Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

AcheaShadow

Cooling solution for i5 2500k?

Hey guys,

Looking into a cheap, temporary solution for cooling an i5 2500k, I will be looking to overclock the processor and wondering if this product will fit my needs temporarily?

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Fans+%26+Cooling/Air/Cooler+Master+Hyper+TX3+Evo+%22High+Performance%2C+3+Direct+Contact+Heat+Pipes%2C+Universal+CPU+Cooler%22+Black+Fan+?productId=47249

Basically I got a motherboard and processor from Dukey at LAN, I know it isn't the best in the world but it's a damn sight better than the FM2 AMD (A8-5600k) that I currently have.  

I'm also looking for RAM recommendations, I currently have 4x4gb Samsung DDR3 1333mhz but I don't mind dropping the 16gb for 8gb of something really decent, I think the MB can do 1600 max.

Any advice is welcome :) Budget wise I think I can go to around £40 for the RAM and £20ish for the cooler.  Let me know if I'm living a pipe dream :)

Have you done any research into the actual overclocking of the chip?

When I bought my 2500k I found reports of reasonably overclocked chips running sufficiently cool of the stock fan. When it was new it was very highly priased for being able to handle the overclocking so well. If it is a temporary solution, with some research and a bit of care you might not have to splash out just yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

Have you done any research into the actual overclocking of the chip?

When I bought my 2500k I found reports of reasonably overclocked chips running sufficiently cool of the stock fan. When it was new it was very highly priased for being able to handle the overclocking so well. If it is a temporary solution, with some research and a bit of care you might not have to splash out just yet.

I don't have the stock cooler sadly

6 minutes ago, Beej said:

Holy crap there is a Freezer 13 now!

I might have to upgrade :P

Freezer 13 and Freezer 7 have been around for the same amount of time in various revisions.

I have to use a Freezer 7 with my i7-4970k due to physical size constraints in my tiny LAN box, no complaints of thermal temps from it either.

Dat 200W thermal dissipation doe!

• Like 1

How easy is it to apply thermal paste? Never done it before, haven't actually built a machine since 2000 so finding things a bit overwhelming now lol

While this is true, the application of this factory paste is truly terribad.

I have a method lifted from a long time nerd friend which in almost every circumstance reduces temps over stock application/paste by 3-5c.

At the end of the day how much performance and fuss do you want? Everything is a compromise.

All been said stock factory installed paste will work FINE for stock clocks and beyond, just maybe not as well as it could :)

• Like 1

That cooler will last you two years and beyond. I have an old freezer 13 now that's like 5-6 years old.

They don't degrade so long as you keep cleaning the fins out when they get dusty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harisma said:

That cooler will last you two years and beyond. I have an old freezer 13 now that's like 5-6 years old.

They don't degrade so long as you keep cleaning the fins out when they get dusty.

I'll give you a shout later on Skype mate

No matter what cooling you're going to use, it's always worth opening your case and blasting the crap out of it with a compressed air can. The amount dust that can build up in a case is shocking. I wait for a nice day in the spring/summer and take my PC's and servers onto the drive and put them on a wall. Then I use a couple of cans of air, blasting the fans, motherboard and drive bays. 

• Like 3

Someone's offered me 8gb (2x 4gb) or DDR3 1600 GSkill Ripjaw X ram for £30 including delivery, is it worth it? I found it on Kustom for £34.80 + Delivery so I'd only be saving about £10 but I'd have some warranty on that. I read some reviews on Amazon and a few people have had issues with a stick failing and having to pay £15 for a repair.

I think I've already answered my question, but what would you do? 

Also someone else has offered me Corsair 2x 4GB DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 for £25 including delivery, worth it?

RAM is RAM is RAM for the most part. If you have direct links to the exact sticks you are been offered then I'll take a look for any specific differences in timing (if any) and throw you my two cents in.

All goes down to usages and overclocking potential really. Is this to go to in that motherboard you bought of @Dukey? If so what motherboard is that exactly?

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter