Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Mintopia

epic.THIRTEEN Network and Internet Feedback

Hi everyone! Please post any feedback or questions you have about the internal LAN, Internet connections or wireless for epic.THIRTEEN. We've already got some improvements planned for epic.FOURTEEN. Also, here's some basic stats for you!

• Total Downloaded: 1.6TB
  • Total Uploaded: 200GB
  • Unique Devices on the LAN: 658
  • Steam Cache Downloaded: 334GB
  • Steam Cache Uploaded: 1.15TB

Usually my SSH connection dies nightly. This time... constant all weekend. No idea what you did, but please continue!

Browsing/etc has been zippy as well.

After the internet outage was sorted on Thursday, I didn't notice any issues with the internet connection or network, and the wireless was much better!

Just looked up the stats for epic.TWELVE for the ones you've posted above, Murray:

Total Downloaded: 1.6TB (1.85TB at epic.TWELVE)
Total Uploaded: 200GB (339GB at epic.TWELVE)
Unique Devices on the LAN: 658 (818 at epic.TWELVE)
Steam Cache Downloaded: 334GB (214GB at epic.TWELVE)
Steam Cache Uploaded: 1.15TB (1.13TB at epic.TWELVE)
  • Like 3

Apart from Thursday afternoons outage (which I know there was nothing you could have done to fix it, I had no issues at all. It just worked.

Network was perfect other than the Thursday issues that were out of epic's control. I was impressed how internet pages were always speedy. So a respectable 9/10.

Non-Biased Staff feedback. Murray normally dreads it when I approach him as it normally means i'm begging for more upload speeds. With the content team growing, more photographers, more news writers and of course me and Jackson drinking various amounts of energy drink pumping out the most content I think we've done since we've started working together. But the internet this event was so seamless! We was uploading videos quicker than we could make them. Nothing went down during the event and not having the stresses of upload speeds made for a very happy epic.MediaTeam. So a big thankyou so much to Murray and his tech team! 

Much love,

The content team.

• Like 3

I echo Joe there! The photos uploaded lickety split for me! and browsing the internet to do content eg sprout usage and facebook, youtube etc all brillliant!

'It just worked' was pretty much my experience too, absolutely seamless from where I was.  I have to say I love the way it all works, the intranet, the big screen and stuff.  The only thing I couldn't get to work was the announcement stream, I think there was an issue last LAN too.  Was it broken?

'It just worked' was pretty much my experience too, absolutely seamless from where I was.  I have to say I love the way it all works, the intranet, the big screen and stuff.  The only thing I couldn't get to work was the announcement stream, I think there was an issue last LAN too.  Was it broken?

We'll look into this for next time. I think it was because we weren't broadcasting to the stream.

• Like 1

The only complain I heard was that the epic.HUNT wasn't accessible from outside of the event. Other than that I have no complaints at all :D

Yeggstry: We can work on that. Possibly doing some fun stuff with DNS and hosting videos and media on a subdomain so we can host it both internally and externally.

Maybe a stupid question (I am well known for these) but wasn't part of The Hunt to look for clues inside the venue on the walls - so anyone not at the LAN would have been stumped?

Some questions required you to be at the event in order to solve them, but it would have allowed a teammate to have helped someone at the event with questions. It was briefly discussed when I set the server up on Thursday but it was left internal only, with a stable internet connection now we may well allow it to be externally accessible if technically possible to do so.

Worked well, was even able to stream videos without buffering in the evenings.

Just gotta hope when epic14 sells out at 400 people it can still handle it

I also liked the fact the wifi was open!!! No signal inside means Wifi on phone and tablet is pretty important and charging for it is just lame! So well played there!

• Like 3

I found the Internet pretty responsive given the number of people on it. I did a sneaky speedtest during the day and night on Friday and they were a consistent 3Mbps down and 1Mbps up. I assume that was a hard limit applied to everyone to make it work reliably, so well done on that one even if it was a little slow for downloading game updates :)

Also a thanks to the guys who run the network who helped me get onto some network games. I had my LogMeIn Hamachi VPN running which was interfering with them in some cases. A quick disable later and all was well. Also my friend who had his two x-boxes and was switching between them had some manual rules set up for him so he could use both interchangeably so thanks for that too!

Edited by andywhy

Network was fine after I managed to connect to it. The http://www url didn't work with my DNS server so I had to change to automatic, none of the staff or literature around the room said anything about this. Otherwise the network was fine, easy to and I liked the easy to configure and very stable IRC / TS connections. Good job to the team!

Edited by cooky560
  • Like 1

Network was fine after I managed to connect to it. The http://www url didn't work with my DNS server so I had to change to automatic, none of the staff or literature around the room said anything about this. Otherwise the network was fine, easy to and I liked the easy to configure and very stable IRC / TS connections. Good job to the team!

I'll certainly mention it to the rest of the team. It should have been on the information sheets on your desk, along with telling you to enable DHCP. It's rare that people have non-DHCP DNS servers assigned.

Were you using Google DNS or another DNS server? One approach that other large LAN parties have used is to force all DNS traffic to their DNS servers. It breaks dnssec but no-one cares about that.

my entire network is using openDNS> It's configured globally on my home server however I also had it set for some reason locally on this computer.

• Similar Content

• By Tardcommander
      Good
      - LAN staff. Super organised and eventful LAN
      - Clan box, a nice way to spend a LAN
      - Weather!
      - Ye-hah burger discoveries
      - My LANbuddies
      - Costume competition fun
      - Ibb and fucking Obb
      - Community workshop, was nice to see how much people care. Also yay for more ladies loos!!
      Bad
      - Some of the catering, nuff said.
      - Not being able to play Sonic! Though lovely staff did try to help us!
      - No board game area. Boo!
      Ugly
      - Trying to clean my beard off!!
      Amazing LAN. Cant wait to come back <3
    • By MRated
      Community Timetable - http://www.epiclan.co.uk/epic13/timetable

This thread is for the community timetable feedback during the event. If you do have any issues or compliments, please either let the team know at the time or post them here. We are always looking to improve the social side of the events, so any suggestions are appreciated

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter