Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Dukey

Lets deal with this (kettering's food an drink)

I'm after help and suggestions to be be put forward to the epic team and hopefully the kettering team to improve food and drink at the venue.

Catering at Kettering has been lapsing for the last few event. the food quality has got poorer, the options less numerous and inviting 

it doesn't always have to be burgers and sticky finger foods.

I'm sure the chefs could do a wonderful stew or paella spegbol or curry, maybe a simple sandwich bar else where in the venue would be just as appetising for some, they could have a hotdog trolly that could be pushed up and down the isles providing at seat food. over 400 people at Lan, most of them stuck there due competitions and or alcohol.

They could be doing so much better if they just made an effort and used there imagination somewhat to help sell us good quality products.

can we please also get the menu's up little earlier so we pass over them and make suggestion to improve them prior to the event or offer up additional options and maybe discuss those effected by allergies to foods.

just as importantly can we also take a look at the Bar. i've heard the rumours about the bar at this event, orders failed to arrive on time because papers weren't signed with new suppliers etc etc. piss poor planning, Kettering and the suppliers made mistakes and they both lost out i think.

despite this i hope they both learn lessons.

Gamers and Lan events soak up alcohol like sponges and squeeze out later in the toilets/floor. towards the end of the event there were plenty of bottle options but the ale kegs had long been dry.

which leads me onto my final point.

slabs, deals and pricing. i find it annoying that at every Lan i go to both at Kettering and NEC now i get fleeced at the bar. i was unsure if the £14-4pints deal was still going as the poster looked old. but still. Kettering has the license with the bar. there's no reason why it shouldn't be cheaper over the 4 days. its not like a stage show, where we might buy a drink at the start and one at half time.

this could also be dealt with if Kettering let us buy slabs of beer. crates of 20 or 12. i'd happily pay £40 for a 20 crate of something for the pubquiz, and Kettering would get my money, not the local pub up the road. 

they could do flash sales of a particular beer on the cheap. didn't they have fish bowls on in summer. 

with a little imagination they really could do well. 

i'd like to see the kettering staff encouraged to have fun as well, dressed up  in suits with ties all event can't be comfortable for them, epic is fun so the staff should be enjoying themselves too.

anyway i'm happy to fire ideas off all day at Kettering if they're interested in listening.

but i'd like to see everyone else's ideas on how they could improve food and drink too.

Edited by Dukey
  • Like 2

It would have been nice to see things like fish bowl style drinks back, along with slabs. I know this might be something we ask for every event but for years at other events we got big packs of beer on discount (money to the bar), if they are concerned that people wont drink all that they order then how about a pre-order system before the event where we pay and pickup :? Not sure on the logistics of that but no money lost at least.

As for food in the bar, sandwiches. Simple fillings, either freshly made (premade in bulk and chilled) or store bought style ones are fine. 

Also although KCC is ok with us bringing in outside food, can who ever spoke to Pizza Hut follow through and see if they will do some sort of deal. Even if its just a coupon code for when the event is on that will give us a discount, the manager who came up to talk to someone after delivering our £200 pizza order, was very willing to do exactly this, plus there isn't much the venue can do about it as they wont be advertising or selling onsite. (Sorry KCC, but if the food was any good or had variety, people wouldn't need to get it ordered in).

• Like 1

Re slabs, we have discussed this with the venue, but need to make sure it's a mechanism where people don't go, oh the crates on offer are Fosters for example and then just go off to the shops and buy the same beer that's on sale and bring their own in claiming it was from the bar. We do have a couple of ideas for that which were discussed shortly before this event but they didn't come off on time. 

The fish bowls were there on the Saturday night again as part of the themed night, but did run out quickly. 

Personally I'd quite like to see the pitchers come back as actual pitchers rather than the 4 pint deal, especially for things like the quiz, beer pong etc. 

Sandwiches - I believe there are plans for something like a Starbucks to be built somewhere in the centre, similar to some of the other conference centres operated by the new owners. Not sure on the timescales for that, but it would perhaps tick the sandwich box for people (as well as getting a decent coffee at the same time). 

• Like 2

Sounds great, had no idea the fish bowls where on sale :( and yer pitchers would be great also.

For the slabs, you could do what cinemas and other event/venues do and slap some sold or custom stickers on the cans/drinks so that people know they where purchased at the bar. 

9 hours ago, Winbar said:

Re slabs, we have discussed this with the venue, but need to make sure it's a mechanism where people don't go, oh the crates on offer are Fosters for example and then just go off to the shops and buy the same beer that's on sale and bring their own in claiming it was from the bar. We do have a couple of ideas for that which were discussed shortly before this event but they didn't come off on time. 

The fish bowls were there on the Saturday night again as part of the themed night, but did run out quickly. 

Personally I'd quite like to see the pitchers come back as actual pitchers rather than the 4 pint deal, especially for things like the quiz, beer pong etc. 

Sandwiches - I believe there are plans for something like a Starbucks to be built somewhere in the centre, similar to some of the other conference centres operated by the new owners. Not sure on the timescales for that, but it would perhaps tick the sandwich box for people (as well as getting a decent coffee at the same time). 

i'd love to see something more mobile moving around the conference centre. hot snacks to your table would be a fun like the late night bar foods.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dukey said:

i'd love to see something more mobile moving around the conference centre. hot snacks to your table would be a fun like the late night bar foods.

I'm not putting on a waitress uniform.  I draw the line at that.

• Like 4

I'm not sure how much leverage the Epic team would have over the cost of alcohol; it's a licensed venue so they're going to charge (as most similar places do), as much as they think they can get away with. I'm not happy about it and as a football fan, on average, I pay £4 a pint but in a captive market, there's no choice. The venue holds conferences, weddings, functions etc - I bet the prices for drink is the same for all and I'm not sure that they'd give discounts for LAN although if you don't ask, you don't get!

As for food, no one is 'stuck in their seat' at LAN, if you want food/drink then go and get it! What's next? Commode chairs?!

9 hours ago, Elsie said:

As for food, no one is 'stuck in their seat' at LAN, if you want food/drink then go and get it! What's next? Commode chairs?!

This.

Also +1 for decent curry

• Like 1

Tardcommander brought the vegetarian question up involving what would be on the Epic22 menu and looking at the menu though options were very limited

I’m not a vegetarian so it really won’t impact me , however , I did feel there was an extremely limited choice in general for them

pininas were nice along with the breakfast options

i know it is a pain for the chefs at KCC but a rice dish would have been good on one of the nights

Food temperature... Sometimes it's hot, sometimes it's not. They need to improve the food warmers. I suggested in the epic survey that they mention perhaps getting halogen food warmers instead of the ones they have now. I've never had cold food from a halogen warmer! I'd be much more willing to buy food from there knowing it was going to be nice and hot. I prefer what is meant to be hot food to be that temperature when I sit down to eat it.

After every event we do feedback to KCC about food and drinks at the venue. This is why in Feb (i think) the food was really good. Since then there has been a change of hands and as such we have to start the process from the start.

The Venue aren't use to mass catering for the day and would only normally do this for an hour to cover lunch breaks at confrences or for weddings which is bring food out pretty much at once and serve. We are hoping they will take all the feedback we provide after the event from your serveys and the forums posts and try to learn for next time.

I have to say sometimes they get food spot on (chicken skewers) others not so much (Chips) but i do think they will work on it for next event.

• Like 3

Hey gents, I'm just wondering if the epic staff were able to get some of these ideas and feedback to the guys at the KCC over the winter. Is their any good news? anything for us to get excited about? Will the bar and catering menus be added shortly?

• Like 2

Hi @Dukey,

Winbar met with some senior figures from Compass group who own KCC.

Last event was very poor and they accept that, apparently kitchen staff we agency workers rather than employees and they admit standards were low.

We have been told for epic23 that the old catering manager is back in charge and the draft menu we have received looks very good (think back a few events to the good food we had). They have also confirmed they have a permanent chef in who joined them before Christmas and has apparently had a lot of good feedback so far.

As soon as the menus are agreed and signed off they will be posted up for you so watch this space!

• Like 3

By the sounds of things Epic wasn’t the only ones to have problems with the catering at the time

I have a few in's with Compass group if you need a hand btw.... although I've enjoyed the female waitresses at lan dam they take my money too quickly

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• shahnikdar8977

East Coast run a very frequent service from London Kings Cross Station to York. The journey on express routes is under two hours and first class accommodation is available. Most trains are fully serviced with buffet facilities. Trains run at half hourly intervals on the hour and half-hour all day between 9.00am and 7.00pm.

From Birmingham
      Trains from Birmingham to York are operated by Virgin Cross Country Trains and run regularly from Birmingham New Street Station.

From Manchester
      Operated by TransPennine Express, frequent services to York are available from both Manchester Airport and the central Oxford Road station.

From Edinburgh/Glasgow
      Express services, operated by East Coast to London stop at York and are extremely frequent.East Coast run a very frequent service from London Kings Cross Station to York. The journey on express routes is under two hours and first class accommodation is available. Most trains are fully serviced with buffet facilities. Trains run at half hourly intervals on the hour and half-hour all day between 9.00am and 7.00pm.

From Birmingham
      Trains from Birmingham to York are operated by Virgin Cross Country Trains and run regularly from Birmingham New Street Station.

From Manchester
      Operated by TransPennine Express, frequent services to York are available from both Manchester Airport and the central Oxford Road station.

From Edinburgh/Glasgow
      Express services, operated by East Coast to London stop at York and are extremely frequent.East Coast run a very frequent service from London Kings Cross Station to York. The journey on express routes is under two hours and first class accommodation is available. Most trains are fully serviced with buffet facilities. Trains run at half hourly intervals on the hour and half-hour all day between 9.00am and 7.00pm.

From Birmingham

From Manchester

From Edinburgh/Glasgow

From Birmingham

From Manchester

From Edinburgh/Glasgow

From Birmingham

From Manchester

From Edinburgh/Glasgow
      Express services, operated by East Coast to London stop at York and are extremely frequent.
      · 0 replies
    • bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter