Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

ChronoWolf

Time for an upgrade!

SO I have decided to upgrade my current rig from

Current:

GTX 970

I5 3570k

8gb Viper x

on an asus z77 asrock mobo atx

Upgrade:

Intel Core i7 6700K

Asus Z170 Pro Motherboard atx

GTX 1070

16gb vengeance ram

All running off a 800w corsair 2012 psu, also have fancy blue LEDs all inside a nice Aerocool Xpredator X3 case.

What'cha think?

Arriving next week so hopefully will get some nice pics of the build (Also bought cable ties to make it look nice)

• Like 2

16463871_1289302731108965_5826761977863816487550_1290359487669956_5140222712618116422921_1290465654326006_7801521262655116487036_1290465810992657_19067685693161

Everything but the 1070 is done, won't have the money for that for a bit but I now have everything else running perfectly

I7 6700k cpu

Asus Z170 pro mobo

Corsair Hydro Hybrid cooler

idle temps of 23

full load temps at 45.

Probably one of the more awkward coolers to attach but that's down to the fact I have a midi case.

• Like 1

That's looking good ... but needs some cable management, especially this H100i tubes tied back to avoid the rear exhaust fan. Did you struggle to fit this in the roof of the case and have clearance for the motherboard?

yeah, I have a midi case, meaning it gets difficult, I have enough room between the cooler and the mobo but tying the tubes back will be difficult tried to feed the cables as neatly as I could, I just need a new bigger case. had this case for about 4 years now, mainly due to the fact it's easier to transport opposed to a large case

I could probably afford to take the exhaust fan off as the cooler has fans to exhausting at the top, might save a bit of space and reduce the risk of hitting the tubes

Those H100i's are great coolers; I have one in mine. If I were you, I'd run some under load tests to gauge how hot the system gets with the case fan in.

Switch off an leave it for a while, disable (not remove) the rear fan and test again. As long as the temps don't shoot up, you could probably get away with removing the rear exhaust. However, I would do this AFTER LAN where you want as much cooling as possible.

11 hours ago, Elsie said:

Those H100i's are great coolers; I have one in mine. If I were you, I'd run some under load tests to gauge how hot the system gets with the case fan in.

Switch off an leave it for a while, disable (not remove) the rear fan and test again. As long as the temps don't shoot up, you could probably get away with removing the rear exhaust. However, I would do this AFTER LAN where you want as much cooling as possible.

Good plan, I am eventually heading for full water cooling, this was just a nice easy gateway to it. The rear exhaust might actually now be needed as the H100 has a roof mounted exhaust. I can disable the rear fan through device manager anyway, I'll give that a go tomorrow cine I'm re-installing windows onto an ssd.

My next step in terms of upgrade will be a GTX 1070, but that will not be until april

Your kit would look gorgeous in a Fractal Define C case. These are designed with liquid cooler in mind and I love the PSU cover idea.

A beast of a machine deserves a good chasis.

Edited by Elsie

1 hour ago, Elsie said:

Your kit would look gorgeous in a Fractal Define C case. These are designed with liquid cooler in mind and I love the PSU cover idea.

A beast of a machine deserves a good chasis.

Interesting, the psu cover is nice, but is it a grilled flooring, bother for the sake of my leds being on show and psu fans. though most of the time My psu fan doesn't come on (It activates during high loads, corsair pro 2012 800w psu) so will pretty much be a non issue but still a concern, and does it only come in black?

One of my favourite thinks about my case is the white and blue.

I'm not certain but most Define cases come in white. I absolutely love the build I did for my son for Xmas in a Define R4 case in White; I wish I had kept the case for myself!

It would have a grill and dust filter in the bottom for the PSU; Fractal are food for that. To me you are running a Ferrari engine inside a Mondeo body and your internal compoments deserve to be shown off :)

20 minutes ago, Elsie said:

I'm not certain but most Define cases come in white. I absolutely love the build I did for my son for Xmas in a Define R4 case in White; I wish I had kept the case for myself!

It would have a grill and dust filter in the bottom for the PSU; Fractal are food for that. To me you are running a Ferrari engine inside a Mondeo body and your internal compoments deserve to be shown off :)

The white case is beautiful, may have to consider this. May do it when I have my GPU :)

Cheers for the recommendation, hopefully I can part with this case (I always feel guilty when I upgrade)

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter