Beej

HP Proliant Servers

[Lightbulb]That probably explains why some media playback from I-Movies (the HDD in the DVD drive bay) is tempremental! So I either need to upgrade the BIOS, something that I admit I am scared to do or move data around so I don't use the I drive for media playback.

Thanks for waking me up to that Tim!

Guest Booti

Sorry to restart an old thread, but I'm trying to get more from my server.

It's running WHS 2011 at the moment, but would be happy to change depending on the outcome and costs (ie not to expensive and will give me better features)

I use the server for my storage at the moment. I need to be able to set it us an Apple Server for my music and Apple TV. I am having issues with this, in so much that I can't get my Apple TV to see it over the network, and I can't import video files into iTunes.

If I can't get the videos files into iTunes, then i need to be able to get it to work with my TV to play the files. I have tried PlexServer, but it stutters and jumps, the audio goes out of sync or just fails to play the files at all. Not sure if this is the OS, the file types or the server not up to the task.

It's not doing backups at the moment as the hard drive don't have the space (I need to upgrade soon, but want to sort the box before doing it all twice)

Thoughts and suggestions please.

Regarding the streaming from Plex, I've not had a problem with that myself. 720p encodes with no jittering. If you are using Plex and watching over your local LAN, then you should enable direct stream and direct play which means no transcoding takes place and it just streams the files directly. As for Apple stuff, no idea on that I'm afraid. 

Guest Booti

You enable the direct stream and play on the server end I take it?

What files are you using please? I have a mix of MP4 and MKV

You enable the direct stream and play on the server end I take it?

What files are you using please? I have a mix of MP4 and MKV

I think that option is actually on the client application. I use mkv. 

Guest Booti

Ah ok. I don't have a client on the TV, it is just working as a DNLA client

I'll see info cannery it working though the Apple TV.

Edited by Booti

AppleTV will need to be jailbroken for Plex to have any hope in hell to interact with it. If it is on the current firmware, last i checked there wasn't a single jailbreak. Pick yourself up a chromecast for plex usage, or gfx card for server and plug directly into TV

I have some guides in PDF format and I am sure that one of them has a section on installing iTunes and Bonjour to use it as a server. I was using XMBC on a PC bit now I use a Chrome cast as it's quicker then booting the pc. I just use the phone with ES File Explorer, find the file and cast it. Please send me a Pm with your email address and I will send you the PDF files.

Guest Zenith

I've found the simplicity of using Plex server with my Chromecast as well as the usual phone apps (Play Music, Youtube and so on).

Guest Booti

I'm thinking I may need to look at this a lot deeper.

Logged onto the server last night for the first time in a while to find its all kinds of screwed up.

Won't install updates. Won't run Plex. Won't let me reinstall Plex (they seem to have changed it a lot since I put it on)

Think my OS is a little screwy. Job for the weekend. Not sure if I stick with WHS2011 or change though.

Edited by Booti

I'm thinking I may need to look at this a lot deeper.

Logged onto the server last night for the first time in a while to find its all kinds of screwed up.

Won't install updates. Won't run Plex. Won't let me reinstall Plex (they seem to have changed it a lot since I put it on)

Think my OS is a little screwy. Job for the weekend. Not sure if I stick with WHS2011 or change though.

I run Windows 2008 R2 on mine, runs quite nicely. Think some people have 2012 on theirs which is also fine

Guest Booti

gonna try a skim load of WHS now to see if that fixes the issues.

I have options on 2008 and 2012 essentials if needed and of course i could try my hand at Ubuntu as well.

Just out of interest, those on 2008 and 2012, what AV are you using please?

Guest Booti

Ok, so you can't skim load WHS :S

Starting on a new hard drive now as I don't want to lose my settings on the current drive, but also been looking at FreeNAS. Heard of it, but never tried it before.

It might do all I need, except maybe iTunes server.

Guest Booti

Hi. Again ;)

Can anyone using an N54L confirm if you can install hard drives bigger than 2Tb in the caddy ports please?

The specs says not, but they are outdated and I have a BIOS flash installed as well. Just need to confirm before I commit to purchases.

Thanks

Guest Booti

Thanks Nivek (again)

I'll get my orders in after payday :)