hands and knees through all manner of nature in order to get a clean shot. The guns, which look realistic and are bloody heavy, fire a beam of light and you need to aim for the sensors each player wears around their head. Normally, a player can be hit in a game 3 times before they die but the sniper rifle is a 1 shot, 1 kill rifle :)

Before we started

DSCF5171.JPG

Make Up Time

DSCF5191.JPG

Me, The Fat Sniper

DSCF5193.JPG

After ...

DSCF5207.JPG

DSCF5203.JPG

It cost us £55 each for the day but we all paid extra for another magazine, camo netting or a hat and a smoke grenade. Oh come on, who wouldn't want to let of a smoke grenade?! I've got no idea how many miles we walked or how many bushes / trees / ditches I've been in but it's been huge fun, especially the part where I killed three enemy players on top of one of the embankments with the sniper rifle :)

After all these years of playing FPS games on a PC, it's a great way to spend a day playing in non-lethal / ballistc real life. If you ever get the opportunity to try something like this then do it!

im so jealous i wanna go and be the team sniper!

also u lot fail at camo paint :D

Lol! Haven't you had enough of guns and warfare?

Even if it was it's a full day from 9am - 4pm so one would be up in time. Maybe it's something for you guys to consider instead of a trip to Alton Towers?

Guest mayberts

that looks so cool

Lol! Haven't you had enough of guns and warfare?

ill be like the best 1 there (well i hope i would be or im being payed for a job im not good at :P)

if this aint sorted out for this year, then people are fail!

Guest timmy

Get the ethernet cables out!! Rabs here :P

haha, ill shoot you while im kroning cat5 cables!

Looks good, Quasar/Laser Tag for adults :)

Personally, I like inflicting pain on others in Paintball!

Looks good, Quasar/Laser Tag for adultsl!

Yes, it is but it's the buzz of getting camo'd up with guns that look real and diving around bushes and hiding behind trees etc. I know what you mean about paintball but these are affected by wind & rain where these light emitting rifles aren't, so its swings & roundabouts!

I am sold on the idea of camo paint and no face masks though!

Guest daftchip
Get the ethernet cables out!! Rabs here :P

Knew one of us were gonna pop a line like that xD

Sign me up, looks more fun than Alton Towers. :)

...where do I get my laser tag knife for backstabbing people? :o

Im deffo in for it, ill lead a crack team! only the best need to apply!

The route / games we played.

Warfighters.jpg

The brown line running north south is the raised embankment of an old railway line. The M45 motorway was crossed once on the way out and again on the way back. The blue line to the right is a canal ... try not to scare the narrowboat drivers and make them scream ;)

We started off at the Warfighters base and walked to:

1. A game of Capture The Bag (CTB) with teams starting at each end of the railway embankment.

2. Over the M45 (try not to scare the drivers!) for another game of CTB on the embankment. This time there was one bag placed in the middle and both teams had to try and retrieve it.

3 & 4. The wooded area around 3 & 4 is quite big and also has a large pond. One team starts at the north end and the others have to defend the yellow star, the Armoured Personel Carrier and the white star, the downed chopper. Now don't get any fancy ideas, both vehicles are scrapage and not driveable! After playing it one way we swapped sides for the return match.

5. Another game of CTB with the bag being placed in the centre of the field and teams starting at each end trying to get it.

6. Both teams started in opposite corners with the bag in the middle. This looks wide open but the bloody field is undulating; it rolls up and down so you can hide in the hollows ... but it makes for a very tiring game

7. The last game saw the regulars / marshalls embed themselves in the wood / embankment and the rest of us had to flush them out and kill 'em. Needless to say the 4 of them beat us!

It doesn't seem that far to walk but when you're wearing all the gear, carrying the gun, headgear, belt, clambering over fences / gates, up embankments, through fields of nettles and trying not to get shot it's bloody hard, especially for a desk jockey used to a keyboard and mouse.

Finally, Olney Prison is very close to some of the games and because of this we couldn't use smoke grenades on mission 5 as the prison guards don't like it! Having what looks like a bunch of armed men run around near a prison has (apparently) caused some problems in the past and the last thing you want is the Police Armed Response Unit with real guns looking for you!

We went along with what the marshalls / regulars suggested but they're open to other ideas so if you wanted a game of Hunt The Rab I'm sure they'd be willing ... but I think they draw the line at re-enactments of Deliverance.

Squeeeeelll for me piggy!

Sign in to follow this  

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter