Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Mintopia

epic14 - Technical Update 20/2/15 (17:30)

Hi guys,

I'm the technical manager and it's ultimately my responsibility to make sure that this is working. Firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their patience while we're working through these problems. I'll just go into a bit of details about what's happened and where we are:

The first problem is that the router we use for the Internet connections at the event started suffering performance issues. This is due to the network card in it failing to work correctly under load in pfSense (the router software we use). This was causing high CPU usage and the connections to be near-unusable. The solution we decided on was to go and fetch the old router we used to use until July last year and bring that back into use. This is why we sent someone over to our storage unit to fetch it. This was swapped out at 1AM and started to improve things. We didn't bring this router with us as we'd decommissioned it and didn't expect to use it. The existing router that we replaced had been tested at multiple events before this one and hadn't exhibited any problems so it wasn't something we were expecting to cause a problem.

The second issue we're experiencing is that Blizzard failed to whitelist our IPs. We submitted them a few months ago as we normally do to Blizzard, but it seems they only whitelisted them in the US. We've managed to get hold of them today and they're being whitelisted in the next few hours. We expect this to resolve the problems with BattleNet that we've been having.

We do traffic shape the connection and we do provide limits to everyone. There's an ultimate 1mbps up and 4mbps down limit for everyone. There's is no discrimination between network and Internet for either the social gamers in Lakeside and Pendeen, or the tournament gamers in Fair Isle. I'm currently working on tweaking the traffic shaping profile to lower the latency and make games playable, and I hope you start seeing an improvement in it soon.

Finally there is what looks to be a network issue in Pendeen where we are seeing packet loss back to the core network. The network team are looking at this right now and are replacing the network switch.

I hope this helps. If you want to talk to me, I'm around the management office or ask for Murray-Mint.

• Like 6

Guest dsjackson

Keep up the work Murray there is a pint at the end of all this i'm sure of it. 

Guest shcKr-

Thanks for the update and the effort in trying to resolve it quickly.

We are currently trying to playing the CS:GO tournament however the LAN servers keep going down. The admin has said there are some issues with the network, do you know when the LAN network is likely to be stable?

Have faith in the Tech Team they are working their hardest to ensure we can get things running smoothly!

Thanks for the update and the effort in trying to resolve it quickly. We are currently trying to playing the CS:GO tournament however the LAN servers keep going down. The admin has said there are some issues with the network, do you know when the LAN network is likely to be stable?

We're currently seeing a server issue around reservation lobbies that we're looking into right now.

As a brief further update while Murray & team are continuing to fix things, the majority of the issues within our control have now been resolved and we believe that the Blizzard whitelisting has filtered through to EU Battlenet.

The remaining issues are now with a 3rd party (the ISP) to further compound things. The venue's technical consultant is currently on the phone to senior personnel within the ISP to get it resolved as the highest priority and we will not stop pursuing them until it is back up to an acceptable standard for all of you.

Thank you to everyone concerned; I know how hard you're all waorking to get it working.

Personally speaking (and I know I can't do this very well ATM), the internet issues haven't affected my enjoyment of being here one bit. I've played everything I wanted to (TM, DOD:S, Surpaball, Blur + others and if I haven't been playing, I have been doing the best thing about LAN - being social. Talking to people I don't see for months on end more than makes up for a few technical issues!

• Like 7

We're currently seeing a server issue around reservation lobbies that we're looking into right now.

I have another update in relation to this - we've fixed a problem with the way tournament servers were being allocated that should have fixed the problems!

Here's the latest update for you. The problem has been identified at the ISP and they're working to solve it. The connections are currently running at 20% of the speed they should be which is the cause of the current issues. The connections will be fixed by 10:30PM-11:00PM at the latest, but may be fixed a lot sooner. I apologise for all the convenience this has caused, and I appreciate everyone's patience while we've been getting this sorted.

Thanks for the update Murray & Team! :)

Fingers crossed everything settles down this evening (Pub quiz will certainly help idle machines get their knickers out of a twist whilst people are AFK I think!)

I've got an update for you. It's looking a lot better this evening. The ISP look to have resolved the issues and the connections are looking much much better. We look to be at full speed on them, and I'll be keeping an eye through the next hour or so and first thing in the morning.

We're currently seeing no dropped traffic on any of the connections. Again, I'd like to thank everyone for your patience and if you have any questions or want to talk about what we've done, the problems we've had or any other technical questions, please call by the office on the first floor or grab me when I'm wandering around, I'll always try to find time for anyone!

• Like 1

Seems much improved today on general browsing, Thanks for all the hard work you have all done. Personally the LAN itself has been running fine and all scheduled fun games have run without a hitch :)

• Like 1

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter