Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

leymoo

epic.HUNT feedback

Hello all!

Just wanted to say we really loved running the epic.HUNT, and that we're looking to make it better than this time!

Some wonderful moments...

• jobabob after working out the final answer for a particularly perplexing question suffixing his correct answer with "YOU ma, the far cars"
  • Tankgirl finding the page about the artist who recreated the Abbey Road cover in breakfast food items
  • Finding out that a team had called their pub quiz team after one of the questions (you know who I'm talking about...)
  • Finding a team stuck on a clue because "they wouldn't make us go outside, would they?"
  • Getting some people thinking about watching Sneakers...   
  • Getting a little giggly as *no-one* spelled Dumbledore correctly first time round...
  • "I KNOW it's a red herring, but I just can't stop looking at it!"

(I'll let the rest of CFMN fill in some of their stories...)

Please let us know what we did right, what we did wrong, what could be tweaked. 

Edited by leymoo

I'll have to go back and check, but I swear I saw someone spell Dumbledore "double door".

• Like 1

• Getting a little giggly as *no-one* spelled Dumbledore correctly first time round...

I beg to differ, Once I had worked it out, I spelled it perfectly and got it on one try!!!

I'd like to thank the CantFitMyn team for organizing the hunt and I'm glad those that took part enjoyed it :)

It's not for me though. My brain was hurting when Jobabob and Kane were explaining the steps they had to go through to get an answer!

• Like 1

Thanks for running this guys. Although I wasn't at the event due to ill health I could just about play along at home.

My only gripe is that some of the questions could have been checked a bit more before they went live but kudos on fixing them as fast as you did. I liked that the questions were varied and actually had a train of thought (once you figured out where you were going with the question :P).

I did have a bug with the hunt site though. On question 22 I inputted the correct answer but it didn't forward me to the next question. I had to input the answer again. Then on my questions list it showed I had answered the question twice and had got position 1 and 4 :P

Oh as a suggestion, would it be possible for the 'team' and 'your' guesses boxes to refresh via an ajax call as it's a pain refreshing the page when you've already submitted an answer as it wants to send it again. For the future maybe, if someone on your team answers the question correctly it could give you the option to move forward to the next question rather than you all have to put the answer in. Also in the 'team' guesses box you hide the correct answers but not in the 'your' guesses box, if you're not at your machine and you stupidly leave it unlocked someone from another team could browse your correct answers if they're stuck.

Again thank you for running this, it turned an otherwise dull weekend at home into an enjoyable one.

• Like 2

Funnily enough, I believe the endeavour question used an ajax submission to the 'hms' server.

With regards to the whole team going through, its nice to reward the team member who gets it, encourages even more competition, but could easily be passed to other team members after that yes.

I enjoyed it, although maybe the timing could be tweaked a little given how knackered I was after 2 days of banging my head at rather intense logical reasoning! Appreciated the constant feedback from CantFitMyN to keep us encouraged and make sure we were on the right track.

• Like 1

Funnily enough, I believe the endeavour question used an ajax submission to the 'hms' server.

It was ajax, but the server was a separate web application that I wrote and that Markb hosted on a virtual server for me. The idea of that was so the answer couldn't be guessed from just looking at the javascript :)

We did spot a few bugs on the site, which is quite old from what Murray has said. Examples of which include the correct answer being submitted to the following question as well, and a synchronising issue with users (which I believe Ghozer had a problem with). Hopefully we managed to resolve any bugs or wrong parts of the questions quickly so that they didn't disadvantage anyone - having been there ourselves it is something we kept on top of without giving anything away.

We do have a few ideas to improve the site as well, including some of the suggestions made by Knappster, and some of them are still work-in-progress.

One idea rolphus suggested was a Google Wave style "scratchpad" that can be provided per team. We used Google Wave to great affect on a Christmas epic.HUNT a few years ago and would like to be able to provide something similar to teams. This gives the advantage of being able to see what your teammates are doing, as well as the admins being able to see as well so we can provide assistance / add new hints. Whilst this is designed to be challenging, we don't want you completely stumped for hours on end!

• Like 1

One idea rolphus suggested was a Google Wave style "scratchpad" that can be provided per team. We used Google Wave to great affect on a Christmas epic.HUNT a few years ago and would like to be able to provide something similar to teams. This gives the advantage of being able to see what your teammates are doing, as well as the admins being able to see as well so we can provide assistance / add new hints. Whilst this is designed to be challenging, we don't want you completely stumped for hours on end!

We usually use a Google Doc for exactly this reason.

Pad doesn't agree with me on this one... but I think even for the leading team, there should be a hard cap on how long you don't get a clue for...

I.e. even if you are in the lead, you get at least some kind of a clue at 60 minutes max into a particular question...

By all means give this hint sooner to teams later on, but it's not fun if you're completely stuck for 60 minutes :)

PS: Really enjoyed it :)

Okay so, inc wall of text.

First off - a HUGE thank you to everyone involved in the hunt making a return. I can't imagine the amount of time and effort you guys put in to the questions; but I expect it was a lot, so despite any anger/frustration that may seem aimed towards you during any questions, I really do appreciate the time spent!

Question feedback:

1. None needed
  2. None needed
  3. None needed (thank you for updating the image!)
  4. None needed
  5. None needed
  6. None needed
  7. None needed (awesome question)
  8. None needed (another awesome question, gg Jobabob)
  9. Okay, first question I feel needs proper feedback! We started out on this one quite well, we understood the information in front of us and worked out pretty quickly what we had to do. Once as had located where all the images were from, and plotted them on googlemaps, that's when it started to slow down. We looked in to quite a few lines of thinking before getting a little frustrated about not being able to get anywhere. I personally feel that the letter wasn't enough to help you get the link from where the locations are/where you were meant to see, I believe the first team only got the answer after a clue about who wrote the letter (please correct me if I'm wrong), and you shouldn't really have to release a clue for the first team to get the answer.
  10. A very fun and though out question, but I feel the story didn't explain enough. We very quickly understood you had to get up and follow the story around the venue, but didn't pick up on the fact there was more than one braille box until the text was changed slightly.
  11. None needed
  12. None needed
  13. This question will torment me for the rest of my life. On reflection, it was very well done, we just missed a vital part of it which got us stuck for a long time. Although one thing to note is that zip files within files (unless made obvious), may not be obvious to some people. Fortunately we all have quite a lot of IT experience and realized a batch file (which is what we were presented with at the time) should not be 6+MB!
  14. Another very good question, but I think it had too many steps. Once we had got to the video and found the QR code, we hit a stump. In the end we brute-forced it by trying names from the boys wiki.
  15. None needed (although we really over-complicated it for ourselves to begin with!)
  16. None needed
  17. None needed
  18. None needed (really fun question, amazing use of audacity!)
  19. None needed (we fucked ourselves over on this by being lazy as hell)
  20. None needed
  21. None needed (really really fun question, more clicky coloured buttons please :D)
  22. None needed
  23. On reflection, I really like this question. It's very well thought out and had a very good puzzle-solving technique behind it. Unfortunately when we got on to the question, the text was wrong, and stayed like that for around 30minutes I believe. Because of this, one of trains of thought (the correct one!!) went out the window quickly because we found it to be unsolvable using it. After the text was changed, we went back to the original train of thought and managed to work out how it was all put together. Then we hit another snag, some of the answers were interchangeable, or a little too difficult to work out.. sepia magician?! :P.. fortunately the creator of the question was around and managed to help us out with the stuff that was wrong and got the answer.
  24. Just fuck you :P

All in all, it was really really fun, despite the hiccoughs. As I said a few times over the course of the two days, it's the first time you're running one, so things will go wrong. The way you responded to it all was excellent, and we weren't waiting long for anything to be fixed. I also really enjoyed how active you guys were (after a bit of pushing from me..) around us, and the encouragement you gave definitely helped spur us on to continue.

Hunt website feedback:

Overall, I like the layout of the site. It's easy to use and navigate. I have a few design/feature suggestions though:

• As mentioned on IRC to a couple of people, I would love for the site to be hosted remotely and locally (and then traffic redirected as necessary), although as also mentioned, this might not be possible due to some restrictions/networkmagicstuff in place. I do believe a couple of people are also thinking about making it so you can only play if you're AT the event itself, and I'd just like to say I don't like the idea at all. Knappster, who was helping us throughout the event, was unable to be there due to health problems, but as mentioned in his post, it turned a most likely dull weekend, in to a very fun one. Please keep this in mind when you're making the choice! :)
  • Automatic move-on from questions. This is something the DHGame website utilizes. Once one person in your team has answered the question correctly, a quick refresh of the page will bring up the next question. I personally can't see any reason not to implement this, as having to the put the answer in up to 8 time seperetly can be annoying, especially as some people don't listen very well when told the answer :P
  • Time-stamps to show when you completed the question. I wouldn't mind knowing how long I've spent on a task.
  • Hints; another thing the DHGame website utilizes, is a lovely hint system. When you input an answer that is very close but you're missing something, it will give you a small hint as to the fact you're missing something, or what to do next to get that something. To see what I mean, if you head to dhgame.dreamhack.se now, and go through the first question of the tutorial, and instead of typing the answer as "bee", just put "b", it will give you a hint like the ones I'm on about.

I can't think of a lot more off the top of my head now, but I will continue to think and add more if any do pop up.

Again; thank you so much for bringing it back, it was so much fun, and a pleasure to meet you all :D

Edited by padkipz
  • Like 1

If you need any help deving stuff, I offer you my services. I'm bored and jobless at the moment so I have loads of time to spare until they fix me.

I'll be putting the current codebase on github at some point in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

I don't recommend making the code to the epic.hunt open source, you know what we're like :)

I don't recommend making the code to the epic.hunt open source, you know what we're like :)

There's a reason I've just upgraded by github account to allow private repositories :D

That said, it should be secure enough anyway. It's more the shame of 5 year old code :D

• Like 2

God I forgot how long it's been running for :P.

Something like Etherpad might be nice to integrate for teams but security on that would have to be tested quite extensively (probably not worth the effort).

• Similar Content

• By Winbar
      There's a possibility of a return of the epic.HUNT for the next event following an offer from a group of people to run it on our behalf (as you can imagine, with an event this size there's way too much for the old group of us to run it.).

To help us assess the interest, please vote in the above poll and we'll make a decision as soon as we can.

For those of you who don't know what this is all about, it's a puzzle hunt type game which involves following a series of clues around both the venue and online with each leading to another clue and ultimately the prize.

It usually takes place over a couple of days with a break so that you're not completely tied into playing it 24h a day (unless you really struggle on a question!). There are a number of clues released throughout on an individual and group basis to nudge you along the way if you get stuck.
  • Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter