Good

It's a LAN!

Staff - as always ;)

Brownies

TF2 - although I swear i'm going to go and chop Zorg's arms off soon

Armagetron

Dogfighters

Some semblance of old school LAN with random games being shouted out

Kustom - Getting involved with the random games as per usual!

Bad

Twitter wall - hardly used

Music - I specifiucally moved into the middle of the room to not sit next to a speaker and it's still too loud

Music - Can we have different genres of music. Currerntly its gaming music/"comedy" music

Snorers

Bar prices - £4 for a bottle of bulmers

Ugly

None?

Guest Storm_Seeker

BTW, we turned the temperature of the showers down when we found them to be hot, but once all 4 cubicles were in use at once, the water was too cold. In the end we had to settle for as low as possible whilst maintaining a level of heat when all 4 were in operation - that did mean that for some, the showers were a little warmer than they may have been used to - personally, I like to wake up with omfg hot showers.

Thanks for the info. I'll shut up and get on with it like a man in future.

I have to admit that I was surprised that for a brand new shower unit they didn't have temperature mixers on the shower itself, each cubicle did have hot/cold water incoming because the sinks in there had both taps. Incidentally, I thought having the sink in the individual cubicle was an unusual touch for a lot of portashowers i've used (thinking back to Silverstone's the other week). Overall they were much better than the epic.THREE ones I found.

Where there are problems, come and tell us at the event. There are many points here being raised on the forums which could have been sorted there and then if somebody had told us.

It's hard to convey how much things matter to you when you're posting on a forum. Please when reading my feedback take in to account stuff like the showers being a bit hotter than comfortable is like... me taking a shower and coming out thinking "ooo that was a little hot"... not me taking a shower and then raging and being like "omfg screw this LAN i'm going home".

I didn't complain to staff because I figured you'd have bigger things to worry about.

TF2 - although I swear i'm going to go and chop Zorg's arms off soon

lol :(

The Good:

Winning the Quiz again, lololol

That guy who got a takeaway delivery in the middle of the Quiz was hilarious

Selection of games played

Werewolves

Breakfast was of superior quality to epic.THREE and a decent price for it too! (For people raging at £2 for a sausage sandwich, how much do you usually pay for one? £2 seems spot-on)

Armagedtron Fortress mode

CSS fun maps

Breakfast at Little Chef, my body needs more than stacks of cooked meat to survive and this helped

Showers had ace pressure and were actually hot (but see below)

The Bad:

Showers were too hot, and took some fiddling to get just right (I like non-scolding showers, I'm not a woman)

BBQ was a complete rabble, I think the weather made it worse because everyone huddled under the one spot so no decent queue could be formed and people eating were in the same spot as those queueing-up

Steam being really variable in its connectivity

Armagedtron CTF. That was so bad that I left due to boredom and never came back to see DM or Zombie modes

The Ugly:

Werewolves after the Quiz

The boatrace, so much spilt beer! D:

L4D2 update mid-LAN, in the words of Jay: "it's like they plan their updates to coincide with LAN"

Guest Storm_Seeker

The sinks in the showers was a little win by itself. very nice.

I'll bring my plumbing tools next time, a bit of pipe and a mixer tap.

We could even put some neons in...?

EDIT : and a light switch so we can do as the poster says!

Guest bindip
I found I couldn't use the sink as it was like a pressure washer?!

i tried to brush my teeth using them sinks, but it blasted the tooth brush out of my hand :P

Guest BuzzLightyear

One other thing, personal note. Why were there only 11 people max in the 'big' BF2 game? Was most disappointed..

Would have loved to play but BF2 doesn't work in win 7, or i couldn't get it to work. I understand the steam version does but i'm not buying it again.

Would be good to play bad company 2 if LAN games can be done

Epic 5 price

Are you taking the piss? £50 or the full price of £55 is very cheap for what you get.

Bar prices are much cheaper than around here. I'm jealous of you northern lot :(

Well, I say northern, what I actually mean is not near London.

Agree with Cheez. £3.50 for a pint is standard around high wycombe. For this to be the price at the venue, while not cheap, is fine. I imagine the options are buy from the bar or that bar doesn't open and your still not allowed to bring your own due to licensing laws. Winbar can confirm.

Correct, they are the options, but I will feed the comments back about price and range. I'm hoping to put a suggestion to the racecourse when our account manager is back to solve some of the range queries by using a different bar for the next event, we'll see!

As for the price increase...

We're actually going to do a post soon comparing the epic.FIVE price to other similar entertainment activities, e.g. sports matches, cinema, festivals etc. maybe even other LAN parties when you compare the length of the LAN. For example, using the event Kayomani is involved with, LanOps, if you were to extend that to be the same length as epic it would probably be in the £40-45 region (it's £30 at the moment, but one day less). The equivalent length iseries ticket (i.e. without EAS) is £90. epic.FIVE is £50 until November, which bearing in mind what we provide when you compare to a lot of other events, we still think is extremely good value.

As for the price increase for epic.FIVE, it works out at £3.03 for around 95% of participants and that is purely because of the VAT increase, so perhaps complaints about the increase should be directed towards the Chancellor!

Guest MastacheifBOX

Good

Finally getting to an epiclan after failing to attend the first despite paying.

Took my comfy chair with me i cannot recommend this enough.

Event staff - I really cannot express just how Epic these guys are friendly polite and professional. Easy to approach and willing to help if they can. If you have a problem go and speak with them.

Music - While it may have some system flaws it is on the whole a great thing to have at LAN although I may beat to a bloody pulp the next tit that requests the gummi bear song.

Food - Breakfast every morning set me up for the day, really well priced considering quantity/quality and distance Vs the alternative unknown providers

Kustompc - help full although i'd all ready been booted out fo the UT tourney before i could source a mousemat and mouse. Got my ear plugs from him too.

Shower - Hot and hard just how i like it :)

Sleep area - Thanks fo to those guys that took the complaint to their excessive snores and moved out of the sleeping area

I will echo vertigo^ the LAN conveyer belt is awesome Wake>shower>breakfast>lan...... perfect.

Nearest LAN to me normally i have to drive 3hrs plus took me 1hour to get home

JOBABOB Lee/Geo, Draken, Niax, Vertigo^ and Zorg good company on our row.

UT Tourney well run

No progaymers or dramalamas

Cleanliness of the gaming areas spot on

Now to the bad/ugly section please understand the following points are minor and in no way detracted from my personal LAN enjoyment but i still would like to express them even though winbar has settled a few already.

Bad

Toilets - If you use them wash your filthy hands you dirty cretins, it really isn't rocket science

Bar prices - As a northerner these hurt but did not stop me, more punters however give better negotiation on the prices for winbar so go signup for epic 5 tis a bargain at £50 till november and even at £55 its a steal for an epic 4 day experience

BBQ - Not the actual BBQ but the customers attitude towards the staff attempting to make it a better experience and fair for all. Bitching moaning and generally behaving like children was embarrassing to witness

Pub Quiz - 5 player cap per team left me and another sat without a team 10 would be a better size imo.

Hunt - It wasn't very good aside from flaws it wasn't enjoyable more like pulling teeth.

Oh and contrary to the CS kiddie bible lynx is not "shower in a can"

Ugly

My face Sunday morning

In summary i've been to many lans big and small since 2002 this was easily the best of all

Buzz - the retail version of BF2 does work in Windows 7, you just have to get the install order right. Unfortunately, you can't just install install from CD and then patch to 1.50, it has to be 1.41 then 1.50.

1. Uninstall all BF2 content and delete any residual folders

2. Install BF2 from the CD

3. If you own it, install Special Forces from the CD

4. Patch to 1.41

5. Patch to 1.50

Thers is an issue with ALT-TAB not working with patch 1.50. To fix this you'd need to:

a) Download a new copy of the file RendDX9.dll - http://www.battle.no/?section=download&get=140

B) Extract it into your Battlefield 2 install directory (you must have v1.50 installed already) Probably c:/program files/eagames/bf2

c) When prompted accept that you want to over write the existing file

d) In My Documents go to Battlefield 2\mods\bf2 and delete the cache directory

e) Run BF2 as normal - ALT-TAB issue should be fixed.

Hope this helps. :)

Cheers for that Elsie! I'll get it added to the intranet for future events!

Guest Storm_Seeker

I too bought several pints over the weekend. But could see myself drinking a lot more if the prices were better. If the prices are the same next time, I see myself using the bar less considering how much money I spent all in all over the weekend.

If the price of the LAN goes up, fair enough. Its not helpful having so many over heads. We get a few things thrown in such as desks which help keep the LanOps costs down. I don't think the cost is too bad, but its when it is combined with bar/food costs that it really damages the wallet. I see myself on weetabix and cheap microwave food all weekend at 5.

Guest MadOne

The Good

Got to play a lot more games this time around than at Epic3.

More involved in things, the pub quiz for a start.

Gummy Bear song!!! Move over Amazing Horse, your Throne has been taken and your stable kicked in!

Tweet wall was a fantastic idea, pity it wasn't fed on to the main page as well as the big screens.

The Bad

As always the music is too loud to reasonably hear what is going on in a game, not too fussed about the choice.

Missed this werewolves thing that people keep talking about, next time I will just sit and observe one if I remember.

And someone mentioned earlier about washing hands, yes, you are right, use the friggin tap and some soap you filthy little heathens!

The Ugly

Normally I'd say Simon, but he wasn't at this one. He did spam the Tweet wall a lot though, so yes, Simon again! :P

Guest Booti

Good

Pretty much everything.

The staff are friendly and helpful (except when you are begging for answer to the damn HUNT, lol)

The facilities are great (although that room seems to have its own weather system lol). The fans were a great addition and much appreciated.

Good mix of games and they were better announced / planned i think.

BBQ was great, a lot of hard work goes into it (5 hours i believe) for very little reward.

KustomPCs - What can you say. To drive all that way just to have his choice of car abused :)

Bad

The HUNT, but only coz i still suck at it.

The music choice could have been better. Not so much themes to games and more actual music. Also the search system seemed to have a mind of its own. One minute there was 30 pages of songs, the next 1 page.

Ugly

That tit 3 seats down from me requesting the sodding Gummibear song over and over and over again, please remove it for the next event, along with the horse one.

Guest MadOne

Ugly

That tit 3 seats down from me requesting the sodding Gummibear song over and over and over again, please remove it for the next event, along with the horse one.

I don't think there was anyone sat in seat E4 :P

Anyway, remove it now if you like as I have acquired a copy of it for my phone anyway :D

I know precisely how many times it was requested, and by whom :) It makes interesting reading and is a great insight into people's music tastes :)

We're actually going to do a post soon comparing the epic.FIVE price to other similar entertainment activities, e.g. sports matches, cinema, festivals etc. maybe even other LAN parties when you compare the length of the LAN.

It's like the bar staff were saying at Alsager (epic.two), where else can you get a 4 day holiday away with accommodation for £55?

I'm staying in a B&B this week-end and it's costing me £45 for one night...

Guest MastacheifBOX
Lee/Geo, Draken, Niax, Vertigo^ and Zorg good company on our row.

*cries*

I knew i'd forgotten someone

£35 for 3 days camping at Silverstone the other week, basic portable showers/toilets, no electrical hookup. Never mind the race tickets!

I know precisely how many times it was requested, and by whom :) It makes interesting reading and is a great insight into people's music tastes :)

MadOne has no taste in music! :lol:

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter