Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Bicko

Programmers?

I know we have a few of you on here, who are you and what do you do?

Not really a programmer, I'm a scripter. I work with scripting languages not programming languages. :)

PHP, MySQL, Javascript, HTML + CSS

Programmer of both desktop and web technologies.

68k assembly language, C, C#, VB6, VB.NET, J2ME, Java, ASP.NET, PHP, HTML, CSS & TSQL

Im more a hardware/networking techie but I know alittle to keep me in the know.

Web based: Hmtl, ASP.net, PHP.

I know alittle vb.net but mostly forgotten it all.

Programmer of both desktop and web technologies.

68k assembly language, C, C#, VB6, VB.NET, J2ME, Java, ASP.NET, PHP, HTML, CSS & TSQL

But not VBA dam you ;p

Oh good there's quite a few of you here then! Something I've discussed briefly with Zorg in the past, the idea of getting the epic.LAN people together and developing a computer game (because lets face it we're a bunch of people who're good with computers and also obviously love computer games).

I'm an artist/designer, I know Zorg actually makes IRL monies running a game, and I know that Kane and Jay are artists too (who else here has experience doing games art btw?).

Just wondering anyone would be interested in this? I'm unsure on what format development would be done in, whether we just do it online over time or else do it a la the style of Global Game Jam coming together and marathon-ing something out in a few days.

I feel some of the biggest opportunity right now is succeding in the mobile gaming market with a silly game, seems to work for a lot of others.

Not just mobile games, but increasingly we're getting more and more small indie PC games turn out as big hits, selling for tiny amounts. Same concept really, just on a different bit of hardware.. small game, simple art, low cost, quick development time, focus on gameplay/fun.

I can do sprites / 2d graphics / UI stuff. Never done texturing for 3D models though.

I'm also a programmer in both desktop and web technologies.

Had fun playing around with the code for the Torque3D a while back. It led to me conclude that making a decent 3D game takes lots of time, and the majority of that time is spent on content rather than code. The actual engine, especially if based on existing code, is the smallest part of the job.

Before even considering the coding side of things I'd want to see a solid group of 3d content contributors (people who are able and willing to put time in to making models, textures and maps) and a mostly fleshed out game play design (story boards, details on win conditions, etc).

If you're talking 2d... it's a similar story but there it's more 50/50 and you're best off working with a small team. IMHO.

Whilst there are a myriad of 3D engines available for free (best one for smaller projects being Unity3D, imo) I'm personally more interested in making a good pixel-art game, because stuff like this is awesome:

tf2all.gif

I work at Next as a Developer in C# and a little in VB.NET. I'm developing applications and web based solutions. More then happy to lend a hand of any gaming project.

Hmm, I would of gone the "make a game for Steam idea" over the mobile game idea.

That way you make an indie multi-player game for Steam, and we can play it / test it at LANs. Making games is what I do and always have a billion ideas for games in my head, we should brain storm. :D

Also Java knowledge isn't needed as much these days, not with XNA and Windows mobile 7 (Possibly not the best mobile platform, but at least XNA can be be used on 360 and PC as well).

That way you make an indie multi-player game for Steam, and we can play it / test it at LANs.

My thoughts exactly, mobile games aren't as great as you might think they are.. they suffer from a over-saturated market and an audience that don't want to pay more than £0.99 for your game unless they've seen/heard great things about it beforehand from a reputable source.

I imagine a Pacman-esque game with Zorg on his wheelis scooting between Epic desks with dangers such as the screen shaking when he passes Gunsmith and his rumbling G25 or having to leap over a passed out Swyft.

Personally I just wouldn't have time for this but would like to be involved.

I have experience of Android development ;)

Bicko: I guess you're thinking something along the lines of coming together al la you/Kane/Jay's FYP team project? Ribena Wars or something - I remember playing it and it was a Steam game.

@Saboo: I wasn't actually involved in that, I didn't really know Kane/Jay until the final year and I think that the Games Design module was Year 2.

PHP mostly, some Python, used to do Ruby on Rails and C#, some experience with Perl and C++.

As for what I do, http://admin.fasthosts.co.uk. I'm also the lead developer for epic.LAN and responsible for huge chunks of the Intranet, Website, Tournaments and Server management system.

As for what I do, http://admin.fasthosts.co.uk. I'm also the lead developer for epic.LAN and responsible for huge chunks of the Intranet, Website, Tournaments and Server management system.

...huge chunks? Nearly all of it. :D

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter