Welcome to epic.Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Elsie

Always Allow Windows Update To Run?

After the problems with Wanacry, the global call went out to allow Windows Update to run whenever it wants, do whatever it wants. Up yours Microsoft! NO!

I don't have the W10 Creators update yet (and don't want it) but I've had major problems running any game, esp DX9 games, and get errors "No rasterization devices found" in game like World Of Warships, GTA:V and most annoyingly, Battlefield 2. Yes TWO

I've uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled older ones. Sometimes this works, sometimes it does not.

I've disabled and enabled the GPU (R9 200 7900 Series), rebooted and sometimes that has worked.

What was most annoying was that when i could get games working, the next time i came back to the PC, even without a reboot, the bloody things wouldn't work and I'd have to go through the whole process again. I even considered downloading the Creators Update to see if that helped but I've seen lots of posts where users have had issues with the Creators Update so i'd best avoid that.

What one post did tell me was that AMD driver 17.3.3 was working so I removed all the drivers and ran DDU to get shot of the lot, inc C:\AMD.

Installed 17.3.3, rebooted and ... yes! It worked! All games working, Great!

Then, as I was coming to post on here, the screen went black and the resolution changed. What the hell?

Checked games and they were b0rked again.

Checked the driver ... and it had been updated. Windows 10 had recognised the I had an older driver installed and updated it ... without ******** prompting!

I've rolled the update back to 17.3.3 and games work but I am now trying to work out how to block Windows 10 from 'upgrading' to a driver that DOES NOT WORK. I've tried using the Microsoft "Show or Hide Updates tool but this, frustratingly, does not list the Video Card/AMD as a driver to be hidden.At least I know WTH Windows is doing now, I know I can roll it back but I hope that AMD releases a driver that works with Windows 10 as 17.3.3. does. 

But this does go to show why allowing Microsoft to just update without asking is not a good idea!

If AMD have drivers which are having issues with Windows 10 that is quite bad! It's been out long enough they should have decent stable drivers. 

Also, just because a few people have issues with the creators update doesn't mean you will. My machine has been fine with it, and so has the ones across my work afaik. :)

You can stop Windows Update from running by disabling the "Windows Update" service in services if you really want to. it will stop any updates from being applied to your machine. 

It's an AMD and Microsoft issue.

a) AMD have released a set of drivers (inc WHQL ones!) which are b0rking users machines.

and

b )  Microsoft forcing bloody updates without asking

I've had to use Regedit to forcibly stop Windows from updating drivers.

As for the fabled "Creators Update", I wish I could avoid that altogether. I am not a creator so why do I need updates for 3D paint or tablet devices that I'll never see let alone use? It's really just another way of opening up ports and access on our machines for Microsoft to steal our data.  

Elsie, I've got an R9 200 Series AMD card, and after the recent update experienced a significant frame rate drop that was weirdly affecting me only when streaming.

It also caused textures to vanish in games (noticeably GTA).  

I used AMDs cleanup tool to remove and totally reinstall their latest drivers, and got no benefit.

I did the nuclear option and reinstalled Windows 10, then installed the latest drivers from AMD (not the Windows provided one) and everything is back to normal.

AMD has also shit itself for me in the past; when they moved from Catalyst to Crimson, I was one of those affected by the 'destroys your fan controller' bug, which meant I had to revert to earlier, and could only start using the new Crimson drivers after a few revisions had passed.  I also had acheashadow help me put new silicon paste on the chip and fan unit to help eliminate age and crumbly paste as a problem (which can happen to these type of cards that have been in use for a couple of years)

I'm definitely swapping to Nvidia for my next card, 'cos it seems AMD is beset by these little niggles.