Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

JoeShow

New PC Build - Advice Required!

Hey all,

Looking for some advice on a new build I've got priced up, following the death of my PC at epic.EIGHTEEN.

I'm just looking for someone to confirm that what i'm picking is compatible and if anyone has any better suggestions for any part of this.

I'm looking to place the order this Friday so lets do this!

Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5

GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series DDR3 - 4 x 8GB (32 total)

Case: Corsair CC-9011077-WW Carbide Series (I believe the mobo is the correct size for this case)

From my old PC I will be salvaging My Intel i7 processor which I will tag @LZStealth for as he knows my old build (probably alot) better than I do!

I'm also rocking an older 650W power supply. Do people think this is ample or should I be looking for a more powerful PSU?

Thanks guys!

Edited by JoeShow

2 hours ago, JoeShow said:

From my old PC I will be salvaging My Intel i7 processor

Just checking but I assume your i7 is a Haswell-DT and therefore has the same socket at the mobo you have picked 1150?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dunceantix said:

Just checking but I assume your i7 is a Haswell-DT and therefore has the same socket at the mobo you have picked 1150?

I will double check. I know it's not the old style pins. But I don't know if there's different socket types past that?

Your power supply will be more than enough as the new nvidia cards have a lower TDP so all you'll have to check is you CPU socket as @dunceantx says, if it's an 1150 you are good to go

Edited by mcmidjit
  • Like 1

Why are you going full size again? Did you not want to consider down sizing? 

Because if you do, you will probably have to squeeze the 32g of ram down to two sticks,

Edited by Neon_Rabbit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neon_Rabbit said:

Why are you going full size again? Did you not want to consider down sizing? 

I must admit, I used to have full tower, then went mid tower, my next build will be mini tower. Makes everything so much easier now-a-days especially for transport! :) Deffo worth considering @JoeShow if there is no need for you to have a mid tower, go smaller. :)

• Like 2

For me, i'd downsize for sure (i've gone from a Laptop to a mini-ITX rig and the power is phenominal, it's replaced my ATX desktop)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-H97I-PLUS-H97I-Plus-Socket-Motherboard/dp/B00K2R6BZE/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1466626980&sr=1-3&keywords=asus+mini+itx+1150

Only difference between H97 and z97 is the z97 chipset allows you to overclock the CPU - so if thats an issue let me know.

Your i7 Haswell will chomp through most things though, i'd imagine. (Personally don't rate MSI boards, i try and stick with Asus, and never had a problem with them.) (had bad experiences with MSI, DFI and Gigabyte)

DDR3 is a bit bleh size wise annoyingly... Do you need 32? are you just overspeccing just because? 

16 if you are: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R-Vengeance-2400Mhz-Performance/dp/B00EUPV2RQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1466627234&sr=1-1&keywords=16gb+DDR3+Corsair

32 could be an issue with just 2 DIMM slots (board wont take it) - DDR4 would though but that'd be change the CPU too.

Dinky board lines you up for a dinky case. Here's some good examples:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BitFenix-BFC-PRO-300-KKXSK-RP-Prodigy-Mini-ITX-Midnight/dp/B008BZVTX8/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1466627273&sr=1-8&keywords=mini+itx

(only problem is this is MRated's :))

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC-9011061-WW-Graphite-Windowed-Portable/dp/B00LA6X38O/ref=sr_1_32?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1466627308&sr=1-32&keywords=mini+itx

(mine)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC-9011070-WW-MicroATX-Mini-ITX-Case-Black/dp/B00LA6WXEO/ref=sr_1_31?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1466627308&sr=1-31&keywords=mini+itx

Carbides always seem to do well.

If your PSU is modular, that'll definitely help as the dinky sizes make things a squeeze.

GPU I wouldn't bother with the founders edition. Crappy stock cooler.. i think not.

You didnt mention your pricing limit... So if you're trying to squeeze the pennies, but still get the latest and greatest:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-08G-P4-6173-KR-GeForce-Superclock-Graphics/dp/B01GVHNWUK/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1466627487&sr=1-1&keywords=evga+1070

If you're not:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeForce-Cooling-Express-Graphics/dp/B01GBX86U0/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1466627487&sr=1-3&keywords=evga+1070

(I'm waiting for someone to "shut up and take my money" on the latter.)

Remember if you downsize, it's worth paying a bit extra to get the better kit and making it last, rather than being tight and replacing kit more regularly (my 2p)
:)

Just a bit of food for thought mate :)

• Like 3

Thanks all for the advice!

I'm going to sit down tonight and re-spec a Mini ITX Build and see what I can come back with! 

Looking forward to doing this build however!

Just done a quick check and the chipset of my i7 is LGA1155 (i7 2600K)

Can anyone suggest any decent ATX mobo's for this?

The Sandy Bridge i7's are quite an old processor now (5 years) , you sure you don't want to add that into your budget and see if you can get a newer one on 1150 maybe?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeShow said:

Thanks all for the advice!

I'm going to sit down tonight and re-spec a Mini ITX Build and see what I can come back with! 

Looking forward to doing this build however!

JoeShow,

Hit me up tonight on TS and I'll go thro' a full build with you properly. Not the terse one liner I posted earlier!

Any questions or queries you might have as we go along I'm sure I could answer.

Mini-ITX master race!

Thanks all for your help!

For those interested here's the revised build below. I took pretty much everyones advice and upgraded the CPU! Gone with an i5 this time round But still a very solid build!

Lets hope that mini is the way forward!

Case: Corsair CC-9011047-WW Obsidian Series 250D

CPU: Intel Core I5-6600K Processor 3.5ghz

Processor Cooling: Cooler Master RR-212E-16PK-R1

GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Armor OC Edition

Motherboard: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Motherboard

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz

And just for good measure;

Additional HDD: WD 3 TB NAS Desktop Hard Disk Drive

RIP my wallet.

Edited by JoeShow
  • Like 1

Have a look at closed loop water cooling joe, you can get them for very good prices now and get much better performance than air cooling

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter