Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

padkipz

OMNOMWTFBBQ feedback thread

There have been quite a few complaints about the BBQ this event, it would be nice to get people who have issues to shove them in this thread so that the epic staff can see the main problems people are having, and what to do to fix them for future events.

Personally, I think the epic staff did the best they could for the demand, they pre-cooked the food, but people decided to queue before it had even been annouced, they microwave defrosted the rolls as soon as they were made aware they were frozen, and well, the sausages did get a bit burnt, but that's a risk with BBQ's :P

Either way, if people could summerise the issues here, it would be great.

Guest Booti

Firstly, i have to say i think Winbar and the guys did a great job with this. It aint easy cooking for a crowd....ever

Yes we had to queue, Yes, some of the food was a tad 'crispy', but rather that than food poisioning. I was outside talking the guys later (well, ripping the mick out of Graeme for his car anyway) and there was plenty left.

Issues

People where queuing for food the moment the BBQ was lit, before food even hit the coals (so to speak). As soon as anything was ready people just took everything they could get and left. We joined the queue on the second wave and where happy to wait, but only coz we knew if we left and came back we would lose our place.

While people are waiting in a queue for the next batch of food to be cooked, it doesn't help when people are standing around asking for sausages to be thrown at them......sausages that people are still queueing up for.

Solutions

You can either get another BBQ in so you can do more food at the same time (i think this is gonna have to happen if you are looking to double the attendence of the next event anyway.

Staggered the serving times, running some sort of a ticket system or serve up by desk row (although there will then be a discussion as to why desk X has to wait longer than desk Y)

Ration what people can have each time they join the queue

On a personal note, and i know it was lashing it down with rain so they couldn't stand out in the car park more, but is there anywhere else the smokers can stand while the food is being cooked?

I really really hate queuing :)

However, I waited until about 30 mins after the BBQ was first announced, and then went up - we were able to bypass most of the queue because we hadn't eaten before. [This is how it should be, thanks!]

I managed to grab a burger, which tasted perfectly fine and wasn't burnt! :)

After eating this we rejoined the queue, got another burger and then waited by the side until a pork thingy was ready.

I was actually full after this, therefore my experience of the BBQ was ++good.

The only thing I was slightly miffed at was how all the sausages went instantly - two waves of these need to be done! Also bread seemed to be a bit short [but I was fine]

While people are waiting in a queue for the next batch of food to be cooked, it doesn't help when people are standing around asking for sausages to be thrown at them......sausages that people are still queueing up for.

This sh*t happened at epic.three and p'd a lot of people off. By the fact it's happened again shows that there are a number of people attending epic that just don't care about others and that's wrong. Nobody should expect special treatment and be able to jump the queue etc.

I didn't attend epic.4 so I can't comment on the issues during the event but I agree with people so far that you need to limit the amount of food people are taking. My idea is this: Everyone that pays for the BBQ receives two tickets with their name and booking ID on. You queue up and are allowed to take 5 items (with two sausages counting as one item) in exchange for one ticket. You take you food, go off and eat. You then queue up again for your second lot and exchange your second voucher for another 5 items. This ensures everybody has the chance to have a bit of everything if they want, and ensures everyone is fed. Once everyone has had two lots and the tickets have been used if there is any food left then the staff distribute this to people if they wish to have extra to avoid wastage.

I expect some people to now comment saying 5 items isn't enough. Two tickets, 10 items. You could have two burgers, four sausages, two steaks, two bits of pork and two bits of chicken. There aren't many people that could actually eat all that (ok I know a few that could).

Now with people queueing up before the food is ready. That should stop and nobody allowed by the BBQ area except staff until food is ready and an announcement is made.

Yeah, it really needs to be organized better.

I kept checking outside while stuff was being cooked but not served to see how it was going, however there was no announcement when it started. So realization that food was being served only came from seeing people walking in with burgers.... seeing this I went outside only to be confronted with a big queue, no more food being served and people still eating food from the first serving queued in front of me.

Even then when more food was being cooked there were people at the front of the queue with plates full of food waiting for more, while others waited behind them who had not eaten.

All in all though, I don't expect BBQs at LANs so not having one would not bother me. I will not be signing up for future BBQs at epic.LAN events.

To be honest this thread is a bit of a moot point now. As I mentioned to a few people after this one, we're going to stick to doing the BBQs at our lite events if they fall at suitable times during the year now.

It's clear that at these numbers, and hopefully as they increase, that we have to recognise that a combination of our ability to cater for that many people and lack of simple manners from people is going to cause more problems than it's worth. And I have to say that some people were just being downright rude while we were preparing the food.

So it's time to hand over the catering arrangements to people who are more capable and geared up for catering for large events. We were discussing this with the venue and the breakfast guys and they can put on things like hog roasts and BBQs themselves, unfortunately they aren't going to be able to provide all you can eat for £5 but we really should hand this sort of task over to the professionals now and concentrate on running the LAN.

Guest daftchip
it doesn't help when people are standing around asking for sausages to be thrown at them......sausages that people are still queueing up for.

sausages that were stone cold because no1 else would eat them?

the person your talking about there was me and personally think that the amount of moaning over this bbq is fucking stupid, think alot of people whining about it need to take a step back and fucking sort your lives out

Guest daftchip
we're going to stick to doing the BBQs at our lite events if they fall at suitable times during the year now.

thank god for that, remember at the last lite where there were just 10 or so standing round having a beer and talking to the staff having a laugh rather than people with general arse-ish comments about wait times and about trying to turn a relaxed time into a military run operation with the shouts for 2 SAUSAGES PER PERSON, just use your common sense, have a beer and have a laugh.. the first time ive ever had something to moan about at an epic and its for once the usual awesome community

//daft

Guest Storm_Seeker

Forgive me if I was the one as being perceived as being rude by going to the front and asking how long the sausages/pork would be?

I was not wanting to jump the que and was not being an impatient git. I was simply curious as to roughly how long they would take so I could go to my seat and do something other than que. I hate waiting. This is not a dig at the fact I had to wait/que. I am understanding that this is how it is. I knew there was plenty so was in no rush. I asked, I went back to my seat then checked again later.

Apologies if it was me people are complaining about. If it wasn't me... never mind.

If I do something to offend anyone, please tell me as I can be a bit... forward/less sensitive than others and don't hold back.

Actually, I seem to remember, you were one of the few to come up and speak to us face to face, including complimenting when appropriate

At the end of the day, I posted my feedback because I wanted to be constructive in case you planned on doing it again. I honestly don't care about a BBQ and it had little to no impact on my experience at the LAN, I don't go to LAN parties for BBQs.

Guest Storm_Seeker
Actually, I seem to remember, you were one of the few to come up and speak to us face to face, including complimenting when appropriate

Does that include 'rudeness'?

Nope, decent and fair comments to me I thought

we're going to stick to doing the BBQs at our lite events if they fall at suitable times during the year now.

thank god for that, remember at the last lite where there were just 10 or so standing round having a beer and talking to the staff having a laugh rather than people with general arse-ish comments about wait times and about trying to turn a relaxed time into a military run operation with the shouts for 2 SAUSAGES PER PERSON, just use your common sense, have a beer and have a laugh.. the first time ive ever had something to moan about at an epic and its for once the usual awesome community

//daft

Isn't your philosophy on anything "have a beer and laugh"? :D

But yea, I agree, why make a fuss, the staff won't miss you out because you didn't make yourself known to them, just wait in line, chat amongst yourselves and let them sort it out!

Guest daftchip

Isn't your philosophy on anything "have a beer and laugh"? :D

it works doesnt it? :D

Guest timmy

I would like to thank Jon and all the other event staff who put on a great bbq! Good value for money and the wait wasnt too long.

The only thing that annoyed me was people who had been for 2nds / 3rds pushing in infront of the people who hadn't had any.

Agree with this - it's nice to have someone praise the cooking after 4.5 hours of slaving away!! It's like being back at my pre-college Little Chef job :P

Agree with this - it's nice to have someone praise the cooking after 4.5 hours of slaving away!! It's like being back at my pre-college Little Chef job :P

I think next time you should wear a frilly apron and a chef's hat. It would so suit you.

Guest bindip

Even though I didn't have the BBQ id like to say thanks to staff for even attempting it. Me jord and p1rate just went to the chippy since we couldn't be bothered to line up :P. A suggestion, at one of your previous events you had a Hog Roast, I thought that ran really well and the food was really nice with plenty around for everyone.

We were discussing this with the venue and the breakfast guys and they can put on things like hog roasts and BBQs themselves, unfortunately they aren't going to be able to provide all you can eat for £5 but we really should hand this sort of task over to the professionals now and concentrate on running the LAN.

Guest bindip
We were discussing this with the venue and the breakfast guys and they can put on things like hog roasts and BBQs themselves, unfortunately they aren't going to be able to provide all you can eat for £5 but we really should hand this sort of task over to the professionals now and concentrate on running the LAN.

missed that, nice ! :)

Just to reiterate what I was saying in the GBU thread - I had no issues with the food and commend the staff for attempting to build up a good quantity before starting to serve, I just think the fact that people were alloweed to pile their plates high undid a lot of this work and left many waiting in line for the second batch. This is of course a vicious circle as the longer you've waited, the more inclined you are to take more food so you don't need to come back.

I think all of this could be easily avoided by just ensuring people only take a couple of different items on each visit and then re-join the queue, thus spreading each batch of food amongst more people :)

the way i have seen BBQ's ordered at other events would be to separate the hall into 2 sections. so one half will be getting food while the other half wait. its not nice to wait while you can smell the really nice food being eaten by someone else, but it is manageable.

another way would be to cook all the burgers and sausages before announcing that the food is ready. you could cook all the sausages then place them somewhere to keep them hot and then be able to cook all the burgers. this should allow all of them to be served at the same time. ration the food out accordingly and it should work fine.

i do like the idea of giving food a value, so a sausage is 1 and a burger is 2. each person is able to take 4 items (2 sausages and a burger / 4 sausages / 2 burgers etc..).

im sure if there is another BBQ you could use some of the ideas in this thread to make it easier.

if theres not going to be another BBQ. then i did like the indian food at Epic 1(2?). have a chat with the local caterers to see what they can do i suppose.

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter