Sign in to follow this  
_Jay_

New F1 Engines.....

What does everyone think of the new engines. I know a lot of people were really worried they'd sound terrible but imo they sound pretty damn awesome. Whilst I'll miss the screaming engine notes we've had since the late 80s, I think these are better than the V8s we've just had. Although I guess due to my age (ie I've been brought up with F1 cars all having screaming high rpm NA engines) it is going to take some getting used to.

Decent clip from Jerez testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqQbdEJsjHQ

From what I've read, they're not getting near the rev limiter yet but they sound good to me. Nice range of sound and I'm quite liking all the extra noise the turbo and ERS adds. Will be great to see the tech from these engines in GT racing too (the rough design means LeMans ruling i believe :))

The V8s were a massive step back from the V10s of the mid 00s imo. Some comparisons to previous engine rules:

V10s:

V12s:

But how are we going to play Happy Birthday with the engine now? It doesn't sound like it has the same high range as before! :)

They sound like angry bees, I remain underwhelmed and also some of the designs are vile in the nose cone area! Can anyone say cock nose! especially the Caterham! Then the dustbuster/ant eater Ferrari with a conk in front of the driver and the Mclaren mega nostrils. Sorry to say it but best nose cone design has to go to Redbull who used clever paint work to disguise the ugly.

I am only a casual F1 fan even more so after it went to Sky and not being able to watch all the races (plus the boring Red Bull dominance) bur I did watch some of the Malayian GP this morning ... and I don't think I'll bother watching anymore.

If I buy a Blu Ray or DVD I will only purchase one with a DTS soundtrack as for me, a movie without a full and immersive soundrack is not worth watching. And thats how I feel about the new engines. They're too quiet and sound more like a souped up Prius than an F1 car. On Friday night I watched a modded Vauxhall Corsa scream away from some traffic lights and this, a Corsa FFS, sounded better than this new generation of F1 cars.

Withoit the noise its made it less interesting.

Elsie, under that analogy of a full and immersive soundtrack, do you want the sub-woofer to be so loud it drowns out the crowd and pa, the brakes locking, the tyre squeal, the in-car/pit audio (especially team audio), etc etc

Yes, the cars no longer have the scream of power they used to, I just see it as modern engineering. Expensive modern road cars are the same way that put in-car audio to drown out that, while turbo's provide great power, they sound like kettles on the boil.

Only drawback so far for me is that while the new KERS system is outstanding, its no longer the turbo boost it was before as its pretty much always on in acceleration - so everyone is getting the same benefit and it just makes the cars faster in a straight line.

I guess its an age thing.

A class 395 loco is a beautiful, smooth and efficient loco but I would rather see and hear a steam engine that feels 'alive' :)

There is something visceral about a powerful piece of physical engineering, expertly crafted to do things no normal engine could achieve.

Makes me in awe of the giant old steam ship engines or most Victorian (over)engineering for that reason.

I love the new noise, you hear tyre squel, the turbo roar and whine. Turbo cars are inheriently quieter than N/A cars. My Car is quiet due to the turbo, Seat thought it was a great idea to put a speaker in the cabin that makes more noise :S. Its the new sound and the future which will most likely be here to stay.