Mintopia

epic20 - Network and Internet Feedback

If anyone has any feedback/comments, good or bad on the internal network and Internet connections this event, please let me know. We put a bit of work this event into improving our core network, with new network switches; we also added another Internet connection into the venue as well.

Some great stats from the weekend that I posted on Facebook:

• Wired Devices: 481
  • Wireless: 718
  • Internet Upload: 644 GiB
  • Internet Download: 3.89 TiB
  • Steam Cache Upload to LAN: 3.09 TiB
  • Steam Cache Download from Internet: 1.24 TiB
  • Peak Cache Speed: 430 mbps

Internet Usage Graph

16819243_385094481873013_110105593941006

Steam Cache Graph

16835825_385094051873056_473162784913469

• Like 5

I think for the amount of devices connected it was brilliant network performance, my only concern is I got like 30 KB/s download a game through steam which was quite annoying but I understand why. Overall the fact that the internet and all the equipment was able to handle all those connections is fascinating. Well done to you all. I would be really interested in helping out because I love all this networking stuff but probably not yet :P, but again, good job to the whole tech team :13_upside_down:  

• Like 4

Do you know what game you were trying to download through Steam? We operate a Steam Cache that caches any game downloads, but if the game isn't on the cache, it'll need to download it and the cache itself is limited to 30mbps down (which it did continuously from around 4PM on Thursday through to 3PM on the Sunday).

For the next event, I will be ensuring that where possible, we've got pre-cached anything that people attempted to download at this event.

I'm working on a few blog posts going into some detail on the network and tech side of things, once they're done I'll be sure to post them here for people who are interested.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mintopia said:

Do you know what game you were trying to download through Steam? We operate a Steam Cache that caches any game downloads, but if the game isn't on the cache, it'll need to download it and the cache itself is limited to 30mbps down (which it did continuously from around 4PM on Thursday through to 3PM on the Sunday).

For the next event, I will be ensuring that where possible, we've got pre-cached anything that people attempted to download at this event.

I believe it was this game :13_upside_down:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/246900/

1 minute ago, Oliy said:

I believe it was this game :13_upside_down:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/246900/

Yep, that wasn't on our list of games we primed the cache with. Sorry about that! The list of games for this event that we used can be found here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mintopia/steamcache-primer/master/appids

You'll need to look them up on the Steam Store, but if the application ID wasn't on this list, then it probably wasn't on the cache at the start of the event.

Just now, Mintopia said:

Yep, that wasn't on our list of games we primed the cache with. Sorry about that!

Yea I wouldn't think so :4_joy: Thanks anyway! :) 

44 minutes ago, Mintopia said:

I'm working on a few blog posts going into some detail on the network and tech side of things, once they're done I'll be sure to post them here for people who are interested.

Would definitely be interested in seeing the technical side of the epic.LANs, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the wireless coped (and it really was a god send with no signal on 3 or EE in KCC) and the overall performance in general. Downloading games just needed a little planning ahead while people slept, and there was never any game breaking latency from what I noticed.

Don't know how many more (if any) volunteers you guys need on the tech side but have put an application in via the epic21 site anyway :)

• Like 7

The whole epic.lan core is very simple. The improvement has come from moving to a complete Cisco switching fabric which in its self has allowed us to improve things across the board. Things like the improved spanning-tree, port-security and logging allows us to get a big picture on all 35 switches across the event.

We also used more internet connections to balance you all on.

Edited by matthab
  • Like 2

• Similar Content

• By FsN_1NjA
      I am hoping to make a frag movie from the epic 20 event i would like if possible to have the demos from al the games i played i wouldn't. i heard not sure if it was true that the demos aren't labelled, i don't mind sifting through them if given them.

cheers,
                 Joe/FsN
    • By gitsie
      Surprised no-one has started this already - so here we go!

The Good

Ricky & Amy, as always the best banter at KCC The DJ Sets on Saturday Night. That Enya/Prodigy mix up was top notch The catering - despite some minor issues, the food was awesome and those Honey Chicken Skewers need to be a permanent fixture Seeing all you lovely people again!  
      The Bad
      People who turn up to LAN and then try to restrict how much fun other people can have. We're all here to have fun, so chill out! The weather during build (it did a little rain!) The toilets and showers on Friday morning. Someone had 100% had an accident in the ladie's showers  
      The Ugly
      Gump's 4am rendition of Wonderwall. My ears!!!!
    • By Mithriltone
      Anyone willing to give a lift to epic 20 from Preston or manchester? willing to pay fuel coverage
  • Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter