Dukey

Epic17 - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Hey guys! Let's do this from a different point of view! 

Good

Seeing everyone who I hardly get to see! This makes the LAN for me! Like I was saying to some people at epic, going to LANs has been a massive part of my life. 14 years worth! @Winbar you have been a massive influence on my life and i love epic.lan!

Getting to Cast a game of rocket league! This is the 2nd reason I came to LAN. I love casting rocket league and a great time doing it! @Dukey how dare you forget my thanks! The 404 lot played great and I loved casting you guys! Shame I didn't get to see @Ale blow everyone up again!! Let's hope we get another online tournament .... @JoeShow?

The event seemed great, no hiccups from what I heard! A lot of people seemed tired but that is LAN for you ;) 

A massive congrats on the sell out and having 27 CSGO teams! Wow it is mind boggling how many you got! Sounds like all and all the tournaments went well and people will be back next year.

Bad

Not casting my first game until 3ish mainly cause a certain team was busy getting pissed ... I think. Would have liked to cast more then one game but I am appreciative that I was able to cast one! Back of the net!!

The drive back from LAN, I really hate leaving LAN but the drive back on Saturday was tiring

Ugly

the toilets on Saturday!

my main gripe was me coming all that way to cast and I didn't get much of it! I am glad it's being reviewed in the future! It needs to be! I want to hopefully attend the next one and I'll bloody well make sure the Rocket League tournament runs well! Even if I have to stop the Csgo tourney! 

I really appreciate @JoeShow apologising and talking to me and letting me cast in the first place! Was an honour! 

• Like 6

Good
Team Awesome, as always. You guys always make my LAN <3
Rocket League! 
FINALLY playing BSG. 3 in a weekend! CYLON CENTRION VICTORY MOTHERFUCKER
Lip Sync battle. Upon reflection is wasn't quite as terrifying as I thought! (still a litttle bit though)
Catering improvements. Especially chilli at the bar
SEKRIT SMIRNOFF ICE'S
RHS and LHS equal scores at the pub quiz! 

Also doing fairly well in the quiz!
Board game competition! 
Old man Stoneman telling off the youngun's for making too much noise

Epic staff. As usual everyone I spoke to before, during and after were really friendly and helpful. 

Bad
Not playing any Werewolves! Too many fun things happening!
Pinball and Rock band next to sleeping area. 

The yobbos. There sometimes seemed to be a weird vibe this LAN. Lots of shouting and running and general yobish behaviour. Might just be because I am old and grumpy now.
Seating. I know it couldn't be helped but the movement meant I really couldn't hear anything this LAN. Was on coms the whole time and it just really dimmed the experience for a deafy like me. I suppose I should be happy because I then mostly played boardgames which won me a prize!

Ugly

EVERYTHING I ATE

EVERYTHING I DIDN'T GET TO EAT. (Fucking prawns. You're ugly and no-one likes you)
Loos. Ladies, if you have a period I really don't need to know about it!! Filth.

The not-really-but-nearly fight that broke out at the pub quiz. We're at LAN mate, chill out. I was also a little surprised to see no staff intervention, not sure if they saw it or not.

Edited by Tardcommander

4 hours ago, Tardcommander said:

The yobbos. There sometimes seemed to be a weird vibe this LAN. Lots of shouting and running and general yobish behaviour. Might just be because I am old and grumpy now.

The not-really-but-nearly fight that broke out at the pub quiz. We're at LAN mate, chill out. I was also a little surprised to see no staff intervention, not sure if they saw it or not.

I didn't see any yobish behavior but (being the grumpy old man that I am when not at LAN), I would have asked people to calm down and be more respectful if I did. I've done it before and I will do it again but this is hard to deal with after the event. If you think something is getting out of hand then I would raise it with a member of staff. 

As for the pub quiz, I didn't see / hear anything but I was concentrating on 1) the quiz and 2) getting drunk (for the 1st time in years). I'm sorry that this happened and it spoiled your enjoyment. If a member of the team did see anything untoward I am sure they would have said something. 

Here's to your next Lip Sync battle at #18! :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tardcommander said:

This was spotted. The respective team managers were calming this down and the staff were all watching closely.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gunmens said:

This was spotted. The respective team managers were calming this down and the staff were all watching closely.

Can confirm. This.

• Like 2

Can also confirm. ops manager, content manager and security were all there within minutes of even a hint of shit kicking off 

Oh my bad, I didn't see anyone! I did assume that you guys hadn't seen it because I would have thought you'd of intervened, but obvs I am blind as well as deaf!! It didn't ruin my LAN by any means, it was more that I was surprised as LAN is usually a utopia of joy. lol. As for yobbish stuff it's nothing I would have said to staff, no-one did anything wrong really. It was just like 4am and some people were running around shouting and such, again I was just surprised to see it. I do blame it more on me being old and grumpy than them though! 

Lip sync battle 18 can do one! Watching it back it's not even the lip syncing I regret, it's the amount of times I said I pooped myself... lol!

17 hours ago, Tardcommander said:

Pinball and Rock band next to sleeping area. 

This!  It's usually @jobabob yelling about his ex being on fire that keeps me awake at LAN  though this time it was a bunch of randoms.  Can we have Rockband somewhere else? It also needs more songs methinks.

• Like 2

I can understand why Rockband outside one of the sleeping halls would be frustrating. Maybe it could be moved to Fairisle with the other console gear as it's noisier down there anyway?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elsie said:

I can understand why Rockband outside one of the sleeping halls would be frustrating. Maybe it could be moved to Fairisle with the other console gear as it's noisier down there anyway?

Like 1/2 way between the bar and tournament admin.  That should move it all of about, oh I don't know, 20 feet ;)

Oddly, I was sleeping in the hall nearest rockband and it didn't bother me at all.  #earplugsFTW

On behalf of my group

Good

• - Epic Staff, once again a great event. Admins, the guys on the shop, the casters and all the staff in the back ground.
  • - The flexible fun tournaments and semi fun tournaments, (though smash bros should have been on the timetable). I like to enter more than one tournament and it seems im not the only one, and everyone i had a game against was happy to wait or i was happy to wait for them if they were in one.
  • - Managing to return to our usual seats and buy out the back row in Lakeside (404) 8-)
  • - Meeting new people
  • - Playing Werewolves for the 1st time, a big thanks to Astrolox for running them and welcoming me and afew other noobs from my group (i suck at it)
  • - Food quality was better my only gripes are set the breakfast would it be possible to have something like a 5 item breakfast so you can choose what you want? for example im not a fan off tomatoes and egg but all the breakfasts have them in.
  • Special effect charity the guys are legends for what they do and their work is fantastic

Bad

• Serving was a little slow on food.
  • Some tournaments missing off of the timetable (smash bros)
  • Not really bad but a suggestion more prizes for runner ups or top 3?

Ugly

• Yeah the piss falling from the sky i guess but cant really do anything to prevent that really just who ever blocked it go more regular :P

Suggestions:

In the tournament match ups would it be possible to put name then seat number? just easier to find who you are playing next. Maybe a HoTs tournament ;p

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Killersheep said:

• - Food quality was better my only gripes are set the breakfast would it be possible to have something like a 5 item breakfast so you can choose what you want? for example im not a fan off tomatoes and egg but all the breakfasts have them in.

Just ask to swap stuff out, the staff are really friendly and will usually do whatever. I swapped out my bacon and hash browns each morning with no fuss at all.

The speed of the KCC staff is something to be desired... a massive queue for a long time with 1 poor lad who came across as a new starter stuttering his way through people while two people (clearly one was a supervisor or above) seeing the queue continues to get napkins out and plates ... cmon love we have enough of that, serve us people dammit i want my dry bacon, un-cut sausage on a stale cob for a price that makes me shudder.

*edit a word & #FDB back row ;);) 

Edited by skiddybear

15 hours ago, JoeShow said:

Can confirm. This.

As one of those team people, I agree with what was said. Was just people being a little too silly on both sides and perhaps a little too much drink for some people. Unfortunately one person decided to take things to the next level by making it physical, but thankfully everybody else brought it back down afterwards.

Edited by Klaus

32 minutes ago, Killersheep said:

- Managing to return to our usual seats and buy out the back row in Lakeside (404) 8-)

Until next time!

Guest Nailzy

Can clarify the situation regarding the altercation at the Pub Quiz - it just all escalated very quickly which isn't the best when people are intoxicated.

I was at the center of it being the 6ft 3" huge guy that ended up covered in drinks along with my partner (I wasn't drinking as T total since October)... but sequence of events:

• Glow stick table wars getting a little bit over the top so people getting ratty (this is when I actually sat down - hadn't been at the pub quiz prior)
  • Table next to us had Windex bottle that they had put glowsticks into - one of our chaps asked for the bottle and was handed it - and got the glowsticks out of it to carry on with the glowstick wars - spilling out most of the "windex" in the process
  • Chap from said table comes over, has a rant (which I didn't hear) and knocks a stack of drinks all over me and my partner.
  • My community members swiftly get up to defend me and my partner and get to the bottom of what happened and what caused one individual to disrupt a table of 10+ people - turns out the windex bottle contained vinegar and Gin (they called it Gindex...) which had been smuggled into the event which is why the guy lost his temper and flipped the drinks over on our table.
  • Thus ensues the 2 groups of drunken strangers shouting / defending with a potential physical situation - which the sober members of our community were easily able to handle - and I thank the security and staff of the event for not getting involved. They were there on the sidelines and we'd already briefed them on what happened and that we were able to deal.

It ended up in the chap apologizing to me and my partner, and I apologized on behalf of the team for the misunderstanding of being handed the windex bottle not knowing that there was alcohol in it (even though that shouldn't have been there anyway)

I apologize to anyone that felt threatened or intimidated by either party during what happened - but it was all sorted out within about 10/15 minutes once we'd managed to deescalate. The last thing any of us want is people getting ejected from the event because of silly altercations like this, and unfortunately they do happen from time to time. Smelling like a walking chip plastered in vinegar for the rest of my Friday night wasn't so fun!

Aside from that.... absolutely amazing event and good to see everybody, the epicLAN staff were amazing - I hope my offerings of donuts throughout the event kept everyone happy :D

On 26/02/2016 at 00:46, domuk said:
On 01/03/2016 at 23:11, Nailzy said:

My community members swiftly get up to defend me and my partner and get to the bottom of what happened

I'm aware one of our chumps knocked over a drink on your table, I know it's idiotic and shouldn't have been done, but ultimately one of your chaps then followed him back to our table, and started grabbing and shoving him whilst shouting and swearing. I could understand him being annoyed, however considering all someone had done was knock over a drink, his actions were not "defending yourself" as you put it, it's escalating it to another level, a criminal one. As aforementioned, I think there was a bit of drunken tomfoolery on both parts, but whoever that guy was he should be ashamed as that behaviour (namely following someone and attacking them) is totally unacceptable and it was his actions that brought things to the point they were at.

TL;DR - Both parties guilty. Apologies all round, let's not do it again!

Edited by Klaus
  • Like 2

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter