Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Winbar

A note about Speedtest

Quite a few people running Speedtest at the moment to look at the internet speeds, but a couple of things to point out with that:

Speed test does not tell you the total connection coming in to the event, we have multiple connections with a couple of ISPs for redundancy and your traffic is routed out through one of those connections.

We also rate limit every client on the network to stop individuals using all of the bandwidth, so at most you would only ever see your rate-limited portion of the speed.

Lastly, Speedtest is designed to max out your connection for the duration of the test, so if loads of people keep running speed test, you're hammering the connection for everyone else which all adds up and slows things even more.

So if we could politely ask people don't use Speedtest, it would help. The tech team would be quite happy to explain the overall bandwidth if you're interested in the technical side of things.

You'd probably get more sense popping to Bede (the room) and having a chat to one of the bods as its easier to explain in person when they can show you what's going on. I'm sure Murray will give you an insight if you're genuinely interested he's always happy to spend the time ... (I regularly go and ask questions!)

Although tonight they've been dealing with Pub Quiz & aftermath since 8 so there's not really been many people around at their desks in there :)

• Like 1

Just wanted to backup what Matt has said. Pop along to the management office tomorrow and I'll talk you through what we're doing and what's involved!

For people who are interested, as part of testing the connections this evening, I've ran a few speedtests on the connection we've been using for our Steamcache. For reference it's a 40/10 VDSL line with Fasthosts.

4159013074.png

This is the first speedtest I ran. Here you can see that we limit everyone to a virtual pipe that is 3mbps down and 1mbps up. This is enough to allow you to stream from Twitch, browse the net normally and play games, but not enough to allow one person to consume all the bandwidth we have.

Here's a speedtest without the restriction in place:

4159015537.png

Here you can see the full speed of the connection, which is what we'd expect to see.

I'll be running some speedtests on the other connections early in the morning when no-one's around (to minimise impact) and I'll post them here as well.

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter