Welcome to epic.Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elsie

A meeting in Parliament

Wish me luck!

Tomorrow at 13:30, I and 5 others have a meeting in Westminster with Andrew Jones MP, one of the Transport Ministers whose portfolio includes HS2.

Whether you think HS2 is a good idea or not (I'm personally conflicted on the idea), I could not sit back and not fight for my fellow Parishioners, some of whose homes are ear-marked for demolition. Just to create a slow, non High Speed line from the main HS2 route to join old Victorian track for a 25 mile run into Sheffield. We've been doing a lot of research, we are armed with facts and we're doing our damndest to not be NIMBYS. We understand the need for HS2 and accept the high speed line passing to the east of us - but not the devastation that will be wreaked by the slow line to the south/west.

We're a village of around 1,800 people and we know that over 1,000 HS2 Consultation Forms have been completed and returned to HS2 protesting the route. My own home has already lost 30% of it's value after the HS2 plans were released; ven though we're not planning to move, this is my kids inheritance that's being f**ked with. 

Maybe we'll get nowhere, maybe he'll ignore us but we can't sit on our hands and do/say NOTHING.

4 people like this

I saw your tweet this morning.

Hope it all goes well Elsie.

I have a feeling that it will go ahead regardless, there has been too much money wasted thus far to let it all drop. However fight the good fight man, and I hope you get what you need from this.

Good luck

I have seen a few of the hearings from 2015/16 and they would only listen to those "directly affected" by the HS2 proposals.  I have a feeling you may be too late but good luck all the same.

My own view is that extra capacity is needed on the railway but I don't know if the proposals are suitable enough to deliver that.  I would assume that they are suitable and all that is left is the haggling over the compensation for those affected by the fallout.

My main gripe with projects like this is that they are usually misrepresented in what they are actually designed to do. HS1 and HS2 are touted as providing quicker journey times, cutting so many minutes off a trip from Birmingham to London.  This is merely a side effect of what they are designed to do.  They are actually designed to move many more passenger and /or much more cargo in the same amount of time.  What really bugs me is that we're having to rebuild what the "good" Dr Beeching destroyed 50+ years ago to regain the capacity we already had.