Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

dex

Steam Cache discussion

We also may have a steam cache, but having an FTP stocked with the install files (steam or similar) for each of the big games would be a great help. Especially for some of the huge nonsense like GTA5. There are enough guides out there on how to convert install files into a valid install without having to redownload everything.

To  be fair, the steam cache is more than just updates, it also full install files.  The issue you present with keeping steam install files on the FTP is that you need to keep them up to date as some games get updated quite regularly.  The great advantage of steam cache is that it only downloads the install files and updates it needs.  Whatever you do you're going to be limited by the 100Mb/s connection.  I have got to say, Angelu5 installed GTA V and played some serious hours on it during LAN so the steam cache is definitely doing it's job.

• Like 1

Could never get the thing to work downstairs though Dex. You'll need to update pre-LAN but only for the scheduled big-games, plus having 64.5GB of a game with a 500MB patch off the net is better than 0/65GB! Myself (and I'm sure others due to the cost), don't have the Steam versions of games like GTA5.

Weird, the cache worked fine for me @Jobabob.

I disagree with this suggestion, I think it'd stop people playing at least one of the two "big games", thought the community / social calendar went really well at epic15 so I think build on it rather than change it :)

Could never get the thing to work downstairs though Dex. You'll need to update pre-LAN but only for the scheduled big-games, plus having 64.5GB of a game with a 500MB patch off the net is better than 0/65GB! Myself (and I'm sure others due to the cost), don't have the Steam versions of games like GTA5.

Interesting that it didn't work for you. It definitely worked for most people with 2TB+ served up from it. Next time you're at the event and you see this happening, come and grab one of the technical team or me, and we'll take a look.

I did update before LAN, I had another 20 updates waiting for me when I got there.  I wish Valve would go back to releasing all their updates on the same day, preferably a Monday or Tuesday so we have time between LANs to get home, unpack our systems, update them and pack them down again before the next big LAN.

The steam cache did work for me.  On the Thursday night I did notice the speeds were slow so I talked to our local technical demigod, he clicked a few buttons and we instantly got much better download speeds.  What sort of problems were you having?

Guys, probably best to start a separate thread for Steam Cache, etc. Bringing this back to the original discussion of Andywhy's suggestion :D

Main problem I had was that it never got used even for obvious stuff like DOD:S, I assume there's nothing I need to set? I never tried after disabling IPv6 though ..

I pulled several games off the Steam Cache that I had not downloaded since clearing my games drive and needed in order to test the big game server I had set up. Natural Selection 2 and DOD:S for me and both came down at max speed. 

I seem to remember we had someone in FI that couldn't download off the cache, and that turned out to be something hijacking his DNS records.

Main problem I had was that it never got used even for obvious stuff like DOD:S, I assume there's nothing I need to set? I never tried after disabling IPv6 though ..

It works by intercepting your outbound DNS queries and replacing Valve's IP addresses with an internal address. If you're using vanilla DHCP (i.e. the default) and therefore using the LAN DNS servers, then you don't need to do anything.

If you have manually configured your networking stack then it's possible you're bypassing it. If you have gone in and set up some IPv6 then I presume you're in this category.

Next LAN just set everything to automatic and you should find it starts working. If not report it during the event so that we can find out why and improve it.

• Like 2

I pulled several games off the Steam Cache that I had not downloaded since clearing my games drive and needed in order to test the big game server I had set up. Natural Selection 2 and DOD:S for me and both came down at max speed. 

I seem to remember we had someone in FI that couldn't download off the cache, and that turned out to be something hijacking his DNS records.

This was the weirdest problem to diagnose. It looks like the malware/virus/whatever was doing the following:

• Intercept ALL DNS queries
  • Send DNS query to external server
  • If no result found, send the query to the DNS server specified on the connection (to handle corporate environments with internal DNS).

This meant that anywhere where we've overridden public DNS, it was returning the public records, not the overridden ones. There's two places we do this:

1. Steam Cache
  2. DNS check on the Intranet (displays a warning if you're not using our DNS servers)

As Astrolox has said, if you get this at epic.SIXTEEN, let us know and we can fix it there and then for you :D

No issues Steam cache wise for me downloaded rust in 2mins!

Good for future reference, cheers. I could understand my work laptop not getting the DNS to be redirected due to the way its setup, my home PC should be automatic.

Still, it would be good if we could put some big games up on the FTP server to help people install them, or come up with some solution for non-steam stuff. Games are just getting crazy big now and are only available online, if you don't have it installed then you dont have a chance of playing it at the LAN.

Origin and Blizzard can be cached reasonably easily.

I suspect other download options just aren't popular enough to warrant the effort - after all the advice is to install before LAN if at all possible.

Not so practical with drives getting faster and smaller and games getting more fidelity and less space optimisation

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• shahnikdar8977

East Coast run a very frequent service from London Kings Cross Station to York. The journey on express routes is under two hours and first class accommodation is available. Most trains are fully serviced with buffet facilities. Trains run at half hourly intervals on the hour and half-hour all day between 9.00am and 7.00pm.

From Birmingham
      Trains from Birmingham to York are operated by Virgin Cross Country Trains and run regularly from Birmingham New Street Station.

From Manchester
      Operated by TransPennine Express, frequent services to York are available from both Manchester Airport and the central Oxford Road station.

From Edinburgh/Glasgow
      Express services, operated by East Coast to London stop at York and are extremely frequent.East Coast run a very frequent service from London Kings Cross Station to York. The journey on express routes is under two hours and first class accommodation is available. Most trains are fully serviced with buffet facilities. Trains run at half hourly intervals on the hour and half-hour all day between 9.00am and 7.00pm.

From Birmingham
      Trains from Birmingham to York are operated by Virgin Cross Country Trains and run regularly from Birmingham New Street Station.

From Manchester
      Operated by TransPennine Express, frequent services to York are available from both Manchester Airport and the central Oxford Road station.

From Edinburgh/Glasgow
      Express services, operated by East Coast to London stop at York and are extremely frequent.East Coast run a very frequent service from London Kings Cross Station to York. The journey on express routes is under two hours and first class accommodation is available. Most trains are fully serviced with buffet facilities. Trains run at half hourly intervals on the hour and half-hour all day between 9.00am and 7.00pm.

From Birmingham

From Manchester

From Edinburgh/Glasgow

From Birmingham

From Manchester

From Edinburgh/Glasgow

From Birmingham

From Manchester

From Edinburgh/Glasgow
      Express services, operated by East Coast to London stop at York and are extremely frequent.
      · 0 replies
    • bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter