Sign in to follow this  
Gumpster

Black Sails Season 3 (Spoilers)

So I've just sat down & watched Season 3 Finale of Black Sails, for those of who might not be watching this show, I beg of you.... go watch it.

The season has been an utter brilliant ride, and we finally get one of the biggest pay offs the show could ever reimagine, which is the story of Long John Silver, the Black Spot, and the Flint/LJS "friendship".

I watched Black Sails a couple of years ago because I had only just got Amazon Prime, I had seen a trailer for the show, and I thought "fuck it... why not", Season 1, was incredible, but was filled with a lot of sex and nudity (both of which I don't mind), it was Pirates being Pirates, then in the latter stages we saw some complex storyline tropes being introduced into a few of the characters and episodes, the finale was of course brilliant. Season 2 ramped that story up further, Flint finally got a backstory of why he was doing what he was doing, and what he had originally intended to do (also Rupert Penry Jones made an appearance... massive love for the guy especially as he portrayed Adam Carter in Spooks). It didn't do much for LJS in Season 2, but we finally saw a variety of characters get really good storylines (Vain in particular too).

However Season 3 has been on another level, there was a small lul period in the middle where the Slave Island was introduced but my GOD, Blackbeard (more importantly the way they introduced him in the opener of S3), Vain (and his demise), Flint going huge, LJS and finally him becoming what we know from historical purposes, and the introduction of Governor Rodgers. The finale, showed small intimate scenes between just Flint & LJS (the campfire scene in the night in the middle of the woods), the sheer moment of joy Blackbeard had decided to show up. The moment that Anne boarded the English ship and went huge, just to signal the ship to fire on the lead English ship. The writing, the pay off, and the amount of action in the finale was worth a million dollars itself.

If you haven't watched this show, I absolutely recommend it, you may think Michael Bay is all about explosions, but this TV Show has blown most of my other favourites out of the water.

• Like 1