Winbar

Upstairs Toilets - epic23

Due to a number of theatre events, and confusion from epic22 around switching the toilets in the evening, we will not be switching the male and female toilets for epic23. All toilets will be used as normally marked. 

Please ensure that you follow the signage on the toilets as indicated to avoid any embarrassments. Should all of the upstairs toilets be in use, there are plenty more downstairs either by the Lakeside hall or near to the sports hall (shower area). 

• Like 1

excuse my math if I've got this wrong, but that leaves the lads with usable 5 usable brown bowls (7 if we can use the disabled)  upstairs and 3 usable downstairs (5 if again we have the disabled).

given the speed of the sell out this event one can assume this is going to be the busiest events ever. i also know from personal experience the late hours of the day and obviously the following morning, the womens toilets being available to the men are a god send only his holiness himself could have granted. 

now i'm going to assume some genders here but if 10% of the attendees (500+) are Shelia's that still leaves 12 Dunnies for 450 Drongo's 

now the average person spends 5 - 15 minutes on the toilet depending on whether they have got their phone out. for the sake of this study we're gonna round this up to 8 minutes per poop. and most people will have at least one poop a day at Lan, we can safely assume that will be a minimum 3600 minutes of sit down toilet time

as we all know there are 1440 minutes per day, and with the 12 bogs we have available, that leaves us 17,280 brown townable minutes per day. assuming all toilets were in usable condition 24hrs a day i.e not blocked,out of toilet roll etc etc. 

in perfect a scenario that means at any point of of the day 4.8 of the 12 porcelain thrones available to those with meat and two veg, will be in use.

now note the term perfect

as soon as we take into account busier, some may say rush hours of the day, the fact that some of those attending, wait to come to Kettering to take the brown kids to china town, and some of the punters see an unblocked toilet as a challenge. Those two small rolls of sandpaper are gonna be gone pretty quickly. and those 17280 minutes of personal potty practice will quickly reduce to queues the likes of which only women at a fake festival have ever experienced.

heed this warning, for it my be you waiting in line when the turtle head touches your cotton Calvin ball carriers.

Edited by Dukey
  • Like 2

I think the legal loophole the KCC will escape down here is that so far as British Standards are concerned, a LAN doesn't really fall into any pre existing category.

Do you class it as a conference? An event? A festival? A restaurant? A bar? Each of these (so far as Part L Building Regs, HSE and BS 6465 are concerned) require anything from one per 15 people to 1 per 250.

The way these documents dig themselves out of a hole however is that facilities must be 'adequate and readily accesible' and given the number of complaints about the condition of the toilets from last LAN alone i would be interested to know Epics thoughts (if not KCC's too) on what they consider to be adequate, especially now knowing that these facilities are now being shared.

It's something that we have decided on jointly based on the fact that it's not just us using the building, there are multiple customers using that part of the building, particularly theatre performances, at the time we are in. 

Obviously if/when we get to the point when we have the whole building, then it's less of an issue and also with those volumes for a bigger event we would be looking at hiring in additional capacity anyway. 

The problem is that at the last few events now the toilets had to be switched repeatedly at different times according to what was in the building. When switched, people got confused and ignored the signs on the doors and used whichever ones they wanted anyway. Similarly, the couple of cubicles that were then allocated for females, still ended up being used by males, causing additional complaints.

The view from us and KCC is that across the accessible areas of the building during our event there will be sufficient provision providing all available toilets are serviced and in use, we've had guarantees that none are out of order at this time ready for the start of the event. That, combined with an improved inspection and cleaning regime to ensure that they all remain in use give us more confidence. 

Obviously participants can do their part to keep everything working and in order by improving their aim and not throwing up their Nandos all over the seats! 

Would also add, that the building capacity as a whole is significantly higher than our event, the arena alone is around 1000 people for conferences and exhibitions, and I'm sure the building will be running its legal requirements for facilities! 

• Like 1

I'm kinda glad that the toilets won't be chopped about this time around. One thing I found annoying was that the signs were normal during the day while you're sober. But at night once you're annihilated and the mens room is suddenly no longer the mens room,  I go to what I thought was the mens, only to walk into awkwardness.

Edited by Ale
i cannot spell for shit
  • Like 1

God damn theater performances being usually at an evening time when we have all been drinking since 2pm :P

But in all seriousness folks. the good and bad sides were carefully considered and if everyone looks after the toilets then their is no reason why we shouldn't all get on fine without having to deal with the ^^^ awkwardness.

• Like 2

On 14/02/2018 at 01:06, Dukey said:

Those two small rolls of sandpaper are gonna be gone pretty quickly.

I'm bringing some luxury with me to epic23... dat andrex doe.

Agreed - I thought the venue were really on point with the cleaning and bin emptying this time around, our cleaning checks were pretty uneventful!

• Like 3

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter