Nivek

Now this is a driving simulator!

ferarrriii.jpg

The CyberMotion Simulator, built by Paolo Robuffo Giordano at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics in Germany, lifts drivers seven feet off the ground with the robotic arm, adapted from a model found frequently in amusement parks.

A wraparound screen puts the driver in the cockpit of a Ferrari F2007, operated by a force feedback steering wheel and pedals. But the rig isn't for training the race car drivers of the future—Giordano says such systems allow us to better understand how we experience motion:

A motion simulation system is a fundamental tool to understand how humans experience the sensation of motion...By running suitable experiments, one can gain better insights into the cognitive processes of the human brain.

Apparently the system could be adapted to simulate other vehicles, what would you drive?

I'd like to try it with one of the lightcycles from armagetron!

That's cool! Can that be hired out!

Lightcycles would be interesting - they should get some of teh F1 boys in it and see how it compares to their normal sim.