Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Elsie

Oh Noes! EpicLan forums ban at work

Last Friday a good friend of mine that works for the IT Security team came to see me as a web hosting company, 34sp.com, had contacted him to report that they had noticed "suspicious activity" eminating from our IP address using the Eplc Forums. My friend did some investigation and found that the only person that visited forums.epiclan.co.uk was ... me.

We went through what I had been looking at on Thursday 28th and Friday 29th. I can't get to the main EpicLAN front page as that's already banned. I had looked at around 8 threads and posted on a couple, which, in both of our opinions was nothing unusual. Yet the web hosts seemed to think that whatever traffic I was generating by using the EpicLAN forums was a threat and blocked our companies IP address.

After 34sp.comn and my friend had further conversations the ban has been lifted but we still don't know what happened to cause the extra activity :(  I'm posting this as my last message from a work PC as I believe forums.Epliclan.co.uk may be added to my companies ban list from next week. 

Still, I have my phone, Fondle Pad and MiFi dongle and they can't block them!

Well I tried to post that from work but it's already banned.

Had to post from my iPad. :(

Guest daftchip

I keep getting sent lists of my web activity which are 'abnormal usage of the company internet' is there a way of completely stopping them from seeing my web usage? :P

If you can SSH to somewhere, then you can completely sidestep any logging by your employer.

I keep getting sent lists of my web activity which are 'abnormal usage of the company internet' is there a way of completely stopping them from seeing my web usage? :P

Stop using the web at work and they can't therefore see your useage.

If you can SSH to somewhere, then you can completely sidestep any logging by your employer.

Surely opening up an SSH connection would draw your attention to it. I suppose you could run via home via port 80? (Is this what your getting at?)

I'm not banned at work, but anything that is I wouldn't SSH - instant dismissal, plus it's all locked down through the firewalls and what not.

Am quite interested to find out what you did to cause 34sp to ask questions though.

I only looked at the forums, read a few threads, posted on a couple and got off. My security guy says that my use was nothing out of the ordinary but the hosts reckon there was something major going on, as if everything I clicked on created multiple hits.

As for SSH, that's instant dismissal for me as well.

Errr instant dismissal for SSH? WTF?

Also wtf is a web hosting company doing looking at your web history?

I suspect most companies would ban SSH.

Internet polices are part of your contract and if you break them you are in disciplinary regime. Too much internet would be a friendly warning I suspect. Tunneling out via SSH is willful and obviously breaking the internet policy and you would know you are breaking it by doing so.

My job involves contacting remote servers... surprisingly SSH is how this is done...

Dave, the host wasn't looking at my history, they blocked my companies IP when they noticed 'suspicious activity' (their quote, not mine) coming from our IP via the Epic LAN forums.

Still doesn't make sense - what relation do you have with them? There isn't anyway that I know of that something could come from your IP, then go somewhere else via the epic forums. Unless someone has hosted an image on that hosting company and then linked it in a thread... but still all you'd be doing is looking at a link.

Smells of BS to me. (As in your IT guys are BS'ing you.)

Whatever browsing/posting I was doing on the forum last Thursday / Friday caused the hosts to see a suspicious spike in activity. This was traced from the hosts back to our company IP, and that's when my friend got involved to see who had been accessing epic LAN.

I trust this guy 100%, he wouldn't give me any grief. In fact, he was trying to get to the bottom of the issue to stop me from getting a roasting!

Umm 34SP are the epic.LAN webhosts. Elsie was browsing from his work network to the epic.LAN sites which somehow triggered the host's security scanning. Nothing unusual about that really and can see how it would happen.

My job involves contacting remote servers... surprisingly SSH is how this is done...

Which is why it won't be blocked in many business but this doesn't mean you can make use of it for activities which are normally blocked/banned :)

Oh, I presumed everything was hosted with fast hosts :o

Anyway, going back to "Who the hell are 34SP"!

Oh, I presumed everything was hosted with fast hosts :o

Anyway, going back to "Who the hell are 34SP"!

A very good hosting company based in Manchester.

Errr instant dismissal for SSH? WTF?

Also wtf is a web hosting company doing looking at your web history?

SSH would be a big no no for me as well. Probably not a big no no but I'd have people on my case.

Grr I'd written something out then but sadly knowing the company I work for they'd some how find it.

Remote company owned or remote external?

I use SSH all the time for internal server connections, I wouldn't ever try to circumvent the IT security measures employed by my company, no matter how restrictive (especially considering the implications if I cause a breach - think financially/reputationally).

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter