Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Beej

HP Proliant Servers

So as a few us guys at epic. are looking at getting one and I know a few have some I thought I would make a thread for people to post their knowledge about them up here.

I have some to share and some questions to ask so hear goes...

Knowledge to share:

What I want to know:

• Where is the best place to buy? - BTBusiness Direct were selling for £199.99exVAT but now has gone up to £238.00exVAT any better offers?
  • How many drives can it take?
  • Does it come with a disk drive?

Sorry for noob questions!

I personnally have 2 of these (if not identical similar spec) Elsie has I belive 2 (dunno how he managed that without his wife shooting him) and Dunceantix has one.

It does everything I've needed it to, just don't ask stupid questions like "will this be good enough to run css at 100tick..." A bit of extra ram is alway good!, the hard drive bays are connected via an infiband connector so you could put in a funky raid card if thats what you want to do.

Any questions, ask someone else :-P

Guest Booti

Dabs (who are BT Business) are doing it for £249.99 as well

It comes with a 250Gb HDD and can take a further 3 (4 in total) SATA II drives

Guest Zenith

I'm asking at work if they've got any obsolete server hardware knocking around. Some of them are HP Proliants (the proper full tower ones with SAS backplanes).

VMs have suddenly become very interesting to me. :)

Just got mine set up today! Currently moving files from my NAS box to the server, and doing backups etc. Got a few more tweaks and stuff to install and its all good :D

Did the Optical > HDD conversion - Piece of piss!

Memory Upgraded to 8GB - Easy Peasy!

3TB + 500GB HDDs installed.

I'm asking at work if they've got any obsolete server hardware knocking around. Some of them are HP Proliants (the proper full tower ones with SAS backplanes).

VMs have suddenly become very interesting to me. :)

Just remember these will be noisy, expensive to run and be bigger. All the micro server isnt.

Personally im waiting for the price of Hard drives to come down to what they were and then ill make the plunge.

Forgot to add there is a very big thread on OCUk here about it: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18216324

Guest Booti

For those interested in getting (another) one of these

eBuyer has dropped the price to £239.99 and upped the cashback to £110. Overall price would therefore come in at £129.99

I've just ordered my 2nd server for £212 from Amazon. Gotta claim the £100 back after it arrives. I need more storage space!

I've just ordered my 2nd server for £212 from Amazon. Gotta claim the £100 back after it arrives. I need more storage space!

You should have got a DAS instead which would give you another 8 bays and no need to run another OS etc

I'm planning on using the new one as a Linux server, time I got my hands dirty!

So i have also finally joined the Proliant owners club.

Now i want my machine to be able to back up my windows 7 & 8.1 machines, file storage and stream Music etc to devices/ tablets etc on my network.

So my question to all those here is what are people using to all of this?

I am toying with the idea of putting WHS2011 but it looks like that's now a dead fish and doesn't play too well with Windows 8. So would i be better off with Ubuntu Server or say just whacking Windows 7 on there and getting third party software to do the back ups etc?

I run server 2012 on mine but don't use it for backup so wouldn't like to say there :/

I am running Server 2012 on one of mine as WHS2011 cannot backup UEFI Windows 8 machines. Way to go Microsoft. Once the connector software was installed on the W8 client it is automatically backed up to server 2012. I use the WHS server for streaming etc

I am running Server 2012 on one of mine as WHS2011 cannot backup UEFI Windows 8 machines. Way to go Microsoft. Once the connector software was installed on the W8 client it is automatically backed up to server 2012. I use the WHS server for streaming etc

It was part of the plan to get you to buy more of their software ;)

• Like 1

I still have access to a MSDN account so I can evaluate M$ applications ;)

• Like 1

Lucky you.

I have nothing like that so i have to pay full whack for MS products :(

I have ubuntu with Plex working well and i can Remote into it from my windows machines, just need to look at using samba to allow me to share the files with my windows machines (which all seems like hassle)

Does anyone know if i have to download the modded BIOS to install a fifth hdd on a Proliant N54l?
There seems to be conflicting information floating around the web on this 

I have 5 running in the previous version, dont think I have made an BIOS changes.

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter