Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Kaneth

A Few Things

FTP (ftp://ftp) isn't working RESOLVED
Battle.net BEING RESOLVED
Rows L & M in Fair Isle on wrong subnet TICKET SENT

Edited by Kaneth

FTP sorted through that address, Murray working on the http version

Battlenet being investigated, possibly haven't been whitelisted yet by Blizzard, despite applying through usual process (have chased again)

Rizzo on way to check other issues, but probably not just your rows at the moment, in that usual everyone arriving and overloading connectivity time.

• Like 1

I'm going to be honest guys, I'm getting really F'ing fed up now. Entirety of yesterday I'm having problems connecting to any game. World of Warcraft IF I get online is unplayable due to latency.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, latency reads low BUT I get 60-80% choke and rubberband all over the place. The same is also applicable to Team Fortress 2. These are my primary online games that I spend my time playing and at the moment the event has NOT provided me with the facilities to play them.

I've spoken to the Admin Team at least 4 times now, last night I was told that a router needed to be replaced and it was a 4 hour turn around because somebody had to drive to the office to pick it up. Whoever thought it would be a great idea to leave the backup router behind is beyond me... but yeah, let's ignore that part. I've had a guy come over to my computer who then left and said he would send somebody back "shortly" - that was about 1.5 hours ago from the time of this post. This is a complete fucking shambles lads.

What is being done about it? I feel like as paying customers we should have some clear, concise information given to us in form of an official announcement over the PA or something because at the moment I might as well have stayed at home.

PS: Rumor going around that the tornament rooms internet is fine, did we not pay the same price tickets as the guys in the competitive room? 

Edited by lyang
  • Like 1

Guest poo2

yeah at the moment this event was nothing but a waste of time and money. i can't play any of the games i've come here to play, and having the admins tell me that its valve's fault for the CSGO lag is an obvious cop-out. looking at the CSGO subreddit you can see that nobody else is experiencing these issues, but the admin will tell me that it's valves problem while i'm still trying to get google.com to load properly.

i understand that this may be outside of your control but the massive logistical and financial effort that people put in to get to this event makes it very frustrating and a huge waste of money. i can't justify not asking for a refund if it continues to be like this for the remainder of the event as i have spent so much getting down here with friends.

the lack of communication is also very annoying, i should not have to seek out information, you should be regularly updating us on how long it will take etc.

Cannot load webpages, cs is laggy, losing connection every 30 seconds and insane packet loss and rubber banding, same with other games, they are completely unplayable.

This needs to be fixed asap, last epic i remember the internet being stable, and working, completely different this time round.

PS: Rumor going around that the tornament rooms internet is fine, did we not pay the same price tickets as the guys in the competitive room? 

Can confirm this is not the case. Problems exist across the board and the team are working as hard as they can to resolve issues. I'm also a little frustrated, but the LAN is working fine, so I suggest some SupraBall in the meantime :D

P.S DoD: Source in 30 on LAN

P.P.S Mine and Jon's efforts on Twitter should hopefully soon resolve the Battle.net issues

Edited by Kaneth

I've asked the tech team to put some detail here as soon as possible, it's a tough call to take them away from what they're working on to fix it to write this, but agree some updates are needed.

Sadly it's not one single issue at the moment and there a few inaccuracies in comments here that need to be corrected from a single factual source.

Still having abysmal connection issues on CSGO 60-80% loss and 10% choke, rubber-band lag all over the place. I'm not even bothering to attempt Warcraft until we have an official notification that we should be white listed.

I'm extremely disappointed as well. As others have said, there's been no communication until maybe over the last hour when you guys much have caught on that the majority of people aren't going to just accept that there's no internet. It should have been top priority from the moment the issues started (aka as soon as LAN started). 

I respect that we're paying a lesser price than some of the other UK LANs and so I don't expect to get the same sort of connection, but I do expect to be able to open Facebook, load a gif on Reddit, or... well just about anything internet related. As lyang has said: I feel as though I might as well have stayed home because so far this LAN has felt like a video game rehab, opposed to a video game retreat and if I were at home I would be playing games right now with friends (friends that have been counting on me to be present the last day and a half and have been let down due to no connectivity, same for my boyfriend who was supposed to be leading raids on WoW) And as some of the others said: it has been a tremendous waste of money and time (I can't even imagine how some of those who have flown in from other countries are feeling right now.)

The communication hasn't been professional at all and while I sympathise for the hassle some of the gamers have been giving the staff that might only have started volunteering recently I still feel as though there just isn't enough being done (or perhaps rather that there isn't enough that has been conveyed to us that has been done/getting done.)

I can't stay connected to IRC, I can't stay connected to TeamSpeak, I can't load basic web pages, I can't load images. Big Screen for epic hardly works, I can't load the streams of the competitions (which I can't imagine are going well regardless), I can't stay connected to Steam, or any online games for more than maybe a few minutes here and there. I've been forced to play single player offline games because online just isn't an option. I'm lucky (if you can really call it that) that I have some offline games installed because there are plenty of people that don't and as a result have to blow spit bubbles or get drunk (on expensive bar drinks which I accept isn't down to you but if we were able to games I wouldn't be as fussed about having to pay so much for drinks) for amusement. 

I respect what you guys are doing, the whole LAN, the hours and the effort that goes into it and all, but it's just not good enough when so many have paid for their tickets, their travel, their hotels/dorms, their food, drink and other such stuff. I'm not sure I'll come back again if I'm honest, and I can only imagine that the majority of those that have come this year for the first time are in the same mind. 

Really poor show guys, it really needs to be stepped up.

Sorry you feel that way but I can promise you that this issue has been taken very seriously since we opened and has continued to be worked on through the night and all day up to this point. Murray and his tech team and the rest of the team have not stopped today trying to sort it and while we might not have been in contact from the start it was mostly due to not quite knowing what was causing the issues and also that the people who had the most knowledge on the subject were busy working on it and trying to get it fixed for everybody so had no time to post it's difficult to find a balance between pulling them off the work to send out information.

I have been tweeting and facebooking out as much as I can to let you guys know that we have been working on the issues and will be delays I'm not tech so couldnt give out much in depth info, as i say we have been working on it since the LAN opened. We have asked that people be patient while we work to get it fixed for everyone and as much as we test the equipment and things you never quite know how it will react to 400 people. We understand this is far from great but we are doing the best we can and we apologise.

• Like 5

LAN = Local area network

Issues with CS fine, be upset everyreason. Blizzard are failing at their end also not epics fault.  But moaning about Warcraft and facebook? (i dont mean for that to sound personal, its a common comment)  that's what people come to a LAN for? I always thought the clue of the event was in the name. If you wanted to play wow and go on Facebook, a LAN event probably isn't the place to come, is it? The FTP has a good 10 Free games, that require no internet to download. and many games on steam have LAN modes. Ive had the same issues as most, but perhaps myself and my friends were better prepared. there has been fantastic tournaments and LAN games, blur, cod, dota, hidden, armagedatron, gangbeats, chivalry, cs fun maps, Garys mod. have all worked perfectly, Ive not needed the internet, because i didnt come here with the intentions of playing online required only games. and tommorow i look forward to Unreal, golden eye, TF2, and many other games the staff will host if i just ask. which have the most confidence will run perfectly

The internal Team speak has been stable and essentially perfect all LAN. cant see any need to use external teamspeaks, the local one is fine. I'm no where near into wow as many others are But LANs all have network issues.  Insomnia had a power cut that lasted for hours! not to long ago, at least we have all had our computers being able to stay on to play our single player or local games.  

I believe people will always come back to epic. I dont feel its the faceless LAN that another well knwon large lan is, I come up from southampton every time. a good 3 to 4 hour drive, and not once have a had a bad time, staff always answer questions if you just ask. Just go up to them and ask for an update, they cant be fixing problems if they are wondering up and down isles telling people face to face. When ever the net was going down in the social hall, beej and mrated always made a large clear shout out to let us know. 

The big screens not working? where, the one in the social hall never stopped working and i haven't noticed anything wrong in the gallery.

Its sad to hear not all of you have had the best of times, but there is a reason Epic has sold out. the people who come know the staff, know the hard work and understand that they would never put in so little prepwork that this trouble would happen. Epic will continue to sell out for many years to come. Looking forward to the day the start opening up the theater.

I have had an awsome time this lan, Quiz was great, games have been perfect so far, not had a single issue in the soical hall, been great catching up with old friends and playing some good ol' board games,  Keep up the good work all. From a very happy LANNER

• Like 7

Happy Saturday everyone!

While I appreciate the kind words of various people on this thread (And i'm sure the rest of the team do also!) I don't want this to become a witchhunt for those that are having their gripes with a small part of the event.

Yeah we had a rough start to the event and it's something that's been investigated non-stop by tech team and as we approached the later hours of Friday wasn't fixed until this point. From my perspective I'd be disapointed to hear of someone not wanting to return for the next epic.LAN, so I'm going to be getting myself a classic KCC breakfast and then I plan on making sure that everyone I come across is having the best time they possibly can be.

Because at the end of the day guys, call me Mr Flinstone - I know how to make all your bed-rocks! If anyone needs me then feel free to drop by the Media area for a chat or further more grab me on my travels.

Peace out.

• Like 2