Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Dukey

epic.FIFTEEN - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Surprised nobody has set up this tread yet, but here it is anyway, an opportunity to add your two cents and let the the Epic Lan staff know what you thought of the event

THE GOOD -

• 404's turnout to the event was the best since i43, and it was awesome meeting a few of the newer members too
  • The Epic Lan Staff did a sterling job of running the event and everything in my eyes was absolutely perfect, i knew if i had issues at the event that i felt needed to be heard, i knew there would be someone i could talk too
  • fixing the pinball machine twice at the event, and seeing a good number of you all enjoying it,
  • the BBQ and subsequent pub quiz both great. 
  • breakfast was spot on every day
  • The KCC being an awesome venue and the view over the lake from the campsite was ace, the staff as far as i'm concerned were great as well.
  • finding a number of bugs and issues with the pinball machine that i will be able to fix, thanks to everyone who gave it a try

THE BAD - 

• downstairs bar not being open, would have loved that to be open and would have saved me a lot of walking 
  • the showers when i used them were a bit smelly, and had a lot of hair clogging the drains? 
  • some random people using our BBQ and chairs in the campsite without even asking first, we had a quick word, but still 
  • 24/7 party music in the loud hall, i liked the music overall at the event, but umpth umpth umpth at 9am got a bit tiresome by 9pm 
  • my chair falling on the pinball machine in the van and breaking the screen, fortunately a replacement was found and installed
  • not being able to get pitches of ale, having to deal with fosters, so choose not to.
  • as far as i could tell no crates of beer for sale which made drinking an expensive hobby,  can this be looked into by the KCC ? surely they can find a good supplier of cans or bottles so i'm not walking around the venue spilling my pints everywhere. 

THE UGLY - 

• Paying for Camping and then not really seeing the benefit so to speak, i mean i saw the security guy lying on the ground one night but for the rest of the event saw nobody??? i think i paid £20 or something to pitch my tent. its a sizable sum, and didn't really see the point or the value in it sadly.

got to say a big thanks to everyone it was an awesome event and i really had to nit pick to get some bad points out, it was faultlessly run and this is how Lan should be done in every sense of it. please don't change a  thing to how you run it with the KCC, you should all be very proud, i don't speak for the 20 or so of us who came from 404games, but i don't think any of us had a issue with the event at all. 

final point, i'm gonna set up a feedback thread for the pinball table in a little bit, if you had a go, give us your feedback, i know of a number of issues i need to look into, but still theres probably stuff i need to look into, thanks for letting me bring it to the event, i'll definitely bring it again in future if you guys want me to. 

The good:

- The internet was spot on this time. Many thanks to the tech guys and KCC for getting this sorted! Not a single issue the whole event - browsing was a tad slow at times but totally bearable. 

- Not being next to some noisy buggers in the sleeping room this time! I actually managed to sleep well rather than being woken up by giggling, light shows from their phones and farting!

- Spotted an issue on the servers page regarding number of players on the server being stuck on the wrong value and it was fixed within a couple of hours :)

- Loving the new epiclan.co.uk homepage. I can't wait for the rest of the site to follow :)

The bad:

- The catering not having any hot dogs despite it being on the menu. I quite looked forward to having one for lunch but had no luck. This happened last event too with the meatballs for one of the meals which was removed but nobody told (if I remember rightly). KCC need to make sure that whatever is offered and put on the menu is actually available as some people may be relying on their catering for the whole event.

The ugly:

- Nothing ugly from me this time :)

The Good - 

• Internet was great, didn't feel like I slow at any point
  • Internal stream, ( once I remembered it was a thing ) 
  • DJ FLY TIPPING was a bloody sensation. 
  • Sleeping halls being kept cool, 
  • Nice to have a wider range of tunes this time round.I
  • Having my close up with Kensington. ( That's right! first name basis! ).....well my computer at least....nice to know my computer is more photogenic than I am
  • ( The email on the photographers email isn't correct unfortunately, if anyone wants it message TankGirl)......Wait.....she has his email.... :boggle:

The Bad-

• To call this bad is probably unfair, I think I was just spoilt from last event. but I didn't feel there was many occasions I needed to leave downstairs other than the quiz. Over the past few events we had gatherings upstairs to partake in Gang Beasts, N64 Golden eye, Goat simulator with on demand casting by the Big Dill himself. We even had Mario Kart and super smash the event before that too.  I noticed that there wasn't that many sponsors, but I don't think we are also so greedy that we wouldn't have played if no prizes were available. I appreciate the 404 guys putting a small game on. But not many of us are up for downing a pint and shots at 12:00....I've only just woken up!

• Could the air-con fans be slightly adjusted to the time of day? in the mornings the room was really cold with the majority of rigs being turned off. The temperature throughout the day was fine but it was the breeze from the strong fans that were making it rather cold under the vents.

The Ugly -

• Choke lossing the Dota.....Fucksake doopz how long are you going to put me though this pain! All week I watch, all week I cheer....I missed games to watch you play. I just want see you happy Doopz! I just wanna see you happy. It hurts.....please doopz, win..... for me.
  • Like 1

@Neon_Rabbit Adjusting the speed of the fan means the room won't keep at the right temperature (I have this issue in work and HR won't fix it!). Remember the air-con wasn't designed to cope with ~100 PC's in the room so it's naturally going to get cooler when PC's are off and heat up again later when it can't quite cope. It all averages out in the end but to adjust it when it's cold might mean the room gets too hot later when it can't cope. I just took a hoodie with me and used it when it got a bit nippy. I was sat under a vent in July and was a bit cold without a hoodie but fine with it on.

I appreciate the 404 guys putting a small game on. But not many of us are up for downing a pint and shots at 12:00....I've only just woken up!

WEAKNESS. You are not yet conditioned for an optimal LAN experience.

Edited by Ale
  • Like 2

The Good

The people, it's always good to spend some time with LAN buddies and both the epic.LAN and KCC staff were on fine form.  Thank you!

My Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG game.  I was worried about having enough players and ended up running a table of ten because I don't like turning folk away.  It was a handful but I enjoyed it.  Sorry it was a short session but I did manage to be back at my PC for DOD:S

Winning the pub quiz.

Jackbox Party on the big screen, thanks Jobabob.

The Bad

Losing the boat race (but, y'know well done to all who took part and all that)

The Ugly

Shandy drinking, bed sleeping Americans.  TBH Mcclane should probably change his nickname to Roger Murtaugh

7c9b03d033a74176fd88bd99864ab7d728a3e350

Please also spare a moments thought for my £12 Tesco value tent which passed away after doing sterling service for the last three summer LANs.  Unbeknownst to me until I set it up on Thursday it had sustained some damage, possibly during the great camping shenanigans of Epic.Thirteen.   It finally expired on Sunday and though I'll miss it I'll be glad to replace it with something with a little more room!

Edited by M0RT
  • Like 3

Guest barrybasher

The Good

The internet, it was spot on this lan no issues from me

The food, cheesy chips with barbecue sauce love it.

Winning the minecraft hunger games and killing joeshow, very satisfying :D

The Bad

How quick it always seems and having to leave 

Could get abit chilly under the air con but not to bad with some extra clothing 

The Ugly

nothing ugly 

7c9b03d033a74176fd88bd99864ab7d728a3e350

THE GODLY

-attack from mars

-scared stiff

-dex,s age test(who has actialy done the age test)

THE GOOD

-wererwolves

-food

-pinball(nice bit of nostalga)

-being roped into mario party(was not planing on playing)

-minecraft

-epic and kettering(thank you)

THE BAD

-the minecraft server glitch ruining my plan i had lots of dirt and arrows :twisted:

-the pinball not quite working fully(thanks for bringing it anyway 404 bring it again)

THE UGLY

-dex

-the amout of board games i played(0)tsk needs rectified

THE WICKED

-the movie theme round in the pub quiz

Edited by left-one

I'm still rekt so I'm needing to sit and think about my good, bads, and uglies but the main thing I saw as bad was the pub quiz. The questions were all kinds of wat and it ended up going on for like three hours which would be fine in an actual pub where the pub quiz is more of a night out, but I felt like half way through I just wanted to get on with some gaming, drinking and other LAN things. It really needs to be condensed into an hour and a half or two hours.

It really needs to be condensed into an hour and a half or two hours.

The quiz didn't start till gone 8:30 and was final result was around 10:50, its not that far off 2 hours!

However as you also said the following..

rekt

the questions were all kinds of wat

.. I will instead chuckle quietly to myself

• Like 4

We had aimed for a 2 hour limit when planning (that's why we dropped 2 rounds compared to 2014) but we were asked by participants to put the 2nd break in when we were going to run straight through to the end, plus the 3 way tie that we couldn't really predict.

We had aimed for a 2 hour limit when planning (that's why we dropped 2 rounds compared to 2014) but we were asked by participants to put the 2nd break in when we were going to run straight through to the end, plus the 3 way tie that we couldn't really predict.

Quite a number of us are smokers that, once we have had a drink, need to smoke. We appreciate the break.

Good

Everything just worked ... well besides GTA-V but that got fixed very quickly, so meh

Internet was rock solid, very reliable and allowed me to download some apps I wanted

Having a projector in Longstone was cool

Lots of awesome people to play games with - Supcom, and TF2 were especially fun

Lots of cool people wanting to play werewolves

Meeting new people

Cake - big thanks :)

Bad

Fire alarm went off at 8am in the dorms area - same issue as previous event I presume?

Bar ran out of ice

Had to ask for gallery music to be turned down because we could hear it in Longstone in the early hours

Drunk people turning up to play werewolves, then proceeding to disrupt the game and just spill beer all over the floor and my cards. Problem was solved, but mildly frustrating.

Edited by Astrolox

The good

-The internet

-The amazing social team new and returning

-Breakfast was so nom

-As usual everyone was so nice!

-Winning the boat race #getrektpunters

-The venue and their amazing staff who were super helpful

The bad

-Me sucking at beer pong and making Winbar disapointed

-Tiny chicken burgers

The ugly

-The view down the media corridor on Sunday morning (see @epiclan on Twitter)

-Nivek

The good:

> The weather. It was hella warm at times, but it was nice being able to pop outside for a bit and enjoy the sunshine

> The staff. I know I was one of them, but as a newbie this time round - you were all awesome!

> The pub quiz; The questions, Ts&Cs, Joe's slut dropping, and 404's artistic contribution.

> The bar and the bar staff.

> The interwebs was brilliant all weekend.

> Werewolves. Thanks, again, to Gunmens and Astro for being super-mods and making this happen every night.

> The DJ sets. Amazing!

The bad:

> Not being a proper adult and thinking I could be productive on less than 4 hours sleep pretty much every night.

> Leaving on Sunday

The ugly:

> The dorm shower on Sunday morning

> The abundance of willies I saw on Chat Roulette. I'm just glad I wasn't wearing my glasses!

THE GOOD -

• The staff. Can't credit you guys enough. The work put in before and during the event was incredible.
  • The continuing tales of Winbars rump exploits in space.
  • Coming second in the pub quiz. We technically could have won if we weren't drunk and loud, as one of our members tried to tell us one of the correct answers that would have gotten us out of the tie break!
  • Skerby Derby Der
  • TF2. 404's policy of 'Stack and Destroy' clearing the server within a few rounds. We apologise for nothing.
  • 25 shots for breakfast on Friday.
  • Meeting new people, and destroying their livers.
  • Within 5 minutes of turning up, performing a Nerf Knockout on the 404 Glorious Leader. Minor concussion achieved!
  • Kensington. What a name!
  • Ketterings newest music sensation 'Shitters Go Home'. Fronted by guitarists 'ISIS' and 'Tunisilan'

THE BAD - 

• People using our BBQ and chairs without asking us. Lost one of my camping chairs to them.
  • No downstairs bar. Had a rather perilous journey holding the mentioned 25 shots while carrying them down to lakeside.
  • Abandoning the olympics rules. 9 shots ruins your ability to think/care about rules.
  • Being fisted good and proper in Mario Party. We're talking up to the elbow. This marks the first LAN where I have not won. My trophy now sits upon my mantlepiece reminding me of this dishonor.
  • Pouring a drink over Beth. Don't move next time!

THE UGLY - 

• Manning's Guitar Hero/Rock Band addiction. You have a disease man.
  • GIN.
  • The double toilet clog. Honestly worth a 10 on ratemypoo.com
  • The above mentioned member who could have won us the pub quiz being my girlfriend. I'll never hear the end of it.
  • Octos singing.

You can't blame alcohol on not winning the pub quiz, nor can you blame a single answer. We had more than enough we could've got right ourselves to avoid the tie breaker :P

• Like 1

Guest Pandora

I will blame who and what I like!

So... Klaus?

The Good:

• Seeing the 404 lot again in all of it's tremendous cringe worthy splendour.
  • Breakfast every morning along with the other food offered on site.
  • Some of the best nights sleep I've ever had at a LAN.
  • Mannings box of 'things'
  • LAN games & the 404 game of L4D2 first thing on Friday morning.
  • The staff, both KCC & Epic. You do a fantastic job don't change too much.

The Bad:

• People not having the courtesy to ask before utilising other peoples things?
  • The pub quiz.
  • Despite my best efforts, there are too many photos of me floating around...
  • The price of tea & coffee.
  • That was not orange juice Klaus... that was orange squash.

Ugly:

• My poor poor bank balance.
  • The salad I had on the way home, my stomach was not ready for a sudden detox.

The Beyond Good:

• The staff. Seriously, you guys deserve so many Kudos Points that a nonspecific European Country would end up in debt if they tried to buy them off you. Always happy to help and even just appear to check everything's ok about 10 times a day!

The Good:

• Venue as ever is great place for LAN.
  • The internet, nailed it. (Extra Kudos Points there Murray & Co!)
  • Food was nom. Prepaid breakfast was the right choice!
  • Pub quiz, I actually contributed more than 2 answers this time!
  • Letting Dukey put the Pinball up for all to enjoy!

The Bad:

• Letting the drink ruin my concentration in the pub quiz by the first break.
  • The jump in my ping when I tried to run StrangCam for our Stateside pal :(
  • The amount of drunk I didn't get from the Drink Olympics and post pub quiz
  • Downstairs bar not being open. Somehow I reckon that this caused the above.
  • Duration of LAN. Always too short!

Can't think of anything else to mention just now

Good:

• The staff. I cannot praise the staff enough at these events. Someone is always around to help and even with outside of LAN issues everything was just so efficient!
  • The catering staff. Again, super helpful guys and gals. Apart from one mad person who gave me chilli and nachos with the chilli on the bottom (What is that about you crazy fuck!?) They we were friendly and helpful with all my hot water requests. Oh and the bar staff too!
  • The internet! Stable lovely internet <3
  • NEW CHAIRS IN THE BOARD GAME ROOM. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • Werewolves. Great mods and some really great players with minimal drunkness.
  • Air con. Sweet, sweet air con.
  • When a drink was spilled during a game of Werewolves several people immediately went to clear it up and a member of off duty staff even came back with a mop. It was so nice to see people care LAN and not just leave it all skeezy.

Lovely:

• The pub quiz. Even though the questions were mostly beyond my small brained capabilities it was really enjoyable. I really came into my own on the T&C’s round… which is worrying. Playing consequences like little school children an drinking colour sugary shots. This was definitely my favourite bit of LAN.
  • Vs L4D2 with only 40 points in it. Mania ensued!
  • General atmosphere. Epic just has lovely people and everyone is happy and shit. It’s like everyone is high.

Bad:

• I appreciate there are less girls than guys so need more loos but at least 50% of the time someone would try to open the door whilst I was on the loo… and I’m a shy pee-er!
  • LAN feels short, I just needed one more day, especially for the summer event. Not really a “bad point as I oviously enjoyed it too much!
  • It not being obvious about the loyalty scheme. I dragged along 7 people and found out after! phooey. 

Ugly:

• The guys that showed up to play in the LoL tourney. Not Epic’s fault at all but I definitely wouldn’t want to be sat with them again. Constantly in our seat without offering to move, shaking desks, having a good look (and fiddle) with our stuff and one cheeky buggar even took a bottle of water! We’d have given him one if he had asked but jeez! 
Edited by Tardcommander

THE UGLY - 

• Paying for Camping and then not really seeing the benefit so to speak, i mean i saw the security guy lying on the ground one night but for the rest of the event saw nobody??? i think i paid £20 or something to pitch my tent. its a sizable sum, and didn't really see the point or the value in it sadly.

Easy to say that when nothing goes wrong. But would you rather swap to what happened to me and a few others last year? Walking out to trashed tents, or people throwing rocks and shit at your tent with you in it?

• TF2. 404's policy of 'Stack and Destroy' clearing the server within a few rounds. We apologise for nothing.

Didn't notice that! Us lot in Longstone wanted that so we could all be in the same team yet none of us realised!

Good:

Jackbox Party games on big screen - nice one Jobabob. Great fun :D

Winning the quiz! :D

Working internet and Steam cache <3

The Staff

Quiet sleeping rooms

GTA5 + UT4 MP games :D

Bad:

Didn't play any board games :(

Ugly:

Can't think of anything

Edited by _Jay_

THE GOOD -

• Great turnout for 404Games, we had 15+ members and friends turn up for a great social meetup.
  • The pre-pub quiz BBQ outside.
  • Coming second in the Pub Quiz
  • KCC breakfast each morning.
  • EpicStaff putting up with some of 404's more challenged members.
  • Fisting Progspawn in the 50 Turn Mario party, all your stars and coin belong to me.

THE BAD - 

• The bar not being open downstairs.
  • I didn't get a single game of gang beasts in all lan, then missed the fun tournament due to ordering takeout.
  • The lights in the community room, the white and blue where full on bright and very off putting when gaming.
  • Lack of rounds in the pub quiz, the longer it is the better it is.

THE UGLY - 

• Rock Band on so many levels at 5am in the morning was a bad idea.

I am back with my lists:

Good:

- Werewolves!

- The board games area.

- Most of the music.

- The 404 lot (thanks for letting me chill with you guys!)

- Made friends!

- Staff were really helpful.

- Indoor sleeping.

- Left loads of stuff unguarded most of the weekend and nothing was stolen! (I know I should keep an eye on stuff but I was drunk. Shhhh)

- Opening ceremony length was much more reasonable in comparison to 14.

- Having the big screen and announcer in the same room as me (13 and 14 I was in pendeen which made me feel a bit isolated from the event)

- it never got too hot, was a little chilly sometimes but nothing a jumper wouldn't fix.

- The 404 lot (they need including twice, that's how much fun they were)

- Anal Space Pirates 2.

Bad:

- Pub quiz length and a lot of the questions.

- Still no epic.LAN shirts for sale!

- I didn't have / wasn't interested in many of the big games.

- Guitar Hero 3 was missing.

- Sleeping room got mighty cold in the night.

- No downstairs bar.

- Our seats were changed from the middle of the room where we had wanted to be to the very front so we weren't in the heart of the action like we planned.

- Kinda sucked being downstairs when everything else was upstairs. Didn't get to see much that was going on, didn't see much of the stalls or anything that there was at 13 and 14.

Ugly:

- GIN.

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter