Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Mintopia

epic.FIFTEEN - Technical Feedback

Hi everyone! We're just wrapping things up and getting ready for packing down the LAN. From the entire technical team of Rizzo, Matthab and me, thanks for coming.

Please post any feedback you have for us on the network, internet and anything else technical. We made a lot of improvements in both the internal network and the Internet connections since epic.FOURTEEN and from our perspective it went well, but we want to know what you think.

Also, here's some random stats as of 2PM on Sunday:

• Downloaded from the Internet: 2.66TB
  • Uploaded to the Internet: 518GB
  • Downloaded from the Steam Cache to the LAN: 2.05TB
  • Downloaded from the Internet to the Steam Cache: 540GB
  • Peak bandwidth between Core and Lakeside: 400mbps
  • Peak bandwidth between Core and Fair Isle: 750mbps
  • Peak bandwidth between Core and Longstone: 500mbps
  • Total Unique Network Devices: 761
  • Wireless Devices: 352
  • Wired Devices: 409
  • Like 7

Yeah same here, no issues what so ever, I might be the same as a few others in thinking best to download before the event started, especially after 14, this felt like there was less pressure on the network, and apart from a bit of browsing and a 200mb patch for wows I barely used the net at all, performance was great all weekend though 30-40ms lag.

Edited by Dukey

The network was perfect all lan, a massive improvement over epic fourteen. Nice Job :)

Internet was spot on! Got a solid 300KB/s each time I downloaded anything and didn't have a single issue day or night. Wifi felt a bit slow on my phone even for casual browsing. Are the same 3Mbps/1Mbps limits in place on there too?

Internet was spot on! Got a solid 300KB/s each time I downloaded anything and didn't have a single issue day or night. Wifi felt a bit slow on my phone even for casual browsing. Are the same 3Mbps/1Mbps limits in place on there too?

The same limits are in place on the wifi. I think the reason for the wifi being a bit slow was interference from some rogue access points in the building. I'll take it up with them in the next few weeks as I know they've also been having slow speeds in some areas of the venue.

• Like 1

Guest thatbloke

Was pretty good, although on attempting to play BF4 on Thursday night myself and a friend were experiencing some packetloss, rendering the game unplayable.

Latency was fine, and no-one not on the epic network were having the same issues.

Using the in-game network performance overlay showed the packets being dropped quite frequently.

I did report it to the helpdesk in Lakeside and admittedly I didn't actually try playing the game again over the weekend so I don't know if the problem was ever resolved.

Aside from that, everything else on the network was awesome - had no other problems with anything else.

Thanks!

Was pretty good, although on attempting to play BF4 on Thursday night myself and a friend were experiencing some packetloss, rendering the game unplayable.

Latency was fine, and no-one not on the epic network were having the same issues.

Using the in-game network performance overlay showed the packets being dropped quite frequently.

I did report it to the helpdesk in Lakeside and admittedly I didn't actually try playing the game again over the weekend so I don't know if the problem was ever resolved.

Aside from that, everything else on the network was awesome - had no other problems with anything else.

Thanks!

We did make some changes based on your report. We added the TCP ports for BF4 to the firewall and traffic shaping so they'd correctly be classed as gaming traffic and prioritised. This should be fine at future events.

Another great LAN,  I had some issues with the speed the steam cache seemed to be updating games on the Thursday night, spoke to our technical demigod, and hey presto, we got much quicker download speeds. :)

Do you have reports on how much bandwidth each room used?

• Like 1

On Friday my PC decided to die in dramatic fashion causing a dash up to Derbyshire to grab my sons PC (my old one) as a replacement. Plugged in, logged on, Windows updates streamed down, rebooted, logged onto Steam and installed the games I wanted to play quickly. I know you have the Steam cache but I was impressed at how quickly I could get it up and running. I even managed to play some TF2 and Trackmania online with sub 15 ping which Is as good as I have at home!

Good work Murray & Team -- network was awesome all event (except for aforementioned BF4 issues which have already been addressed :D)

Only niggle I had was the wifi being very very slow most of the time. Vast improvement over fourteen, gj!

• Peak bandwidth between Core and Lakeside: 400mbps

That was mostly me and my floating steam streaming laptop ;)

Which worked absolutely flawlessly, the only issue I had all LAN was IPv6 causing every game to fail to connect. Will leave it disabled forever.

That was mostly me and my floating steam streaming laptop ;)

Which worked absolutely flawlessly, the only issue I had all LAN was IPv6 causing every game to fail to connect. Will leave it disabled forever.

LOL

Edited by Robert

Cheers guys we worked hard to not have a repeat of 14. We do have improvements planned for 16 which should only be minor.

Cheers guys we worked hard to not have a repeat of 14. We do have improvements planned for 16 which should only be minor.

Do tell! :)

Do tell! :)

We will update you all in the epic.Sixteen thread. It all depends on if we get some more new kit and how much time we have.

Dont want to excite you all :-P

more music pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzz

tetris (games in concert version)

Yeah we're working on a genre-rotation system for next event :)

• Like 2

Can we make the music system actually play our requests in a timely fashion rather than 40 minutes after the request was made? :P I kept missing the songs, lol. Nobody else had requested in hours either.

I know Haden and JoeShow are going to look at the music to fix some of the rotation problems with it, so if they can reduce the delay, they will. The main reason for this delay is to prevent it being a direct request system. There's some crazy licensing rules if you allow people to request music and have it play almost instantly, but we should be able to reduce it down from 40 minutes.

Cool, even just 10-15 minutes would be reasonable. It was OK at epic.Thirteen and seemed to play them quite quickly.

Is there any way for us to request music that isn't in the library? I noticed some fairly new and some common songs weren't there, and some from previous events had been removed.

I know Haden and JoeShow are going to look at the music to fix some of the rotation problems with it, so if they can reduce the delay, they will. The main reason for this delay is to prevent it being a direct request system. There's some crazy licensing rules if you allow people to request music and have it play almost instantly, but we should be able to reduce it down from 40 minutes.

I was wondering how you got around that, I guess you either fall just inside or outside of being a bar with a Jukebox in it!

Cool, even just 10-15 minutes would be reasonable. It was OK at epic.Thirteen and seemed to play them quite quickly.

Is there any way for us to request music that isn't in the library? I noticed some fairly new and some common songs weren't there, and some from previous events had been removed.

Yeah just let us know and we'll try and get them into the library for next event :)

EDIT

epic.SIXTEEN Music request thread is up: https://forums.epiclan.co.uk/index.php?/topic/6203-music-library-requests-suggestions-audio-feedback/

Edited by Haden

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter