Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

superchief

Ubuntu ISO CD

OK guys, here is something that is a little weird. I have been trying to install ubuntu onto this laptop (i am using now). I burn the ISO on windows 7, works fine...try it in this winxp laptop and the cd drive refuses to load the CD.#

It can't be the drive because it will read a DVD perfectly fine....any thoughts?

And before you ask, yes i have downloaded the 32 bit version of it.

Cheers

Or alternatively someone could suggest a different Linux install? Something small but friendly and that i could get netbeans and apache working on.

Appreciate these seem like noob questions but i am looking at putting one of my laptops on a linux install for some development and web stuffs as i am looking at moving my entire website from .net to php and i need something to take with me that is a little safer than windows.

Well tried burning another CD from a windows xp machine and it still won't load.....slightly annoyed. Might have to go for a USB install at this rate...when i can buy a USB key.

Guest Zenith

How old is the laptop?

I tried to install a version of Ubuntu on an old P4 2.4Gz, 1GB RAM system last week and it just would... not... install. The system tried to boot from the disc, then came up with some error about not being able to read the disc. Yet the disc reads perfectly in XP that's already on the PC.

I'm wondering if there's something in the boot loaders that's incompatible with old BIOS versions.

Well the laptop is a little old, but the CD written on an XP machine works fine....and it reads other discs....any other linux install i could try?

Just read the BIOS thing....would that stop the CD even being recognised in windows? It can't be the drive because that works fine...although it does have a little trouble spinning up the cd. Not a DVD though.

Right tried ubuntu 8 cd....it booted into it and then just stuck.

Tried ubuntu 10....booted into cd but again got stuck

USB pen drive is not a valid bootup on the laptop. I think i am going to have to reserve myself to the fact that the laptop will never run linux.

Well the network boot is getting somewhere....except after it asks me to configure the internet location to get stuff from....i just get stuck with a blue screen and some sort of command prompt

Not sure what to do now...the tftp server isn't doing anything.

Well this is being posted from my newly operational Ubuntu laptop. Hurah! only 2 days work.

Thanks everyone for your help. Zeneth.....network boot did the job!

Guest Zenith

Nice one! :)

Glad it worked.

All I was thinking was how some of the companies I deal with deploy images from a server in the branch to the tills on the front-end.

I also agree with matthab. Fedora might be a way forward. I've installed Fedora onto an old machine here and I've downloaded the Fedora Remix for Raspberry Pi, ready for when I get my little toy. :)

Have you tried a 'live cd' version of Linux, instead of trying to install?

He has done that. Read the thread :wink:

Point it out then, as I can only see install attempts from cd or usb.

Well the install cd, so I read on their site, also acts as a live cd. I think the cd drive is just a bit funny. Ne'r mind, network boot for the win.

Also now I just got Ubuntu installed...I'm loathed to reinstall with fedora, just got everything setup now!

I dumped ubuntu - but I still prefer debian package management to redhat's - so I started from a debian network install image and added the packages I wanted.

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter