flibblesan

Fantastic event!

Guest WitchDrAsh

Yeah, first epic.LAN and really enjoyed it, apart from the power outs. The lack of good beer at the bar was a pisser though, not your fault however!

A couple of criticisms, it wasn't that until the tail end of the second day that there was much organised gaming, perhaps being an old man it took place post 2am after I'd gone to bed. Also when games were organised there wasn't much warning, so we couldn't got get our trial copies sorted, I definitely missed out on a few things because I couldn't get the files quickly enough. Would it be possible to perhaps timetable in some major games (not tournaments, just general games) before the event so people know when stuff, especially the more unusual stuff (e.g. Jedi Knight 2) is so we have plenty of time to get the games beforehand, and flash it up on the projector occasionally?

The team thing is another point I've read above that I agree with, seeing as the only person I knew there was Superchief getting a team was hard work, perhaps setting up a tournament with random teams at some point to encourage people to interact who wouldn't normally, as well as put everyone on a level playing field. Certainly something done at MGS lans and worked pretty well.

Only other thing I can think of is the infrastructure with the ftp and www section was pretty nice, would it be possibly to let people post info to that so if they want to set up games/other stuff/etc outside the normal structure it can announce it on the projector people can see other stuff going on being organised spontaneously. E.g. Werewolves at 02:00 for all interested (missed that game sounded epic when I had it explained to me)

Plus points where when games were shouted out they were full and ran smoothly, BBQ awesome, shouldn't I get an achievement for my steak sandwich creating? Great group of people, talked to plenty of good people while a bit pissed at the bar. 3 days well spent so thanks for organising it all!

WDA

I do like the idea of more big games but... there is a line between setting up big games and telling people what to play (maybe set something up on the intranet site so people can vote on what to play in time slots two a day maybe), we did have a few big games of tf2 over the lan, C&C RA2,Armagetron, prop hunt and CS:S gun game.

I do think the L4D torny seemed to run for to long, it was still being played on sunday wasn't it ? o.o

The good:

Couldn't find a list of achievements so I couldn't really look at whoring the list

There is no list for exactly that reason ;)

Was an Epic event and a good farewell to Brandies, First and foremost thanks to all the staff for there hard work and taking the time off to help setup an run the events,

Secondly thanks for everyone else coming to the event as for me its you guys that make this better than any other UK lan.

As for the event itself, we got there late on thusday night and this is when the power cut hit (not us honest), But it was only a power cut and we were back up in no time at all.

the fun competitions running throughout the event were fun and it was good too see things like what Niveks row had done with the theming. Also I have seen one of the videos for the other competition and its really really good.

The L4D tournament as people have stated did seem to go on for too long, Unfortunatly this cant be helped in a double elim, it was worse for us as we won most of our matches and got into the final, Bash Bash Bash. Next time it would be good to see maybe sacrafising the safety of the double elim and use single just so there is more lan to enjoy as I missed a LOT of big games playing the tourney.

The big games, As said above having it with a rough schedule would be good I did get angelus to get TF2 going an hour before I started to pack up just so I could play something else:p

werewolves, I think most enjoyed themselves and the more we keep playing the better the games will get :)

BBQ - was lovely shame about the rain at points, but the food was excellent so thanks for all the staff involved.

Epic Hunt - found this very difficult and gave up after the first real question, maybe make some of the earlier questions easier so i dont feel completly useless :P

boat race - good on pepper taking one for the team.

Good event lads, really enjoyed it and will be back for Epic.Three. I only had one criticism, the achievement system. A lot of them appear to be for some negative things and I didn't see many positive. Could do with more and maybe a list would of been nice, but keeping some secret?

Do you actually have a list of all achievements that were possible? Just a bit curious what the rest might of been?

But as I said before, apart from those it was brilliant. Now back to TF2 :)

Do you actually have a list of all achievements that were possible? Just a bit curious what the rest might of been?

The good:

Couldn't find a list of achievements so I couldn't really look at whoring the list

There is no list for exactly that reason ;)

achievements are children and console-tards, its a bit of fun and NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!

I only had one criticism, the achievement system. A lot of them appear to be for some negative things and I didn't see many positive. Could do with more and maybe a list would of been nice, but keeping some secret?

Out of the 38 or so achievements that can currently be attained 32 are for positive things, 2 are for PC failure, 2 are for drink accidents, 1 is for falling sleep and 1 is for being ill.

The list is kept secret otherwise we will end up with people purposefully trying to attain certain achievements and it's more fun to surprise people with new ones when they are made...

Good event lads, really enjoyed it and will be back for Epic.Three. I only had one criticism, the achievement system. A lot of them appear to be for some negative things and I didn't see many positive.

Escaped from Mercy Hospital \o/

I made sooooooo many announcements about the cake! Was on Saturday Night after the quiz, and still some left on Sunday morning!

Guest timmy

yes i do admit.. manda had 10 slices!!!!! not that i had anything to do with it ;)

I made sooooooo many announcements about the cake! Was on Saturday Night after the quiz, and still some left on Sunday morning!

Yes, that was something I was going to mention. Us lot right at the back found it hard to hear announcements over the music. And the music was so loud during the day that you could still hear it when playing a game.

Thats the only complaint. Everything else was great!

Stealing my feedback thread, grr. Anyway.

Good:

My general box lot, again

Meeting new people

Winning the epic.Hunt (it wasn't all 12 of us that took part, please bear that in mind - and Niax never got his achievement for that) and prizes

Coming 4th again in the epic.Quiz!

Cake

My brownies

Showers

Breakfasts

New mouse :)

Sleeping area, made myself a tiny fort and got perfect amounts of sleep

Niax's parents made me a roast dinner when we got back last night

Cheap drinks (£1.30 for a J20 made me happy since it's £2.20 back home)

Games! TF2 (even though it was full the majority of the time), BoTA, TD and I played no L4D or Audiosurf!

Fish and chips from the local

Glowsticks

Being abused by people sticking glowsticks in my hair

Bad:

My lactose intolerance (lack of eating chocolate makes me sad, I have a massive stash of it now from LAN)

Powercuts

Lag because of certain people downloading from DC constantly!

Our constant switch changes. It may have been one, but it was enough!

BBQ - only got hot dogs but I wasn't too fussed. Just a shame I couldn't get a burger

Brandies being knocked down, but sadly I can't change that :P

Wasn't aware of we had to sign up at LAN for L4D tournament, though we realised it was too late when Omni went up to the staff desk. We thought it was just signing up on the forums. Nevermind.

Nivek reminded me that the bands weren't checked on the way in the building - they were on the first day but not for the rest that I saw. epic.ONE I was asked every time or I just shoved it in people's faces. I thought I'd be less "in your face" for this LAN. :P

Ugly:

Shazz needs a belt <3

GOOD:

Werewolves

Prop Hunt - Big Game :D

Team Fortress 2 - Big Games

Pub Quiz

Bar Staff

BBQ

Kustom PCs

BAD:

Left 4 Dead tourney - Nothing wrong with it just realised how bored of that game I am now.

Astrolox owning me at werewolves. The realisation that he was actually a werewolf came too late. >.<

Swyfts catch phrases, "Caught red handed" ... wtf?

UGLY:

Network - Was on the same row as SBB, I had faster internet on my mobile phone Thursday - Friday and was pinging insanely high in local LAN games. So all I could do for first day was play single player stuff, initial complaints were ignored.

Lights - Point them at the roof, point them at the floor, or back on the stage but not down at people. Having a permanent bright light in the corner of yours eye is not nice when playing games. Heard more than one complaint from people about getting headaches from them.

Stealing my feedback thread, grr. Anyway.

Sorry :oops:

Good:

Fish and chips from the local

Lakeside Fish Bar is legend! Food was amazing and so many chips for the money!

Bad:

BBQ - only got hot dogs but I wasn't too fussed. Just a shame I couldn't get a burger

Burgers took an age to turn up. Pity you didn't get one :(

We still had burgers left but people stopped eating them! We just kept cooking until people stopped eating!

Niax never got his achievement for that)

Will sort that out for niax later as there are a few other achievements which will need to be given for the photo and video competition winners as well..

We still had burgers left but people stopped eating them! We just kept cooking until people stopped eating!

I ate so much at that BBQ. It was going on so long that later arrivers managed to eat some!

LOL, that pile of chicken that went on at the end!

We went to a different fish and chip shop, it was in Crewe. So I suppose it isn't local as in the village, but it's the one opposite Domino's in Crewe :)

Guest daftchip

The L4D tournament as people have stated did seem to go on for too long, Unfortunatly this cant be helped in a double elim, it was worse for us as we won most of our matches and got into the final, Bash Bash Bash. Next time it would be good to see maybe sacrafising the safety of the double elim and use single just so there is more lan to enjoy as I missed a LOT of big games playing the tourney.

the double elim is the only reason u got the final since we beat u in the second round before doing so again on a different map in the final :)

l4d tourney (it'd be nice to see a diagram somewhere so you could see other folks results)

^this so badly!

and angelus said this was coming at some point with an announcement of placings of the teams...

we had a green line all the way to the top with only dying on 4 rounds in the whole tourney!!

Guest timmy

I think people got bored of losing... LOL

Have to say I was a bit bemused why more burgers weren't being cooked as, at one point, almost the entire queue was waiting for those yet only about a quarter of the BBQ was given over to them. Surely would have been better to be cooking shedloads more of those to start with?

Got to the point where ppl who were waiting for other stuff (most of whom had already had a burger) were invited to jump the "burger queue". Think some ppl waiting for burgers (and who hadn't eaten yet) were probably getting a bit peeved that ppl were getting seconds before they'd had firsts.

Niax never got his achievement for that)

Will sort that out for niax later as there are a few other achievements which will need to be given for the photo and video competition winners as well..

How do we see achievements now, without the intranet? Are they on here somewhere?

Because the vegetarian stuff had to be cooked first so that it wasn't in contact with any of the other food. And I had half the BBQ all the time while burgers were cooking, they were actually coming off quite quickly when they were on, but people were eating them as quickly as they were going on.

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter