Dukey

epic.FIFTEEN - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Good:

- The 404 lot (thanks for letting me chill with you guys!)

- The 404 lot (they need including twice, that's how much fun they were)

Ugly:

- GIN.

• Like 1

• ... i think i paid £20 or something to pitch my tent. its a sizable sum, and didn't really see the point or the value in it sadly.

Now there is a mark of someone who has never been to another LAN I shall not mention that RAPES you for tenting and still things get stolen.

You are paying for the tenting space and area, it is actually quite cheap.

• Like 3

Now there is a mark of someone who has never been to another LAN I shall not mention that RAPES you for tenting and still things get stolen.

Quite the opposite actually. We both used to go to Wizzo's Wallet Rapey Fun Time. The problem I found, and I assume it's the same for Dukey from reading his post, is not the paying, but the fact that we never actually saw the security at their post other than the first day.

I have no problem paying if there are visible results. I am however pleased that it is pay per tent, rather than per person.

Edited by Progspawn

Quite the opposite actually. We both used to go to Wizzo's Wallet Rapey Fun Time. The problem I found, and I assume it's the same for Dukey from reading his post, is not the paying, but the fact that we never actually saw the security at their post other than the first day.

I have no problem paying if there are visible results.

Ahh I see what you mean, I would expect to see someone stationed there all the time. Or you may have just been on his break?

I cannot speak to this as I have no idea really how the tenting was handled.

On another note:

• It not being obvious about the loyalty scheme. I dragged along 7 people and found out after! phooey.

I know right Tard? I got you, Becci, Mish, Mario and Jodie to some and then you guys got DeeJay, Snowball and Anim to come.... I MEAN I SHOULD HAVE A FREE EVENT TICKET RIGHT? 

:P

• Like 1

I know right Tard? I got you, Becci, Mish, Mario and Jodie to some and then you guys got DeeJay, Snowball and Anim to come.... I MEAN I SHOULD HAVE A FREE EVENT TICKET RIGHT? 

Pfft! You didn’t get us to come, you just got us in your box! I’d already forced them :P Though Tbf if I am getting pedantic TECHNICALLY Pad got me to go as I first heard about it from him, but no-one wants to admit to liking Pad.

• Like 2

Feels strange to be late to this party but here's mine ...

The Good:

• The attendees - even the shandy drinking American :P

• The KCC Staff

• Big Breakfast Nom-Nom-Nom

• Danielle's cup cakes on Thursday afternoon. Thanks! :)

• The Pub Quiz - We filled Gunmens Hole and won!

• The internet / network which was superb.

• The shop / front of house shifts which I found enjoyable

• The games I managed to play, which wasn't many but it was still fun ... until Riot, Robert and Jobabob decided to join the opposite team to me in TF2 to make me RAGE! :D

• Longstone / Lanception. Cool in both temperature and social atmosphere.

• Werewolves in the early hours of Saturday morning. Although going to bed at 5am and being up at 9am wasn't a good idea!

• Jobabob's Jackbox.TV games on the Projector. That was a good laugh!

• DJ Fly Tipper. I'll have a pint of what he's having please!

The Bad:

• My PC deciding to die during Grid on Friday afternoon causing me to spend £70 on a PSU (which didn't fix it) and a round trip to Derbyshire to get my old one. The PC is totally dead :(

• Some people not clearing up their own mess (esp from takeaways) from the Gallery tables

• This might sound stupid but arriving at 10am on Thurs to find all the tables, power and network cables done. I am gutted I missed this - although I found out later the tables had been done on Weds anyway.

• A general lack of sleep but that is entirely my own fault.

The Ugly:

• Gunsmith didn't give us a full frontal nude this LAN so it can't be that ... 

The Absolute Awesome:

• Rab - for bringing Isabelle and letting me look after her on Saturday afternoon. The highlight of my LAN.

• Riot - for buying Longstone for #16. Thank you!

And I really am ...

7c9b03d033a74176fd88bd99864ab7d728a3e350

• Like 4

I have no problem paying if there are visible results. I am however pleased that it is pay per tent, rather than per person.

Ahh I see what you mean, I would expect to see someone stationed there all the time. Or you may have just been on his break?

I cannot speak to this as I have no idea really how the tenting was handled.

bomb planted and diffused before i even got chance to vent the rage, pah! prog's spot on though, i don't know if the pricing put people off camping or what not but yeah the campsite was considerably emptier than it was at 13, i loved the new position of the campsite away from the main entrance and out of sight, but i just thought i'd put the point forward because, i do feel slightly out of pocket for what was provided in return for my dollar. 

a little rethink is needed me thinks.  

When I paid for my ticket and was offered all the services it looked like camping was free... Have they changed it or am I just mad?

Hi, 

As we explained at the time of announcing the camping charge, the venue insisted that additional security was added in not only due to the external influence but also some of the activities going on with our own participants in the camping area (damage/mess etc). It was simply a case of having that extra security or the ability to camp being removed entirely from us and you. 

We shopped around a number of local security companies, and as people who have been involved with events will know, it's not cheap. All of the external companies also wanted a minimum of 2 of their staff on at all times (H&S lone working guidance etc), with one company actually providing a 5-figure quote for the weekend, not to mention wanting us to hire in things like portacabins & toilets for their personnel.  

So we asked the venue to look at extending through their existing security company as they already have staff on and avoids the loan working issue as they can buddy up. The additional security was provided and charged for and in fact cost epic more than we generated through the camping charges. 

I personally briefed the security team and said that I wanted one of them to be based on the camp site at all times and to rotate with the indoor security person for breaks etc. As I'm talking to the rest of the epic team, it seems apparent that as the weekend went on, that seemed to lapse with security moving to more of a patrol basis around the camping and whole venue than a static position, but I am still assured that was taking place at least every 30mins, still better than last year, but not ideal. 

So it's not quite what I asked the venue for, and I will be raising that with them for next time (likely to be Summer 2016 when we see similar camping demand), but there was more security on and no damage caused to property. It certainly provided me with some assurance that I had an SIA-badged security person at the other end of a radio to assist me and the team in case of any disturbances. 

As the event grows, additional security requirements are inevitable sadly and in some cases a licensing requirement based purely on the number of people attending. But where we are required to provide security specifically due to the camping area, I think it's only fair for those costs to be applied only to people using that service, rather than every participant picking up the costs through their tickets for something they aren't using. We tried to pick the fairest way of introducing that charge (per tent) and in doing so, made a loss ourselves, but ensured that you guys had a camping service available for this event that would have otherwise been removed by the venue. Guess it goes without saying that other organisations may not have taken the same approach! 

Thanks

Jon

When I paid for my ticket and was offered all the services it looked like camping was free... Have they changed it or am I just mad?

It is free for epic16 due to the significantly lower demand expected on the camping, but there was a charge for epic15 based on my huge essay above! 

• Like 9

Cracking LAN.

Only major criticisms were;

Camping Area - this was pretty cramped. I think we were squashing in for numbers that didn't turn up? Good to see the 404shantytown as always.

Beer - Three and a half notes for a pint? In Kettering? Come off it. Can we investigate getting slabs of fosters/whatever bought in to get some discount? As you may have observed, we 404 chaps like a tipple and me more than most of us, drinking 12+ pints a day rapidly becomes prohibitive!

Music - nice to have background music but i unplugged the speaker directly behind our row after about 25 minutes and i think we were all greatful. Either lower volume or more distance between speakers? We're gaming. Not raving.

Bar - Covered elsewhere but the casual players are more likely to be drinking heavier so locate them closer to the bar?

Pub Quiz - Can we have a drawing round next time? I'm shocked my 'cartoon' wasn't enough of a decider. Though if I'd been contributing answers rather than this ...... the world would be a less illustrated place.

Smaller events - Is the opportunity to host some of our community games in the lobby upstairs and on a projector a good opportunity to get more fun tournaments in?

Other than that, you're doing a shit hot job chaps. Keep it up or the Gin will come for you.

Smaller events - Is the opportunity to host some of our community games in the lobby upstairs and on a projector a good opportunity to get more fun tournaments in?

Other than that, you're doing a shit hot job chaps. Keep it up or the Gin will come for you.

FEAR THE GIN!

And yeah, we'd be really keen to get some more community game stuff going at LAN, it'd be nice to feel that we're actually helping boost the awesomeness of LAN instead of just enjoying it. There was some interest in some of the old school nintendo games we traditionally do, though I saw someone saying earlier that alcohol free versions would be appreciated, so that's something we can pull off pretty easy and a bigscreen would be perfect for.

We're forming some more ideas which we'd like to pitch in the near future ;)

FEAR THE GIN!

And yeah, we'd be really keen to get some more community game stuff going at LAN, it'd be nice to feel that we're actually helping boost the awesomeness of LAN instead of just enjoying it. There was some interest in some of the old school nintendo games we traditionally do, though I saw someone saying earlier that alcohol free versions would be appreciated, so that's something we can pull off pretty easy and a bigscreen would be perfect for.

We're forming some more ideas which we'd like to pitch in the near future ;)

Me and Neonrabbit don't mind the alcohol version, just not so much at 11am when most people are getting out of bed. i don't really want a pint first thing. 

Vyse who entered into the supersmashed is my brother and he hadn't eaten as he had only just woken up. i would have joined in with my partner and brother but clearly they have more of a stomach than i do :-P . maybe put games involving alcohol to more of a late afternoon thing. 

The Absolute Awesome:

• Rab - for bringing Isabelle and letting me look after her on Saturday afternoon. The highlight of my LAN.

Awwwwwww, she was such a cutie

• Like 1

About time I got my GBU done

Good

The weather, word is that it might have rained on Sunday morning, although I was camping I didn't hear or see anything  #earplugsftw

Longstone, and all the peeps inside.

All the old faces, and the new ones, Welcome.

Elsie's Grand LANDaughter, awe, wee cutie

404Gamers 50 Turn Mario Party - that just went on and on and on and Ariston...  (which of you old farts will get this reference?)

The grub, well done, excellent as usual

The rice - special mention - it wasn't dried out for a change and I had it with both the chicken curry and the Chilli

The 10 player game of Dungeons and Dragons, and the game lasted a mere 3 hours, Well done M0rt.

The pub quiz, we managed to fill a Gunmens shaped hole ;)

The internet and network in general

DJ Fly tipping and all the other DJ's who I cannot remember just now ;)

Jobabob and his Jackbox TV, do I really want to know how you unearth all this shit little gems

Bad

Bar price increases, I'm pretty sure it was £3.20 last LAN for a pint.

WIfi seemed patchy, I was trying to stream DJ Fly Tipping but there was obviously too much rubbish to shovel through the wireless (wifi has already been mentioned)

Not taking part in the boat race, sorry guys, I was asked but I was feeling bloated from the volume I had already consumated

Going home

Car broke 30 miles from home, had to get a nice man to take me the rest of the way :(

Butt Ugly

Me, get over it.

Left-One, just coz he mentioned me :P

Edited by dex
  • Like 3

Drinking games start early so that you're not too pissed to play them later. They're a means to an end!

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter