Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Dunceantix

Independence Day: Resurgence

Guest Zenith

As teasers go, that was a good one.

It might be the first film I go to see at an Imax.

I went to the cinema tonight and watched the original movie on a big screen for the first time in 20 years. I made sure I sat on my own as ID4 is one of those movies I know the script for and I (much to my families annoyance), say the lines at the same time as the characters. I really didn't enjoy it tonight though; it felt and looked old and jaded.  For the 90's they were brilliant effects but now they look bad - especially on a big screen, it makes it look worse. Added to this was the poor sound quality. ID4 was one of the first movies I bought with a DTS soundtrack and playing it through my home cinema system with speakers close by is awesome; you feel 'inside' the movie. That was kinda lost in the theatre. 

I will go and see the new one over the weekend but I can't say I'm looking forward to it!

Saw a double bill last night of ID4 and Resurgence. I've not watched ID4 for a few years, but for me it held up really well. Some of the technology looks dated, but the movie itself is still decently paced, and strikes a good balance of action and build-up. It was good to see some of the iconic scenes on the big screen, along with some details I'd never noticed before.

As for Resurgence? Not so impressive. The plot was all over the place and the characters annoying. Unless you're a scifi fan, you might find the plot a bit harder to follow than the first one's simple "Alien Invasion". It felt like the writers had a checklist of things they needed to include to pay tribute to the original.

Been to see it tonight.

In my opinion it is down there with the worst movies ever made. It makes alien invasion movies like Skyline, Battle LA and (the under rated) Battleship look like Sci Fi classics. It was far worse than anything Micheal Bay has done with Transformers or the appalling Pirates of the Caribbean films. I just wanted the whole thing to end and I really hope this is the end.  I won't watch this again, ever.

And seeing as I (almost) know the 1st movie word-for-word and being a huge fan of it, Emmerich & Co have truly f**ked this up.

None of us nerds are going to like this movie, it's just not designed for us.

Saying that, Elsie didn't like Gravity so there's no pleasing him (in his defence, I feel like the only person in the world who didnt get on well with The Martian)

The Martian was OK until he fixed the hab with duct tape and bin liners!

Gravity annoyed me as it tried to be an intelligent Sci Fi movie; it tried to make out it could happen when the fact is the orbits of Hubble, ISS and the Chinese station are nowhere near each other! Hubble is at the maximum range of the shuttle, yet when the accident happens it's a shot hop on a jet pack to ISS. Rubbish! That's what annoyed me!

I enjoyed the spectacle of Gravity but was totally put off by the obvious inaccuracies and the poor story line.  I wanted more and was hoping it would be more of a survival thing along the lines of The Martian (before I'd ever heard of it mind you)   The 'constant peril' was stupid and felt so predictable that I was actually expecting Sandra to be fighting off a shark attack in the final scene.  I'd have been rooting for the shark.

I felt the Martian struck a pretty good balance between realism and story given the tone of the film.  The book is (as always) better than the film. 

In my opinion the original Independence day was an average film at best.  It has some great quotes and fun action sequences but overall it's a complete cheese fest and so not really my cup of tea.  Mrs M0RT saw the sequel last night and rated it a 'B'  I'll be skipping it until I can watch it at home with a glass of bourbon.

Edited by M0RT

• Similar Content

• By Gumpster
      The Doctor Strange trailer has dropped on the interwebs.

Featuring the talented Benedict Cumberbatch, it looks like we are entering further into the mythology in the Marvel Universe, the endless possibilities and another risk for Marvel similar to Guardians of The Galaxy outside of their usual forte of super heroes etc.

Looks incredible.
    • By Dunceantix

I'm strangely looking forward to this
    • By Dunceantix
      Hmmmmmmm I've not been a huge fan of the film reboot, I'm more looking forward to the new TV Series!

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• shahnikdar8977

East Coast run a very frequent service from London Kings Cross Station to York. The journey on express routes is under two hours and first class accommodation is available. Most trains are fully serviced with buffet facilities. Trains run at half hourly intervals on the hour and half-hour all day between 9.00am and 7.00pm.

From Birmingham
      Trains from Birmingham to York are operated by Virgin Cross Country Trains and run regularly from Birmingham New Street Station.

From Manchester
      Operated by TransPennine Express, frequent services to York are available from both Manchester Airport and the central Oxford Road station.

From Edinburgh/Glasgow
      Express services, operated by East Coast to London stop at York and are extremely frequent.East Coast run a very frequent service from London Kings Cross Station to York. The journey on express routes is under two hours and first class accommodation is available. Most trains are fully serviced with buffet facilities. Trains run at half hourly intervals on the hour and half-hour all day between 9.00am and 7.00pm.

From Birmingham
      Trains from Birmingham to York are operated by Virgin Cross Country Trains and run regularly from Birmingham New Street Station.

From Manchester
      Operated by TransPennine Express, frequent services to York are available from both Manchester Airport and the central Oxford Road station.

From Edinburgh/Glasgow
      Express services, operated by East Coast to London stop at York and are extremely frequent.East Coast run a very frequent service from London Kings Cross Station to York. The journey on express routes is under two hours and first class accommodation is available. Most trains are fully serviced with buffet facilities. Trains run at half hourly intervals on the hour and half-hour all day between 9.00am and 7.00pm.

From Birmingham

From Manchester

From Edinburgh/Glasgow

From Birmingham

From Manchester

From Edinburgh/Glasgow

From Birmingham

From Manchester

From Edinburgh/Glasgow
      Express services, operated by East Coast to London stop at York and are extremely frequent.
      · 0 replies
    • bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter