Welcome to epic.Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

gitsie

Good, Bad & Ugly

28 posts in this topic

Surprised no-one has started this already - so here we go!

The Good

• Ricky & Amy, as always the best banter at KCC
  • The DJ Sets on Saturday Night. That Enya/Prodigy mix up was top notch
  • The catering - despite some minor issues, the food was awesome and those Honey Chicken Skewers need to be a permanent fixture
  • Seeing all you lovely people again!

The Bad

• People who turn up to LAN and then try to restrict how much fun other people can have. We're all here to have fun, so chill out!
  • The weather during build (it did a little rain!)
  • The toilets and showers on Friday morning. Someone had 100% had an accident in the ladie's showers

The Ugly

• Gump's 4am rendition of Wonderwall. My ears!!!!
8 people like this

First time at epicLAN and actually first real LAN! We were in Portland and apparently drew the short straw on seating but hell I preferred our new seats. The food vouchers are a great idea, tuck shop was top notch, and the company was good too. 

Two minor niggles are 1. Portland was FREEZING and 2. It was sometimes hard to track down server IPs and games for the "Big Game" events. 

Needs more Golf with your Friends and Minecraft hunger games ;)

4 people like this

I WILL START WITH A THANK YOU TO EPIC AND KCC FOR THE EFFORT BOTH PUT IN BEFORE DURING AND AFTER THE EVENTS.

GOOD

minecraft

music(it was good remembering it was the first time using festify.us)

dj sets (I enjoy DJ flytipping every time :) )

the chicken

BAD

the cold air eminating from the front door(might not be sortable)

the chicken running out

winbar not playing enough games

UGLY

the ducks

A reminder if you want the games to be there to play play them when there there.

4 people like this

The Good

The people.  I see some of my favourite folk twice at year at epic.  The staff at KCC are brilliant too

Tabletop stuff!  I spent more time playing RPGs and boardgames than PC games this LAN.  It was great to see so much RPG stuff happening, five or six different games in total I reckon?  I really enjoyed playing @ozrevulsion's awesome Lady Blackbird game and finally got around to trying out Zombicide too.  Now, if only epic did a tabletop gaming convention eh?

Rhubarb Cider.   So good!

The Bad

Pub quiz fail.

Boat Race fail.

The Ugly

@Davemarr's Boat race performance.  

My head on Saturday morning.  I was pacing myself quite well until I was bullied into doing shots whilst quietly queuing for my boat race pint.

8 people like this

The Good

• Ricky & Amy, Bar Staff Brilliant as usual
  • The DJ Sets in Lakeside - Pure Banter and just fun overall and should remain down there for the future in the CASUAL hall
  • Fun Tourneys were much better ran and overall good.
  • Meeting alot of new Faces and of course streaming again with close friends. 
  • PUB QUIZ - Vibes were really good and fun
  • Music throughout the weekend was good and like the new voting system.
  • Smashing @Haden @LZStealth and @Nifty at Beer Pong With @TankGirl

The Bad

• Smell of the Sleeping Rooms - Needed a gas mask i think saturday night 
  • CSGO players screaming let's go after every kill does get a bit repetitive 
  • Sucking at Boat Race ( BUT @JoeShow spilling half his drink down him really count?)

The Ugly

• Seating Plan sort of disappointed me. Most of my friends were downstairs and we was put next to 3-4 CS teams. Now we did request to gump to keep us there at the time however, I feel if one person buys multiple vouchers they're needs to be a time frame in order for them to use otherwise the seat should be opened back up.  In this case they're was 6-7 free seats in Lakeside that could of been used for others.  Hopefully something will be changed for Epic 21
Edited by Davemarr
Watching Back the Boat Race xD
6 people like this

Overall i'm going to keep this short and sweet just to save time. It was my first time at Epic this weekend and couldn't have had gone any better than amazing. Everyone was so nice and welcoming and just purely awesome. I feel i made so many new friends and honestly an introduction into a great community. Can't wait for Epic 21 later in the year and another great weekend. :)

Once again i want to say a special thank you to the EpicLan Team and everyone else i met for the first time. 

Peace x

4 people like this

11 minutes ago, Davemarr said:

The Ugly

• Seating Plan sort of disappointed me. Most of my friends were downstairs and we was put next to 3-4 CS teams. Now we did request to gump to keep us there at the time however, I feel if one person buys multiple vouchers they're needs to be a time frame in order for them to use otherwise the seat should be opened back up.  In this case they're was 6-7 free seats in Lakeside that could of been used for others.  Hopefully something will be changed for Epic 21

just gonna pick up about this dave, when someone gets a voucher they pay for the spot epic can't do anything regarding this voucher unless we are made aware that the person no longer wants the ticket and as such can't sell it on or offer seat changes before the event. you can however speak to the owner of the ticket who maybe willing to let you use the space instead but that would be down to them.

5 people like this

The Good

Meeting awesome people

Playing loads of games 

The large variety of big games 

The kind and friendly epic.Team

@gunmens Buying me 2 Yorkies :16_relieved:

The Bad

When I first got to my space there where no chairs for me and my friend had to go and ask someone for 2 chairs... 

@TheMrFox Everytime he walked past me he attacked me :4_joy: For example while playing csgo he comes up behind me, puts my headphones on sideways and my hood over them... While playing cs

It felt so short </3

The Ugly

Feeling like I wanted to throw up for like 4 hours because I ate 40 chicken mcnuggets 

5 people like this

2 hours ago, M0RT said:

Pub quiz fail.

62307960.jpg

Edited by Elsie
4 people like this

@Elsie I've been talking to some 'people I know' We think you should come down to the next event, even if it's just the quiz, we're not sure you should have much choice in the matter either.

Edited by M0RT
4 people like this

13 hours ago, M0RT said:

The Good

The people.  I see some of my favourite folk twice at year at epic.  The staff at KCC are brilliant too

Tabletop stuff!  I spent more time playing RPGs and boardgames than PC games this LAN.  It was great to see so much RPG stuff happening, five or six different games in total I reckon?  I really enjoyed playing @ozrevulsion's awesome Lady Blackbird game and finally got around to trying out Zombicide too.  Now, if only epic did a tabletop gaming convention eh?

Rhubarb Cider.   So good!

The Bad

Pub quiz fail.

Boat Race fail.

The Ugly

@Davemarr's Boat race performance.  

My head on Saturday morning.  I was pacing myself quite well until I was bullied into doing shots whilst quietly queuing for my boat race pint.

@Davemarrhe tried his best bless him maybe he needs more practice. He will be back with a vengeance next time. 

2 people like this

Good

- Was great meeting my clan again, though we are a group of close friends too, I don't get to see them very often.

- Finally being able to play Twilight Imperium 3 which lasted 8 hours, ended at 04:30am and cause a lot of arguing specially when I was in the winning stretch and my friend wanted to just see if he could kill my fleet, then using skilled retreat to not let that happen.

- The epic burger was on point.

- Toilets for the most part were in good shape but there was a bit of a downfall (See bad)

- The new music request system was brilliant (When we could find it)

-Introducing MORT to Zombicide, next time we will run one of my custom games.

- The staff were very helpful, never felt like I had any issues for long and they were very happy to have a chat even if it's putting up with me waffle on for ages.

- The Ale options were brilliant. I cannot drink lager or soft beers anymore and have been enjoying ales for about 6 years.

Bad

- The toilets Sunday morning were in a bad state, specially the cubicles, Might invent a recticle scope for aiming or print out a sign saying "Please lift toilet seat and don't throw tissue everywhere)

- The guys on the row in front of me coming out with brilliant and witty racial slurs. Them cheering is fine but I feel awkward around those kind of remarks

- Lack of people in a lot of the big games, I understand that this is in no way reflective of the event but would have been nice to have more.

- We need a Gmod server! I am too stupid to run one and rely on others, again non-reflective

- The amount of smokers and vapers by the entrance meaning the smell travels through the venue. Someone had to put barriers up to try stop it, however this got ignored too. (I'm a smoker but always doddle around the smoke bins

- The group who decided to sleep in the middle of the gangway blocking off access to my PC (This was soon resolved by staff)

Ugly

- Me after TI3, Deal with it.

- The inappropriate touching of my clan, Though they will never know I enjoy it MWAH HA HA!

- I would like some kind of cold water fountain or something but I think this is more of a venue thing.

- Me on Saturday morning after finding out I can get 4 ales for £14, which I could only carry 3 so having to down 1 each time I paid a visit.

- The length, Everytime I come I feel like I missed out on something even though I could not have done more.

- Wishing more people would come and play with me on 7 wonders or Zombicide, I did announce it in discord but again people are there to do their own thing.

All in all, I have yet to come away from Epic Lan without a smile on my face and good memories. It helps that everyone that goes is there on their own accord and everyone wants to have a good time. I am looking forward Summer LAN!

6 people like this

4 hours ago, ChronoWolf said:

- I would like some kind of cold water fountain or something but I think this is more of a venue thing.

- Me on Saturday morning after finding out I can get 4 ales for £14, which I could only carry 3 so having to down 1 each time I paid a visit.

Glad you enjoyed it :) 2 points with mentioning though:

- There are signposted cold drinking taps in the toilets, which you can you use :) 

- There are drink holders available for purchase on the bar and at the shop which hold up to 4 pints and are a life saver! 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, gitsie said:

There are signposted cold drinking taps in the toilets, which you can you use :) 

These were specially installed after epic 10 (our first epic at Kettering) for brushing our teeth :D and signposting of these has been spotty at best.

Re Lakeside Projector (as it's come up a few times in the survey too)

I can only apologise for this, we had a RAM failure on a machine elsewhere and had to cannibalise the RAM for it. While that was down a member of staff loaned their work laptop to run the projector but the group policy on it wouldn't let power saving be turned off so whenever it was left for a while it went off. 

The new RAM did arrive on the Saturday after we urgently ordered some more for the broken machine and I apologise again that this wasn't installed as quickly as we should have to get the Lakeside machine up and running quickly enough for you guys. 

3 people like this

Good

• Bar staff... enough said
  • Seeing peeps again! :D
  • LAN Staff, helpful and friendly as ever
  • DJ sets!! WOO BACK IN LAKESIDE!!... i was a little drunk while mixing, i apologise, RIP @superchief:(
  • Epic Pizza order was epic!!!
  • Networking, props to the guys on this, no noticeable issues, very much improved on from last Event, good job @Mintopia and co!

Bad

• Boathouse sleeping room... not a fan, very bright, and not very well ventilated xD ... any other alternatives?
  • THERE'S SHOWERS FOR A REASON PEOPLE! COME ON!!! 
  • Heat was an issue again, past the first 2 rows and all of a sudden you are in a furnace :/
  • Strange request for the shop, 2L bottles of water would be amazing if you can get them for a decent price :D
  • Music request system, not to happy it took 7 hours for a request to go through while we somehow get to listen to the same 5 tracks, 3 times in the mean time, seems like it can be abused by groups too easily. Pl0x F1x :)

Ugly

• My bank balance after Saturday nights bar raid.... sweet jesus....
  • It went just too dam quickly :(

Another great event, massive thanks to all the team and staff :D

I would love to see a larger/longer event at somepoint... maybe 5 days over the easter weekend ;)

Edited by MoleInHole
2 people like this

12 hours ago, MoleInHole said:

Music request system, not to happy it took 7 hours for a request to go through while we somehow get to listen to the same 5 tracks, 3 times in the mean time, seems like it can be abused by groups too easily. Pl0x F1x :)

I know this is something @Mintopia has worked on during the event and I believe she has a new system now working which will solve a number of the aforementioned issues at future events :)

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Beej said:

I know this is something @Mintopia has worked on during the event and I believe she has a new system now working which will solve a number of the aforementioned issues at future events :)

I'll post some more details once I've finished my plans for how we integrate it. The switch to Festify was something that was a bit of a surprise and there's certainly some issues it has with people being able to abuse it. I know of at least 3 groups at the LAN who were manipulating the votes to control the music! In future it will be managed through the Intranet in the same way requests used to work; which will mean we can limit requests/votes, blacklist tracks/artists/albums/genres/pen,apple,pineapple and generally bring a bit more of a mix to it.

1 person likes this

Hi everyone,

This was my first Epic LAN and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Good

• Everyone was super friendly and chatty. I was a bit reluctant in attending because we wouldn't know anyone but everyone was really sociable. 
  • Food prices. Really reasonable prices for the tuck shop and meal vouchers. 
  • No networking/connection issues at all. Everything ran smoothly. I even did a cheeky game download and was surprised at how fast it was.

Bad

• Hella cold during late evenings. Maybe it was because I was sat near the door, but it got very cold with the AC on. 
  • The lack of ladies toilets upstairs. I get that there's not many of us but having just one isn't ideal. Also the toilet paper ran out a whole bunch and even after telling the staff, it wasn't replaced after a long while, which meant going downstairs to the stalls. It's not a major issue but room for improvement.
  • I get that the weekend is basically a junk food binge fest, and believe me, I fully took part. But it might be nice to have some fresh fruits, or healthy alternatives at the tuck shop in the event we don't want to open a third bag of Doritos?

All in all, it was so much fun. Time flew by sadly :(

See you at the next one!

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, MoleInHole said:

I would love to see a larger/longer event at some point... maybe 5 days over the Easter weekend ;)

I know where you're coming from on this; just like a holiday, Christmas or sex, it's always over too quickly ...

However, the volunteers that run Epic are just that, volunteers. They give up their time using big chunks of annual leave to be able to provide the LAN. As far as I am aware, work for a normal Thurs-Sun LAN starts the previous weekend and goes into the week after, unpacking the vans, putting it back into the warehouse and getting things ship-shape for the next before going back to their day jobs straight after.

For me, even if I hadn't retired from LANing, 5 days would be too much! I'd need a fortnight off to recover!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, habzvip said:

• The lack of ladies toilets upstairs. I get that there's not many of us but having just one isn't ideal. Also the toilet paper ran out a whole bunch and even after telling the staff, it wasn't replaced after a long while, which meant going downstairs to the stalls. It's not a major issue but room for improvement.

Just to come back on this point. There are a total of 4 ladies toilets upstairs there are the two stalls in the wing room corridor off the gallery and both disabled toilets are made female/disabled for the weekend which gives a total of 4 stalls. (sometimes we have to share when there is a theatre performance on and our signs sometimes go missing)

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, gitsie said:

Glad you enjoyed it :) 2 points with mentioning though:

- There are signposted cold drinking taps in the toilets, which you can you use :) 

- There are drink holders available for purchase on the bar and at the shop which hold up to 4 pints and are a life saver! 

The drink thing wasn't a complaint persay, I invoke the challenge! but the cold taps in the toilet stayed cold for 3 seconds :P

21 hours ago, left-one said:

thanks cronowolf for bring and playing 7 wonders :)

I will bring it next event and see if we can get a bigger game going :)

On 2/20/2017 at 07:59, M0RT said:

@Elsie I've been talking to some 'people I know' We think you should come down to the next event, even if it's just the quiz, we're not sure you should have much choice in the matter either.

I also agree with this as it will influence me attending the next event.

1 hour ago, jobabob said:

I also agree with this as it will influence me attending the next event.

All we need is a van and some really big lads...

Edited by M0RT

• Similar Content

• By left-one
      THE GOOD,THE BAD,AND GUMPSTER

THE GOOD
      the food
      beach party
      D20
      the effort from ketting and epic
      signing up for EPIC 22

THE BAD
      missing page of D20
      visibility in pendeen for getting to bed
      (I was worried i wold step on a poor sod trying to get to my sleepy bag)
      trip to train station on sunday(Mii knackared)

GUMPSTER
      Cream pied
      Bad singing
      Ice Bucketed
      Raised money for special effect

(will add as i wake up or remember)

LEFT-ONE