Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Sign in to follow this  
Elsie

Disk Benchmarks

OK, I'm confused.

I've already got a Samsung 950 Pro 256gb M.2 drive installed and run the OS from it - but I was hacked off with the slow boot times. It seems like I had installed W10 in 'Legacy' mode not UEFI. I had tried loads of BIOS changes but nothing seemed to work; it could only boot in Legacy mode and took ages, OK 40 odd seconds. I could't be arsed to wipe it and start again, so what it took 40 seconds to boot, but it did annoy me. Anyway, I say a HUKD for a Samsung PM961 256gb M.2 from Novatech for £77 - so I jumped.

My intention was to remove the 950 Pro and install W10 from USB, ensuring I was in UEFI mode etc and I did this earlier today. It went very smoothly and I had Windows 10 installed booting in around 20 seconds. Great! Then I thought, "Lets put the 950 Pro back in and see what happens". Well FCUK Mrated me. It was also booting in under 20 seconds. What the absolute XXXX? In the end I left the 950 Pro, installed the PM961 and formatted it so I have 2 x M.2 drives installed. The system now boots with the original 950 pro drive in under 20 seconds:

Now here's the really stupid thing. I've run the Samsung Magician bench marking tool and it tells me the 950 Pro is vastly superior to the PM961 - and I expected this to be the case; the 950 is a flagship drive and should be quicker. Yet running the  Crystal Disk Mark bench test, this shows the PM961 is faster:

zj66TI0.png

uPZp0PV.png

I don't understand why the 2 benchmarks show such differing results for the drives?! I shouldn't be complaining; I have 2 x M.2 drives installed and the PC is booting in half the time!

Edited by Elsie

My Win10 boot time is around 30 seconds with an old Sammy 840 (or pretty much nothing from sleep), when you get down to the crazy read times of the M2 stuff you're surely limited by something else in your PC or your config

Also, good to see you posting again Elsie :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter