Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Narella

The good, the bad and the ugly

As I've got a spare moment I thought I'd start this off, even though it's not the end of the LAN for you lot (but for me it ended yesterday :P)!

Good

The awesome, hot showers. Love them!

Alien Swarm

Jobabob's singing on Rockband; mainly on Portal - Still Alive

Leaving the LAN early to see my work colleague's grin of win after he got married at his wedding reception

Finally understanding what Werewolves is and how to play it! Still confused, but that's not hard.

Confusing the bar staff when we were trying to work out who would pay for drinks, personally I blame Mastachief and Jobabob. :D

The DJ sets were pretty good also, nice work superchief and Haden :)

Kustom PCs, as always

Bad

Leaving the LAN early

Tesco's don't sell bottle openers... (wanted one for myself rather than asking every 5 minutes for one to use)

Ugly

Nothing! Apart from snorers, but I'm not bothered because I can sleep through almost anything.

Just a quick suggestion, there wasn't that much choice of music to select from the playlist - it seemed a lot, if not most of it was game soundtracks. Now, I've got no problem with that it's just I'd like a little more variety with what can be picked and listened to.

I'll make sure I'm there for the duration of the LAN next time also! See you at epic.FIVE :)

Guest Cheez

Good

Getting a decent nights sleep in a tent, nicer camping than it was in Feb.

UT2004, I've missed that game

TF2 is always a laugh

Decent breakfast

Good showers

Bad

Steam authentication being so slow. Not much you can do about it though, Valve really need to release a local cache server, how hard could it be!

Building a PC on Friday Morning, not the most fun way to spend time at a LAN.

Ugly

Listening to BuzzLightYear snore in his tent not 4 feet away.

Some people should be forced to take a shower, it's not like an i-event where there's an ever-present scent of sweat, but every now and then you get a whif of something unsavoury as you walk about the venue.

Other

The intranet / website / hunt sites are all awesome bits of work by Murray, but there's little in the way of cohesion between them. There's not even a link to the hunt beyond the news post on the intranet. Some way of integrating them together, through shared navigation or the like, would be fantastic. Just a thought. :)

All in all, fantastic event. Looking forward to epic.FIVE.

Good

Epic LAN!

Werewolves every night

Security - the polish guy was awesome

TF2 games

CSS funmaps

DJ sets

Bad

Paying £5 for 3 sausages and a roll at the BBQ. Please check before anyone picks up any food and limit them to stuff before it is all consumed by a minority of people.

Night music - some tunes were very loud

Internet did get raped hard, but we cant do much about that

Ugly

nothing

Guest Cheez
Paying £5 for 3 sausages and a roll at the BBQ. Please check before anyone picks up any food and limit them to stuff before it is all consumed by a minority of people.

I saw them as they were tidying up afterwards and there was still masses left. They even did an announcement on the tannoy to say that there was loads left over and that people should go out and grab some otherwise it was getting thrown away. They can only do so much to make you go out and get meat mate. :)

I saw them as they were tidying up afterwards and there was still masses left. They even did an announcement on the tannoy to say that there was loads left over and that people should go out and grab some otherwise it was getting thrown away. They can only do so much to make you go out and get meat mate. :)

i was mostly talking about the other meat. not a fan of bbq burgers or bbq chicken. would have loved some of the pork but that was devoured before anything else

Guest BuzzLightyear

Good

UT2k

TF2

Great Showers

Much better breakfast

Bad

Being utter crap at the hunt

Having to pick up Cheez cos he cannot drive and then have him moan about my snoring

Steam generally being crap. Not much to be done.

Ugly

Agree with cheez about the odd smells. Some people also "cooking" some questionable smelling food

Other

Agree with Cheez about the web sites.

BBQ is good and cheap but seems to take an age, not sure what you could do when there are 90 odd people to feed.

i was mostly talking about the other meat. not a fan of bbq burgers or bbq chicken. would have loved some of the pork but that was devoured before anything else

Sorry but there was loads of pork, steak, ribs, sausages left at the end, we ended up throwing things away.

Good

Boat Race

Pub Quiz

UT2k4

TF2

Alien Swarm

Breakfast

Showers

Werewolves (moderating my first game I think it went well :P)

DJ's!

Bad

Sucking badly at the hunt and giving up

Steam being fail I thought the team did really well to try and resolve it, even though steam is utter crap for LAN and is made worst when a massive patch comes out.

Ugly

Spending more money than I should have.

Just like to say thanks to the whole team again for putting on another excellent LAN!

Good

• Werewolves
  • Hunt
  • Talking to the staff for hours upon end during the night shifts (and laughing at nivek)
  • How awesomely social everyone was this lan!
  • Shameless steal from vardys; Security - the polish guy was awesome

Bad

• Having my beanbags stolen off me at 11am! :(

Ugly

• Nothing!

Once again, a big thank you to all the staff who have worked very hard to put on a fantastic event :D

*applause*

Guest Storm_Seeker

Sorry but there was loads of pork, steak, ribs, sausages left at the end, we ended up throwing things away.

Agreed with WinBar, I went back for some of that super delicious pork (please have that again), after everyone had had their 1st fill. Not overly impressed with the burgers. I had two of them. The sausages looked so well done I decided to give them a miss. Oh, I think you need more bread next time too. People didn't just put the burgers in the bread buns.

While we are on the subject of food... The breakfast didn't seem any better to me. I heard a lot of people complaining about the Epic 3 breakfast. We were the first there in the mornings and it seemed ok, though expensive. I would say the same this time. It wasn't awful but if they have to charge so much, I want better quality. 50p for a cup of tea is spot on though.

Weetabix FTW for me in future I have to admit.

Good:

- TF2 games, the random CSS fun maps, Blur (I would encourage more to pick this up. It is such a good LAN game) and it was nice to play some plain sight. Its good supporting little games that deserve more credit.

- All the staff. Very helpful and friendly enough including the bar staff.

- The cake, thanks Pru for that!

- Feeling like I been on holiday for a week. Especially with how warm it was in there! It hit 29.6 on Friday evening. Felt a little too warm at some points.

Bad:

- Showers had no mixer tap. Just on and off. While I can appreciate some like to burn the dirt and grime off. I prefer it cooler. It would be nice to have some control over what temperature the water was. It was especially bad when there was only me in. It was way too hot.

- That fucking gummy bear track should be banned. Its ok once, funny the 2nd/3rd time. After that it gets really annoying, I walked out of the room sometimes. It seriously is played too much.

- Bar prices. I know it might be out of your control, but £3.30 for a Fosters!? I'd be more willing if it was a San M or Stella. But that is way too much for me and unfortunately its something else I won't be buying at Epic 5.

Ugly:

- Someone snoring in a tent close to me. Though I think the culprit has been identified. Just let me know where you are next time so I can sleep at the other side of the race course :)

- Internet and steam being a bit slow. I know its difficult to manage, but it seemed slower then Epic 3. Has anything changed since then?

All in all, another good LAN. Thank you to all the team and staff for putting in so much work. Will see you at Epic 5 where LanOps will hopefully be bringing down more of us!

Good

Meeting up with friends again

Playing a decent selection of games - think I might be slowly getting the hang of Alien Swarm

Awesomely fun Quake3 games

Sleeping area - not to hot or cold and loads of space

Showers - they were like molten lava but by god they got you clean

Breakfast - didn't sample the food at last event but this time it was decent and reasonable value

Winning the pub quiz for the second time running

Geo making a surprise appearance on Saturday night

DJ sets and face-off - bonus points to Haden for managing to mix in Amazing Horse

Awesome meal out at The Racecourse on Saturday night

The guy that forget he'd ordered a pizza during the quiz and ended up being chased across the room by the delivery guy

Bad

The BBQ - see below

Bar prices - I appreciate the reasons and that it was cheaper than race days but £3.30 was a lot, especially when there was nothing but Fosters for us lager drinkers.

Music request system - either the search wasn't working or the selection was a bit limited. There also needs to be a priority system which demotes played tracks as a few were being played over and over and over again at fairly regular intervals.

Steam updates b0rking the 'net.

Geo & Narella having to leave early.

Whoever I forgot to say goodbye to - Niax springs to mind :(

Ugly

Damocles & Superchief's snoring - though thanks for being considerate and moving indoors (and next to Gunsmith) Damo :)

Ok, the BBQ. The food itself was fine. The total quantity of food provided was fine. The problem was the "production line" in my opinion. I know you tried to pre-cook as much as possible before "opening" but a lot of people were taking a lot of food, so after 20 or so had been served, it was all gone and others were then waiting for the next batch to be cooked. I saw quite a few people leaving with plates full of stuff.

What's really needed (IMHO) is someone to watch and ration what people take to maybe two (different) items at a time. You take a couple of items then go and eat it and rejoin the back of the queue. No piling it up so you don't have to come back. This way, each "batch" of food goes further and serves more people.

I'd like to point out that I'm not "complaining" for myself here as I was fortunate enough to get some food in the first batch and was then more than happy to wait until more food was available (and those who'd not eaten yet had done so).

Only other issue was the burger baps which were still partly frozen. The first burger I had was with a toasted bap so no problem, but when I had another later there was still ice in the bun :(

Overall though it was an excellent event, as always, and I'm already booked & paid for epic.FIVE :D

Guest Storm_Seeker

What's really needed (IMHO) is someone to watch and ration what people take to maybe two (different) items at a time. You take a couple of items then go and eat it and rejoin the back of the queue. No piling it up so you don't have to come back. This way, each "batch" of food goes further and serves more people.

I'd like to point out that I'm not "complaining" for myself here as I was fortunate enough to get some food in the first batch and was then more than happy to wait until more food was available (and those who'd not eaten yet had done so).

Good idea about limiting people. I was ok at this event, but I remember being one of the unfortunate ones at Epic 3 and not getting a decent selection. Also, the que gets a bit ridiculous. Maybe there should be a better way to manage the BBQ?

Guest timmy

Maybe some kind of ticketing system? Sounds a bit too organised tho :P

Yeah think tickets are a bit extreme - just someone visually checking people aren't taking the mick with loads of food would do the job.

Let's not derail the thread any further with BBQ-specific discussions tho :)

Guest Jord

Good

Epic LAN staff, awesome as always.

Showers were amazing this LAN, best yet.

Big games, always great fun. CSS wipeout :DDD

Bar staff, fair play to them putting in 12 hour shifts and being so friendly!

DJ Sets, enjoyed these at previous epic LANs, should definately be kept.

Pub quiz. One of the best aspects of the event IMO.

Music request feature. Used this a lot at epic three and this LAN, it does need a wider selection of music though.

Bad

Bar prices. I understand it's an event and it was made even cheaper than race days but it really was a bit expensive and it discouraged me from drinking during the event.

Breakfast/burger van prices. Again, what can I expect from a burger van but £2 for 2 sausages and a slice of bread is a bit steep for what you get.

Sleeping room was a bit packed and loud, ended up sleeping in my car, although that wasn't really that bad.

Ugly

Nothing big to complain about :)

Big thanks to all the epic staff for putting on such a great event. Looking forward to epic five and possibly the lites. :D

Good:

TF2 and other games

Atmosphere

Generally well run

Actually having a shower at a lan event ;D

Plenty of fridge space

Comfy chairs (They make all the difference) although can we get tables without that support beam where your legs are supposed to go next time?

Bad:

Shower occasionally going too hot.

29.6 degrees on fri night according to my weather station.

Breakfast being far too expensive, previous folks gave us hash browns too for that price.

Intermittent internet access, don't mind slow as long as its reliable.

Ugly:

Music would be better if it was on a bit of a lower level and you can't play the same song more than once in a 12 hour period.

Not bringing my ut2k4 cd key and not being able to play in one of the big tourneys.

Epic 5 price

Guest DCX

Good

epic.LAN staff - as usual perform to the highest of there ability.

Cleansing - Showers was good, nice and hot.

TF2 Games, Alien Swarm Was Also Enjoyable.

Bar Staff - Need credit for there long shifts.

Haden - Superchief - AWESOME !!!

Camping - Amazing, Nice Quiet Sleeping Area

Bad

BBQ - Was Mostly Burnt Over cooked shame really as the lite bbq's are usually perfect - understandable that cooking for that many is a bad idea.

Bar Prices - Yes its a racecourse but hell those prices was FAR too expensive, 1 bulmers - £4 - you can get a pack of 12 for £12.50 where i work... making some hell of a profit.

Ugly

My Airbed going down in the middle of the night xD

Music Was slightly too loud early in the morning hours :\ (12-2am)

as for epic.FIVE - well tbh dont know what to say, probably wont be seeing me there.

Guest Cheez

Bar prices are much cheaper than around here. I'm jealous of you northern lot :(

Well, I say northern, what I actually mean is not near London.

Good

• The epic staff - all very approachable, friendly and helpful. Explained, Fixed or generally helped out within seconds of me approaching them.
  • The atmosphere throughout the LAN was brilliant. Both live DJs are awesome - loved it.
  • Quake3
  • UT2K4
  • Alien Swarm
  • The restaurant at The Premier Inn. We just went there for food, we weren't staying there. It was very good and reasonably priced.
  • Spending time with people I don't usually get a chance to talk to, and making some new friends in the process. Met a few very nice first timers.
  • The pub quiz.
  • Catering and Veggie BBQ. Food was hot and was pretty much as expected. I just can't complain at £5.00 for two veggie sausage sandwiches (4 slices of break + 5 sausages) and a cup of coffee. That's what I'd expect to pay at most places.
  • Getting so annoyed with the insane AI difficulty setting in DoW that we made a custom map which stacks the odds in our favour. We won eventually and it was very gratifying.
  • TwitterWall is cool. However it seemed to generally go unnoticed. Perhaps add newest tweet to the bottom of every slide? Although I doubt people will notice it unless they're specifically look at the big screen for something anyway.

• issues. Other than Murry replacing our switch - even though it was in use and working fine (from my perspective).
  • No power issues.
  • Paid up for epic.FIVE already.
  • Eating breakfast with Graeme from Kustom!
  • Mr Security guy asking lot of questions about Werewolves and essentially ending up knowing how to play better than we do. Although he probably should have been watching the front door, it was kind of cool that he took an interest in what was going on and had even memorised a lot of our names by the end of the event.

Bad

• Wasps while eating breakfast outside.
  • Frozen baps at the BBQ.

• Lack of stuff we can sing along to on the Music Request system. I love the stuff that is there but as I couldn't find things such as "Tenacious D - Fuck her Gently" the whole concept of music requests was kind of a moot point for me.
  • A few of the CSS fun maps don't have that re-playability factor. Although they were amazingly the first time, and fun for a few times after that, I'm now so annoyed with some that I didn't join in this time around.

• Bugs in Intranet - all reported.

Ugly

• 1. Steam login / authentication. Most games are on steam now, when it wasn't working I was very frustrated. I helped a few people to get it to run in off-line mode so they could at least play something single player while waiting for it to be "magically fixed".
    Possible solutions:
    • On the firewall place per internal IP rate limiting on the steam port. Ensure that the limit for everyone is the same and is basically available bandwidth (excluding a little for overheads) divided by the number of participants.
    • More bandwidth
    • Some kind of local mirror/proxy for steam downloading. Do Valve offer this? I'd be surprised if it doesn't exist at all.
    • Transport and/or application level protocol inspection and packet prioritisation on the firewall.

[*]2. It's over.

Guest Cheez
  • On the firewall place per internal IP rate limiting on the steam port. Ensure that the limit for everyone is the same and is basically available bandwidth (excluding a little for overheads) divided by the number of participants.
  • More bandwidth
  • Some kind of local mirror/proxy for steam downloading. Do Valve offer this? I'd be surprised if it doesn't exist at all.
  • Transport and/or application level protocol inspection and packet prioritisation on the firewall.

Unfortunately Valve offer no local cache server or any way of proxying the content delivered via Steam. They do provide it for some of the larger LAN parties, but even then it doesn't seem to work properly (See the i-series Steam issues at the last couple of events). On top of this, it's almost impossible to distinguish steam authenticating from steam downloading a game, so adding QoS to prioritise one over the other is very hard / impossible. The situation was not helped by Steam making some people download 2.8GB of L4D2 to update what should have been a 7MB patch.

Dividing bandwidth on the Steam connection (My understanding is that Steam had an entire connection dedicated to it) equally between all participants would only serve to make it universally slow for everyone.

I think the only ultimate solution could only be more bandwidth, but the possibility / costs of that could be prohibitive.

At least there was only one half hour period when Steam refused to authenticate at all, at least that's all I experienced, the rest of the time it was just pretty slow to sign in.

The Good

Boat Race - although we lost as usual to whatever team murray is on

Pub Quiz - especially me getting the winning tie breaker question!

Geo turning up out of the blue

The 'Conveyer-belt Lan' as coined by Vertigo - you wake up, shower next to bed, have breakfast next to that and the lan is next to that. Great for the insanely idle people we lanners are!

Getting to the final of UT2K4 with my excessive use of the shield gun

Showers were the perfect temp for me, maybe they'd cooled down by the time I got in them

Making everyone think I'd not played werewolves before and lynching half the villagers

Friendly bar staff

DJ sets music was a breath of fresh air to the other awful music!

Singing in rock band, god I love that game, someone needs to bring a console with more DLC on it though

The Bad

Getting completely destroyed by Vardy in the final of UT2K4

Epic Hunt being a little broken and spending far far too much time on it

Bar prices yada yada yada, I think 3 bar staff was just silly for the level we used it. 1 person could serve the event.

BBQ was an hour late and just needed more organisation

Steam going a bit pants as usual

Geo/Lee leaving early :(

The Ugly

The music was truly awful, there must be a licensing reason why you cant play anything half decent. There were times I was ready to go outside so I didnt have to listen to [insert another annoying track here]

Sunday morning - euughhhh

Not actually playing many games at a lan

Ages till my next lan!

Dividing bandwidth on the Steam connection (My understanding is that Steam had an entire connection dedicated to it) equally between all participants would only serve to make it universally slow for everyone.

I think the only ultimate solution could only be more bandwidth, but the possibility / costs of that could be prohibitive.

Dividing the bandwidth for steam will make downloading updates and playing on Internet servers slow for everyone. It would not affect the bandwidth for local LAN games and would guarantee that people can log in to steam. It might be an extreme solution but what it effectively does is slow down the stuff which we're not really meant to be doing (get the updates from local FTP after staff have downloaded them) and ensures that the stuff which we are meant to be doing (playing games locally) will work.

I experienced a lot more than half an hour of problems. There was problems on two different days and both times I was unable to run steam after rebooting for at least an hour. That's two hours of LAN time where I couldn't join in with games in progress and that I couldn't even play something single player.

Given that even my copies of UT2K4 and Dawn Of War are steam copies I personally was very limited in options while steam was playing up. In fact I think that the only non-steam games I played during the whole LAN were: Quake 3, Armagetron and SupCum FA.

The Good:

-Awesome Staff

-Seeing lots of mates

-Winning the quiz again! (were you other teams not actually writing down answers or something? :P)

-Boat race!

-Lots of different games - played a wider range than normal!

-BBQ pork was awesome! Would have had more if I hadn't have been so full. lol

The Bad:

-I didn't play any L4D :( lol

-No supcom :(

-Warm (damn you weather)

-Riot spilling my Pint over the floor during the quiz. FFFUUUUU :P

-Getting 1 sausage and 1 burger on my first bbq visit, only to watch a guy behind me have a huge platefull (like 10 items :/) - I think someone saying "don't be a greedy bastard" when you grab the food would be nice.

The Ugly:

The indian takeaway I had saturday night was shit.

Overall:

Awesome event, can't wait for the next one. Only negatives in my eyes were things that couldn't be controlled. Sadly we can't expect the venue to be a perfect temperature with hot naked ladies delivering us any drink we want from the free bar whilst giving us a 3 course meal. It's a LANParty - it's not meant to be a luxury holiday :P

ps - don't get me wrong. I'd love the bar prices to be cheaper as much as the next guy! I'd rather have a proper glass more though. lol. The prices weren't much more expensive than any of the pubs I normally drink in so it didn't bother me :)

The Good

• [*]The friendly nature of everyone at the event, both participants and staff who made me feel at home.

[*]The games of TF2, Q3A, Trackmania, Alien Swarm, CSS and Dirt 2

[*]Finally meeting rAbz after chatting on Facebook / PM's for ages.

[*]The showers were great for me

[*]Having a fairly decent breakfast right at the door was superb

[*]The pub quiz - and coming 4th for the 2nd time in a row.

[*]The Boat Race ... even though Saboo beat me so I had to poor 1/3 of a pint over my head

[*]Having Graeme from Kustom again and being able to try before I (inevitably) buy

[*]Beating Kn4pster on a Trackmania track.

[*]The Sunday breakfast chat with Astrolox, Graeme, Zorg and Mayberts. Shooting the Shit has never been so much fun ... if only that bloody wasp had buggered off!

[*]The Om Nom Nom BBQ ... the bits of steak and pork I had were great

[*]Nivek being a lifesaver at 5am on Sunday morning in getting me water

[*]The console area and being able to play Diddy Kong Racing again - thanks HG!

[*]Whoever bought the cakes in (Pru?) - that chocolate cake was 10/10. Thanks!

[*]The bar staff were top draw, especially when you consider the mess we made after the boat race!

[*]The bar prices were too high. I'm sure if they were lower they'd sell more.

[*]There were times the music was too loud, epecially after midnight.

[*]Again on the music front, there wasn't enough of a selection of music that an ordinary (OK, old) person like me would know. The one time I heard "Don't Stop Believin'" being played everyone around me was singing. I know it's hard to please all of the people but some of the music was downright awful!

[*] they want to download updates or not. We could then decline the update, grab it from the FTP, verify the update and then carry on playing. But that's a Steam issue, not Epic's.

[*]Not daring to enter a game of Werewolf in case I make a complete arse of myself and screw a game up. Maybe next time.

[*]My Mrs just giving me a rollocking for booking Epic 5 using her PayPal account. She's changed the password now so I can't use it anymore :(

[*]The Epic team supply bin bags on every desk. There are bins at the end of each row. I wish people would use them instead of the floor, it would help!

[*]

I had a great time at Epic 4 and this was thanks to most of you, people I've only spoken to in game or via the forums. Being at the Epic LAN is a lot of fun and whilst games are part of the mix, it's the people that make it so special. Although I feel really old and tired now, for the duration of the event you made me feel young again.

For that, I can't thank you enough.

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter