Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Guest Booti

Thin Clients

Guest Booti

Does anyone have any experience of thin client setups.

If so, can you recommend any hardware to look at and what software licensing will be required to run it.

Also, are there any major limitation i should know about.

Looking to set up 3 or 4 clients on a small LAN

Cheers

Guest Zenith

The most common thin client setup I see in stores is a server running some sort of Windows Server providing remote desktop access via Terminal Services.

For example, one store chain are using a IBM x3100 M4 server running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. In addition to the everyday transactional activities, running the EPOS till systems and communicating with their head office, this server is also running a virtualised instance that a Wyse WinTerm thin client can access through RDP. The server is used as the office desktop, with the Wyse terminal used as the cash office machine.

A different chain are using a headless Dell server to run the operation, a separate PC for the back office admin, a Wyse terminal in the cash office and a number of PCs throughout the store. This time, they're running Citrix ICA to supply desktops to the various PCs. The beauty of that is that you only need a minimal Windows install, one application and a browser. Anyone can log in on any PC and get their own default desktop, as long as they're not already signed on somewhere else.

I would suggest a simple setup would be to get Wyse WinTerm S10 thin clients and a server that runs Remote Desktop Services to provide desktops. You would need to get a Windows Server version that has at least 5 CAL seats for Remote Desktop Services to allow you to run the number of clients you have in mind.

S10s go for about £80 each or so.

Windows SBS 2011 (5 CAL) is around £200.

Windows Server 2008 R2 (5 CAL) is around £450.

Guest Booti

Cheers, that pretty much what we thought.

Am i right in saying that we need Windows Server AND RDP licenses as well?? (not going to be using Citrix, as that opens up a whole new learning curve that i dont have time for)

I work in a school and are very interested in the idead of thin clients would also love some info. Have been suggested N-Computing anyone ever heard anything good/bad about them?

Guest Zenith
Cheers, that pretty much what we thought.

Am i right in saying that we need Windows Server AND RDP licenses as well?? (not going to be using Citrix, as that opens up a whole new learning curve that i dont have time for)

The version of Windows Server should come with the licences. That's what the 5 CAL bit is about.

CAL = Client Access Licence.

It's how many terminal instances you're allowed to run at the same time.

I work in a school and are very interested in the idead of thin clients would also love some info. Have been suggested N-Computing anyone ever heard anything good/bad about them?

Problem with doing it in a school environment is that you've got to be sure the different pieces of software are going to work correctly over a thin client.

Guest Booti

Zenith

I am a little confused with the CAL issue then. I was under the impression that the 5 CAL's you get with Server 2008 are to allow 5 concurrent PC's to connect to your server.

If you are then going to run RDP, you need a further 5 RDP CAL's as well (i believe its the same with Exchange needing CAL's for that as well)

Could you confirm / deny / explain this for me so we dont go wasting money, thanks.

Also, if we want to run Office on the Thin Clients, how do we license that please?

Guest Booti

For the record, the server hardware is most likely to be a HP ML330 G6 server running virtulisation.

Need to run a domain server, proxy server, app server and web server from it. Going to ramp it up with 2 Quad E5606 core CPU's and 8Gb RAM (maybe 12 or 16Gb later if needed)

Guest Zenith
Zenith

I am a little confused with the CAL issue then. I was under the impression that the 5 CAL's you get with Server 2008 are to allow 5 concurrent PC's to connect to your server.

If you are then going to run RDP, you need a further 5 RDP CAL's as well (i believe its the same with Exchange needing CAL's for that as well)

Could you confirm / deny / explain this for me so we dont go wasting money, thanks.

Also, if we want to run Office on the Thin Clients, how do we license that please?

All I can do is point you towards the MS info about this stuff as I don't have hands-on admin of these systems. I only configure and deploy replacement equipment to connect to the systems.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/client-access-license.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753650.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/remote-desktop-services-features.aspx

As far as I remember it:

A server with AD/Domain has 5 CALS with it. This can be used Per User or Per Computer. In order to use Terminal services you need to buy CALS for the amount of Computers/users want to use the machine at the same time.

Office also needs to be purchased for each machine as normal.

Id be looking at this personally:

http://www.vmware.com/products/view/features.html

Guest Booti

Thank Zenith

Matthab, VMWare is a fortune for what we want to do, so we ae looking at Microsoft virtulisation as its free.

Hyper V looks scary. However the pricing is a lotttttt cheaper

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter