Saboo

USB Headphones on a PS3

I've just gone to play some PS3 and thought I'd use my G35 for the audio as it does USB audio out.

Apparently you only use the USB audio for voice comms, so talking (over the microphone) and receiving chat. You then need to have the main TV speakers delivering the actual game sound.

I've been trawling the web and the only solution is to get headphones with 2 3.5mm jacks (one audio out and one mic in), plug the audio in into the TV and get a 3.5mm jack => USB adapter for the mic.

Am I being unreasonable when I say that's ridiculous?

I'd guess that it's because they don't want the added complexity of full supporting multiple sound cards when they write the code. By "they" I mean firstly Sony because they write the operating system software and gaming libraries, but I also mean the Game developer who writes the game.

So it sounds like they went with the policy of first sound card for output, second one (be it USB or Bluetooth) for input. Assuming that it did full support this option and then let you choose which card to use for output, etc.. I can image it would be a huge headache for people trying to work out why they can't hear something. I'm envisioning the windows sound control panel on my TV... yuck. That said, I also think it would be nice if the option was available maybe in an "advanced users" menu.