Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Elsie

Deleting Accounts After Death

I know I should have don't this a long time ago but I have only just plucked up the courage to turn on my Dad's PC. It's been hard work. Every document I look at I can hear his voice. Every email, all the pictures, it brings it all back.

Managed to get his Facebook profile into a memorialised state (I would rather it be deleted and am working on that) but things like email are really hard to shut down. I have been arguing with someone in India for over an hour about getting his BT Internet email account stopped but they can't grasp that I don't live at my Dads address. Why would I FFS?! Why is my phone number, email and postcode not the same as the account you are asking to be deleted? Because I am his son and he passed away you .... arrrrgghh!

I know they have to get it right or anyone could go around deleting anyone else's services bit I can send a copy of the death certificate but only if I get past this first hurdle with Indian customer service's. 

This week, I am going to create a list of all the services, websites and accounts I use and create a list for SWMBO Inc passwords. When I'm gone she can logon to then as me and close / delete / destroy as she sees fit. I don't want her struggling with IT complexity after I've gone.

Sorry. Rant over.

• Like 2

When I worked at Saga Insurance we had a special team who would deal with customer deaths etc. We tried to make it easier on the families/spouses of customers who had died, but even we effed it up sometimes. 

Surprised that BT don't have something similar, based in the UK, to deal with this - given how they like to market themselves as a family service. But good idea on the list thing!

These sorts of things are a nightmare, my mum and dad are going through similar issues trying to get power of attorney and other such things for my Grandad and Granny one of which is no longer able to think for themselves and the other is no longer able to manage their finances due to being in care. I can understand sinister things go on here like bad people trying to nab their unwell ageing relatives money but the majority of people just want to be able to look after their ageing relatives and do right by them and see that they are getting the care they need and paying for said care. The documents and things you need to gather together and such is just ridiculous. 

It has already made my mum think about "what if this happens to me" and get all her financial stuff in order so that I don't have to go through what they're going through. 

While this is a crucial thing to get right for all the reasons outlined above. You have to also consider the implication of having ALL login details and information stored in one place for ease of access for your spouse/partner/parents/children etc. If that single point of failure is ever compromised it could make it a lot harder. I personally are currently engaging in gathering all of this information together myself in case something was to happen to me an will be placing it all in a bank security box which will be accessible by next of kin only. This at least offers me that little bit of security that my data is about as safe as can be even while I'm alive yet easy for only the right people to get to should I go.

It is incredibly frustrating, sucks that it's such a struggle when it's already a pretty shitty thing you have to do!

For this reason I have what you have said, a list of passwords/pins etc. I was even talking the other day about having a pre-need for my funeral. Seems extreme but anyone can die at any time and I just like the idea of everything being as easy as possible on my loved ones, lord knows there's enough to deal with without having to argue with some random man in India about your BT line! Often you can actually have another person down on your account for these sorts of things who is someone that they will speak to about your account. I do it for my Dad because he's old and never understands what is happening! Good luck with it all!!!

From a 25 year old male from Essex. I have a mutual agreement with my best friend. 

Whoever goes first - The other has a duty to format the others PC as a matter of urgency.

• Like 8

Just now, JoeShow said:

From a 25 year old male from Essex. I have a mutual agreement with my best friend. 

Whoever goes first - The other has a duty to format the others PC as a matter of urgency.

Haha. NO way am I doing this. I want all my friends and relatives to be frightened by me after I am gone! Muhahahaa

23 minutes ago, JoeShow said:

No word of a lie here;

I know a guy in the states. Who has all of his hard drives in a line (10+ ish) with a Glock 17 lined up above them all muzzle pointing down. If he sends a command to the RiPi controlling an actuator for the Glock it empties the entire clip through them all.

EDIT: DBAN is to slow for him apparently.

Edited by harisma
  • Like 1

Hope its not one of these storage arrays (note that this is just a rebadged HDS array /shamelessplug)

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter