Minecon 2012?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Minecon 2012?

• Totally!
    • Undecided
    • Not going
    • What's a Minecraft?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/75092/minecon-2012-held-at-disneyland-paris

Minecraft developer Mojang had said that its second dig 'em up shindig would be held in Europe, following its debut in Las Vegas last year. Today it announced MineCon 2012's location, which turns out to be just about the most American place in Europe imaginable--Disneyland Paris

November 24 & 25th as Haden didn’t include them!

So...

With a few of the radio team highly excited about this, we were planning a team / community trip to Minecon 2012!

Registration for it opens in about a fortnight and apparently the prices are set to be pretty damn awesome.

Following people interested:

• Bob
    Beej
    LZ Stealth
    Nick
    Haden
    JoeShow
    Bez
    Inferno
    Shad0w (possibly, funding & studying)

Lets see if we can get a large group going, would be awesome!

UPDATE

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av0NTPDCOIERdDFnaklTY3Y5Q2VBZ1laZkd5SVo4ZUE

IRC: #minecon2012

pass: epic.minecon

TRAVEL DETAILS

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av0NTPDCOIERdDFnaklTY3Y5Q2VBZ1laZkd5SVo4ZUE#gid=1

Ferry Details now included on Document

Dover - Calais Thu 22/11/12 & Fri 23/11/12

Calais - Dover Mon 26/11/12

Please let me know if you need any more details. I'll get these added.

Flights will be up next.

Cannot obtain Train tickets for a few weeks as they are not yet on their system!

Updated, quoted, worshiping you :-P !

I think I too shall be standing-by doing a classic Bob of repeatedly hitting the F5 key until the purchase option appears :-D

last year's minecon ticket price was 99 dollars, that'd be some 64 quit i guess, i would love to go but probably will be too busy studying and too short on money to go.

Guest Bez

If you can get some prices up asap, I'll see what I can do.

Guest Bob

Worth using my last few holidays on!

Guest daftchip

<----

Any one for a road trip? :D

That would explain why the November dates are blocked out on my travel agent booking site. I can normally get 2 nights/3days hotel, half-board and tickets at the New York Hotel for £135.94 per person. For just breakfast, tickets and hotel it's £95 per person.

Time to break out my qualified Disney Travel agent status!

I imagine this will be in the Hotel New York as it's best set up for conventions. If I can get it cheap, I might join you (but instead just go to the parks, with one hotel full up with people going to a convention, should be quite good).

Disneyland Paris in November at this time should just be gearing up for Christmas stuff, so will probably be mid-redecorating. I went there at the same time in about 2006/2007 and it was very VERY cold, so if you are going, you'll need to wrap up warm :D.

Thanks for the update Murray. This information will be very useful.

Once more information is available I’ll speak with Haden and try to the use first two posts as information providers in this thread, to try and break it up a bit as it’s likely to be a lot!

I’d suggest Haden will be the social one (as he does best) and provide plans and details in the main post of every little think that will be happening over the weekend.

I’ll add any costs for travelling, hotels and additional items which can be purchased when there to the second post.

I’ll start doing some research when further details are announced as a lot of places such a Eurostar are not yet providing travel information for that time, plus I’ll be able to add Hotel costs!

I know Murray can add to us and Edit our posts with his Disney Travel Magic.

Of course this is if you’d like some help Haden, feel free to tell me to bugger off so you can do it all on your own! :P

So...... Let’s plan this, and let’s make the Magic happen!

Here's some info to get you started. I don't know how much you'd be in the parks. Ideally you'd want 2-3 days for the parks alone (a 2 night, 3 day stay is ideal).

Train

Eurostar is expensive but convenient. You can either go direct from St Pancras or drive to Ashford and get on there. Time is about 3 hours or so. The train drops off directly at the train station which is literally in between the park and the hotels. You're looking at anywhere from £100-250 depending on whether it's direct or changing at Paris.

Flights

Easyjet and major airlines fly into Charles DeGaulle airport and from there you can either get a local train to Disneyland Paris (DLP) or you can club together and get a minibus/taxi. Last October the train cost £38 each and took about 10 minutes, the tax is probably cheaper but takes about an hour. Flights will be whatever you can get them for.

Hotels

So they've not announced the hotels and they'll most likely block some booking or have special prices. There's two convention centre hotels. Hotel New York (4*, second best hotel on-site) and Newport Bay Club (almost as good). These are the more premium hotels. More expensive, you have the Disneyland Hotel over the main entrance. Cheaper you have Seqouia Lodge. These are all the hotels in the main area.

A 10-15 minute walk away or a 5 minute bus ride you have the other much cheaper Disney hotels, Santa Fey and Cheyenne. The rooms in these are a lot smaller and more akin to a travel lodge or the Alton Towers hotel.

If you're booking with Disney, you'll get a package including hotel, breakfast and park tickets. No idea what will happen with MineCon.

Food and Drink

It is expensive. If you want to eat well, for example the amazing all you can eat places, budget at least £40/night for food. Drinks at the hotels are pricey as well. In the parks it's not too bad, standard Theme Park pricing really. Load up at Breakfast and you'll be fine.

The Parks

There's two parks and the Disney Village shopping and entertainment area.

Disneyland Park has Sleeping Beauty Castle, Phantom Manor, Space Mountain 2, Pirates of the Caribbean, it's a small world!, Captain EO (*shudder*), Star Tours (still the older version), Thunder Mountain, etc. This is like Disneyland in Anaheim or The Magic Kingdom in Florida.

Disney Studios is next door and has the Tower of Terror, Armageddon, Backlot Tour, Crush's Coaster, Rock'n'Rollercoaster and a number of other shows including Lights, Motors, Action, a car stunt show. If watching this in November, wrap up warm as the stand gets bitterly cold.

Finally there's Disney Village which you'll walk through from the hotels to the park. Shops, food, nightlife, etc. Free wifi is available at McDonalds.

Language

Knowing French isn't important, all the cast members will speak English, all signs are in English and French (and German and Italian).

Guest Bob

Language

Knowing French isn't important, all the cast members will speak English, all signs are in English and French (and German and Italian).

If we get stuck, don't worry, I speak fluent french :) comes in rather handy. <3

Guest Bob

MAY I recommend, get a google doc up with peoples names and prices for each part (tickets, entry, travel, hotels, etc) and we can then all see from the same page :)

and provide plans and details in the main post of every little think that will be happening over the weekend.

A google doc will do this :P

The little girl inside me is squeeling at the thought of going to Disney. <3

MAY I recommend, get a google doc up with peoples names and prices for each part (tickets, entry, travel, hotels, etc) and we can then all see from the same page :)

Currently in progress!

Guest Bob

Currently in progress!

HADEN YOU BEAST.

Guest Bob

P.S - I'm happy to be a Taxi and a designated driver :)

OMG yes minecon and disnyland paris this is so gonne happen

So I'm not sure if Liz mentioned to anyone but my Minecraft community have several members that are really interested so I would be happy to be an organizer if we are sorting it out like a proper trip!

Guest SirNicholas

I wantz to go! But parents will most likely not let me.

Already booked off friday and monday, looking forward to this :D

Will also be talking to Jon about the joint Molehill -> Epic Venture which was in the making before this post was made :D

Also email james@jaddie.co.uk :D

Btw join #minecon -> quakenet

P.S Beej you need to fix your phrasing a little bit, its wrong and now I understand what members were saying about mis-understanding claims of ownership :P

Guest SirNicholas

marco@kninnug.nl

Also: #minecon

Colour me interested; but I'll be waiting until prices are announced!

Guest epicChris

+1 Interest (providing the price doesn't rocket above £300 plus :P)