Elsie

PSN Outage

I've just had a call from Radio 5 asking if I wanted to comment on the PSN outage?! I'd spoken to one of the phone in shows ages ago when Microsoft banned hacked consoles ... and they'd kept my number!

I don't have a PS3 but I've been keeping an eye on the PSN story and forums where people have been spitting their proverbial dummies out of the pram as they can't play online. Waaaahhhhh!!!! It's not as if the consoles have died, they just can't play online but to read some of the complaints you'd think that Sony had come in and shot their Granny!

It's another nice day out there people, go and enjoy it!

It's not as if the consoles have died, they just can't play online

Actually, a lot of the DRM in games now requires an online connection to play at all.

Guest Zenith

And let's not forget that Portal2 was released on PS3 on the day the outage started.

That means no linking of PSN and Steam accounts, and no unlocking of PC version of Portal2.

It also means no trophies/achievements are being synchronised.

So I bought another controller from Maplin. Now me and my daughter are playing Portal2 co-op splitscreen. High-5's and rock-paper-scissors are the order of the day.

This is in addition to getting out in the sunshine with the kids, kicking a ball around, blowing bubbles and generally being a big kid. :)

I didn't know about that but to be honest, that's poor coding on behalf of a game developer. Not everyone is going to have a net connection.

Zenith ... men of our age and mentality aren't meant to grow up. We'll always be kids at heart!

I didn't know about that but to be honest, that's poor coding on behalf of a game developer. Not everyone is going to have a net connection.

It's an attempt to stop piracy on the jailbroken PS3's, by forcing the user to connect to PSN to enable any aspect of the game you stop pirates who don't have valid accounts to do so. It also punishes all the users who've purchased the game whenever there's a networking issue (with either Sony or the user).

CAPCOM and Ubisoft are the worst for DRM.

Yeah man, it's been dead for a while. It's just the timing really, especially over the easter break with some big release titles.

There are various stories, but the one I read on the BBC said that it might have been a group of people from Anonymous acting independently of the group to hack PSN.

Stories I read today were along the lines of it was hacked and they are uncertain as to whether personal data such as passwords and credit card details have been stolen or not.

I have a PS3 and a PSN account - haven't used for almost 2 weeks though.

FYI:

official twitter => http://twitter.com/PlayStationEU

official blog => http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th.

Guest Zenith

And that's the nuclear bomb going off.

I've been considering a change to all my online password/authentication systems. This might be the nudge I needed to get onto it properly.

Anyone got any opinions on www.lastpass.com ?

Anyone got any opinions on www.lastpass.com ?

If you struggle with remembering lots of passwords then Password Safes are a good idea - but only when encrypted and you control the encryption very well. I suggest http://www.schneier.com/passsafe.html

An online password safe as a service, I don't like the sound of. It has some advantages and is no worse than using the same password on most websites. So, perhaps it's a reasonable compromise for some/most people. As for www.lastpass.com specifically: I don't know how it's encryption works so I can't comment definitively on that specific service.

I'd like to point out that password saving is already built in to firefox, with the ability to encrypt the list against a master password and sync across multiple computers via their service. Sounds similar to the site you're talking about and is already built in. I use it for not that important stuff like facebook, forums, digg, youtube, news websites, etc. Don't use it for online banking, online utilities (gas, electric), anything which remembers my credit card details, etc.

I use LastPass and it's fabulous! I let it create my passwords for me and store them, and I don't even need to know my own passwords.

I like the fact is sync's between work and home, and on my work pc, I have it auto log me out after 3 minutes of inactivity in the browser, or if I close the browser.

The only negative I have is that you have to pay to use it on your phone, so I have to now remember my crazy Facebook and Twitter passwords, but that's okay in my book as I've learnt them already, and it means I can now use them elsewhere and have more secure passwords.

The big upshot of this of course is that all your passwords can be different, so if someone has your PSN login, they can't login to your username email account with the same password.