Sign in to follow this  
Gumpster

Star Trek: Beyond

So after the first trailer kind of got a slating in terms of many ST fans thinking it was a "blatant chance of milking cash from the franchise" and "lacking substance", we get this absolutely brilliant and more exciting second trailer, which I love already.

Star Trek to me is my second favourite Sci-Fi franchise (ahead of Star Wars and behind Stargate), so I am really really intrigued by some of the interesting nods to the existing ST franchise with the NX uniforms/ship designs coming into play in this trailer.

Really really looking forward to this, and I know many people slated the 2009 reboot and the 2012 (Into Darkness) but I enjoyed both offerings from JJ originally as they offered something new and old at the same time.

• Like 1

It's Star Trek! The Enterprise and crew are back! After the god awful remake that was Star Wars : The Force Makes More Money By Peddling The Same F**king Story, we get back to real Sci Fi!

Or do we, as this trailer (or the previous one) doesn't do anything for me at all. In fact, I'm quite meh about the whole thing. Why? This is Start Trek, created by Gene Roddenberry and nurtured along the way with some pretty good story lines and characters. In the same way I wouldn't pick up a copy of Playboy if the centrefold was advertised as "German Chancellor -Angela Merkel", seeing "From the director of The Fast & Furious - Justin Lin" in a Star Trek trailer? Seriously? Couldn't they find anyone with a better pedigree than someone that makes movies for the cast of Jeremy Kyle? 

But Elsie, Simon Pegg has helped write it? Ah, loved Shaun of the Dead, kinda liked Hot Fuzz, Worlds End? Joke had worn off. I've not seen anything else of his that I thought "Wow!" and he's got the gig as a fanboy. Well, fair play to him for that I have a horrible feeling there will be too many sly one liners, little 'jokes'. 

I'm gonna watch it, I have to. I live my life by some Star Trek principles FFS. My son is studying politics at University and in one of his exams used "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one". He's not a Trek fan but he knows I am and he's taken that from my love of the franchise. I just worry that this is gonna be a jokey, "lets chuck loads of effects at the screen and hope no one realises it's crap" film.

Live Long & Prosper!

All fears realised. Lin has an attitude of:

'If I throw enough shit at the screen and make the actors shout incomprehensible dialogue, they won't notice how bad this thing is!"

Well, I did notice and it's an absolute arse end of a movie. It's riddled with plot holes you could drop an aircraft carrier into. Continuity? FFS, abandon ship wearing yellow star fleet uniforms in coffin sized pods and get out wearing blue trousers and jackets. Did I fall asleep and miss something? 

Then there are the action (BORING!) sequences that are so far fetched that it renders them laughably bad. The York town Base had me seething with anger. WTF would they build something so ridiculous in the middle of space? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

And that is this film. It doesn't make sense. It may have Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise but it not a Star Trek film. Lin has taken a huge, stinky dump on Gene Roddenbury's ideals and, if you haven't guessed by now, I hate it.

So you didn't like it then? :)

I've not really been a fan of the movies with it's let use time travel to half sort of reboot everything, even though it's a reboot anyway, stuff. They just don't appear to me in the same way the original movies did and the TV series does. 

On 23/07/2016 at 02:49, Elsie said:

All fears realised. Lin has an attitude of:

'If I throw enough shit at the screen and make the actors shout incomprehensible dialogue, they won't notice how bad this thing is!"

Well, I did notice and it's an absolute arse end of a movie. It's riddled with plot holes you could drop an aircraft carrier into. Continuity? FFS, abandon ship wearing yellow star fleet uniforms in coffin sized pods and get out wearing blue trousers and jackets. Did I fall asleep and miss something? 

Then there are the action (BORING!) sequences that are so far fetched that it renders them laughably bad. The York town Base had me seething with anger. WTF would they build something so ridiculous in the middle of space? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

And that is this film. It doesn't make sense. It may have Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise but it not a Star Trek film. Lin has taken a huge, stinky dump on Gene Roddenbury's ideals and, if you haven't guessed by now, I hate it.

I am going to strongly disagree with you.

I went to see the film tonight, and I actually came out feeling satisfied, and feeling there should be more. Despite the underlining tone of being "dark and gritty" like the majority of films these days, it had a very positive outlook, it had some stunning visuals and some beautiful character moments.

I loved the 2009 Trek outing, and whilst at first I enjoyed STID, I came away feeling like others which was "underwhelmed" by the core tones of the film (that resonated with current trends) and how it was pale in terms of it's colour and it's predictable villain (which they tried so hard to deny it was Khan).

Beyond was better. For the first twenty minutes it was run of the mill "pure" Star Trek, missions, the captains log, and the struggle of being on a five year mission.

I absolutely LOVED the Yorktown Base... that was actually incredible, and what was severely lacking in other films, not sure why you were seething with anger old man, but that is what Gene certainly envisioned when he thought up Star Trek and it's "ideals". A peaceful base of operations where all races, colours, creeds and peoples of the Universe could come together, live in harmony and make a home of something. It was well realised in this film and incredibly made on screen through some beautiful CGI. If we, the human race can build something like that in 24th Century, then I would be proud to see that. I should point out that this film actually explored the fact that Soldiers struggle to cope with peacetime, and how they can adapt after being effectively discharged from the Military. Krall was the realisation of this topic, not to mention that Kirk struggled with his own personal demons of how to become himself and not emulate his late father, and how he manages to keep the crew together. It had an array of topics that Gene certainly would have loved, and doesn't "shit on his ideals" like you put it.

The lure, the premise and the action scene of ripping apart the Enterprise was incredible too, I actually found myself tearing up when the Nacelles were just torn away. The struggles that each of the main characters faced was good to see, and of course the Spock/Bones friendship got it's due screentime it needed.

There were some well thought out touches and nods to various Star Trek shows, from Enterprise (the War between the Xindi & Federation), to Voyager (Paris), to ST TNG (Generations when the Saucer section crash landed). Not to mention the lovely fitting tribute to Leonard Nimoy, who would have been proud at how that was all handled, I also loved the nice crew photograph they chucked in of the original crew from the Movies, that was a very nice touch. Also a smaller post production touch was thrown in too, with regards to Anton Yelchin dying suddenly, where Kirk says "To absent friends" and the camera cuts to Chekov, a very well handled touch after his sudden death in the ST family.

This is probably the best film out of the NuTrek we've seen, and despite some minor flaws (one you mentioned, although that could be probably explained with a change of clothes in said pods). It certainly was a Star Trek film, it was done well, and despite Idris Elba needing a bit more of a fully fleshed out villain, it certainly worked for me.

I'll leave this here from the Subreddit Topic, that someone posted their comment in there;

These are all the canon references I caught.

• The stardate given is 2263.02. The reboot films use a straightforward "stardate equals Earth year" system, indicating that it is the year 2263, still two years before TOS. Later, a log entry by Edison begins "stardate 21xx", implying that this was the first stardate system used by the Federation (the Prime Timeline evidently switches to its TOS system sometime after the divergence).
  • When beaming up from the initial diplomatic mission, Kirk quips "I tore my shirt again." This is obviously an in-joke to TOS, where it seemed that Kirk was constantly getting in fights where he tore his tunic.
  • The starbase is named Yorktown. This is the name of at least two PT Federation vessels occasionally mentioned at various points in the franchise.
  • When arriving at the starbase, an announcement is overheard regarding the "Stargazer, NCC-2893." This was, in the PT anyway, a Constellation-class vessel and Jean-Luc Picard's first command (about seventy years after this film). It seems unlikely that the Stargazer would be that old, but the KT Enterprise was built after the PT version and it still had the same serial number.
  • I don't recall the context, but the planet Thasus is mentioned. Thasus was the planet Charlie Evans crashed on in "Charlie X."
  • Sulu is shown to have a young daughter. This is probably a reference to Demora Sulu, a character introduced in Generations, although the ages would seem to be a bit off.
  • I believe this is the first canon demonstration that the original 1701 (at least this timeline's version) can separate its saucer section.
  • Scotty mentions one of the rumored fates of the Franklin was that it encountered a "giant green space hand." This is a reference to the hand of Apollo which grabs the Enterprise in "Who Mourns for Adonais?" The hand can be briefly seen toward the end of the main end credits sequence.
  • I was not able to read the Franklin's dedication plaque which presumably would clear up the whole "how old is the Franklin" debate. Scotty said it disappeared in the early 2160s which would be after the founding of the Federation. Since it has a serial number higher than Enterprise NX-01, it stands to reason it was built after Archer's ship, despite claims that it was "the first Warp 4 ship" (NX-01 was Warp 5). If you ignore the serial number, you could conclude that it was an older ship which was given to Edison after a number of years of service.
  • They obviously put great effort into getting the canon on the Franklin right. The engine room is a dead ringer, the uniforms match, references to "phased cannons" and "hull plating" are heard, and I suspect that the medical equipment Bones dumps out would pass scrutiny when compared to Phlox's tools.
  • Edison is mentioned to be a former MACO. The Military Assault Command Operations was, of course, the fighting force seen repeatedly in ENT.
  • Krall mentions fighting in both the Xindi and Romulan Wars. The Xindi conflict was the focus of ENT season 3, while the Romulan War has been often-mentioned but never depicted in canon. From what we know (and borrowing from sub-canon), the Romulan War was a conflict fought in the late 2150s (after ENT) and the allies of that conflict went on to form the Federation of Planets.
  • The song played during the final attack sequence is, of course, "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys, which a young Kirk was listening to as he drove his stepfather's car off a conveniently-placed Iowa cliff. In this film Bones describes the song as "classical music." The song played by Jayla is "Fight the Power" by Public Enemy, featured on their 1990 album Fear of a Black Planet.
  • For anyone wondering, most of the primary pieces in this story are new elements not seen before in canon: the two warring species, the starbase and its nearby nebula, Jayla, the Argonath, the Franklin and Captain Edison, etc.
  • Unless I missed something, this is the first Star Trek film not to reference Klingons in any way. All the other films either featured at least one Klingon or portrayed them in a simulation.

I describe myself as a "fundamentalist Trekkie apologist." I care very much that Trek takes itself seriously, and when it contradicts itself I am quick to jump on it. Despite being a new timeline, this film series is still bound by canon in a number of ways and, possibly to my detriment, I judge them at least partly on how well they honor and respect continuity.

I do not find any breach of canon in this film. The same is generally true of the previous films and I will fight anyone who thinks Abrams and co. are "shitting all over Star Trek" in this way. They are very very respectful of Trek. Case in point: they needed an old ship. They could have made the ship look like anything. But they took the effort to design it as an NX-class, used the right uniforms, the right sets, the right props. We're not even talking about honoring TOS, we're talking about ENT which is a relatively obscure spinoff not widely recognized by general audiences. But they went to the trouble to get it right, and they got it right. I enjoyed the film on a number of levels but this is always something I pay attention to and I have no quarrel with it

I'm not sure if you LAN Dad just missed some of the more subtle moments or thought the plot didn't overly make sense so decided to base the film purely on that, but I certainly felt Simon Pegg and crew did a wonderful job here of making this version of Star Trek, feel like Star Trek.