Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

Fury

Seating Plan

Me and two other friends of mine purchased BYOC tickets a while ago and chose to sit in the Portland area. Seats were PL-E6, PL-E5, PL-E4. Would really like to know why we have been moved last minute as we do not wish to sit in the Fair Isle area. We specifically chose the portland area to be away from all the noise and just generally be in a more chilled environment. Is there any chance of moving us back to those seats?? many thanks

FAO Admins

I have just checked the seating plan I can see that me and two other friends have been moved? We originally selected seats in the Portland area (PL-E6, PL-E5, PL-E4) and have now been moved last minute to the Fair Isle area?

We specifically chose to sit in the Portland area as we wanted to be in a more chilled environment and request that we be moved back please?

See the post here:

Looks like you've been moved because you're not signed up to a tournament. Seating Defrag was widely known and advertised. :-)

If enough people complain epic might stop defragging the social rooms, but I wouldn't count on it.  You'll be drowned out by the mass of latecomers who get regrouped with their friends and win out of it.

• Like 1

Merged the two topics together. I will do a more detailed reply to this in the morning.

I do not want to sit in fair isle full stop. I paid decent money to pick the seat and room I wanted and now I'm moved. What is the point in having a seat picker if you are just going to move people around for the sake of others that come late??? 

Edited by xFURYx1

Just to make everyone aware I will be sitting in the seat I originally paid for and happy to deal with the issue in person when I arrive on Thursday!!! The fact the people turn up late isn't my (our) problem!!!

I suggest who ever deals with the seating arrangement make alternatives arrangements with the people sitting on that row! They should all be made to move into fair isle if they want to sit with their friends!!!

Edited by TeRRoRz

57 minutes ago, xFURYx1 said:

I do not want to sit in fair isle full stop. I paid decent money to pick the seat and room I wanted and now I'm moved. What is the point in having a seat picker if you are just going to move people around for the sake of others that come late??? 

Hello Fury,

Let's correct you on a few things. No you don't pay decent money to "pick a seat", you pay decent money to attend an event we put on, and thus garner entry to said event. We also don't particularly enjoy doing a de-frag, but unfortunately it is a necessary evil to a) cater for large groups where people have different paydays, and different times they can cough up the cash, b ) people end up picking seats that they initially didn't want but chose it in the heat of the moment when sell out is close and c) to group esport teams together because like large groups, they often don't have similar paydays and thus have to wait whilst their team mates get tickets earlier.

To make a few things clear, we widely advertised this de-frag, we gave everyone enough time to contact us, we threw out social media posts, forum posts, emails and have on the actual seating plan page, a stipulation that clearly states that the seat you pick may not be the final place you are sat. All changes were laid out through the forums, and I even tagged you and your teammates at the time on the forums to help grab your attention.

Now, unfortunately I actually cannot move everyone around. 

Firstly it isn't because I can't be bothered, but actually because I am travelling to LAN today and don't hav the time to actually commit to this today. Secondly we gave a deadline for any changes to be made, and we will honour that. Doing it on the week of LAN, is something we wanted to avoid as we did it incredibly close to LAN last time, and it wasn't a particularly rewarding experience. Numerous groups within the Portland room have been consulted on the changes that were made, and everyone has ended up happy out of it.

For that I do apologise to you and your friends, sometimes when these things happen, people slip through the cracks, and you and your friends were the few who did. However, to rearrange a room of 72 people, and then try and fit whoever I move out into a room of 220 people is something I cannot do in the timeframe leading up to LAN. It isn't as simple as plonking you back in your originally chosen seats, it is the fact that those seats are now occupied by a wider larger group who have 17 people spread across a few rows who are next to another group of 18 other people. Not to mention that I have a group of 9 (Rocket League) and a group of 11 (Starcraft2) as well sat in that hall, so trying to move anyone is a lot more difficult than you make out to be, especially when all of those said groups actually communicated with me within the time frame we gave.

Now, in addition to some of your issues, you and your friends are sat next together, so that is one thing, but I simply cannot give you what you want at this time. I should point out that if you end up choosing to sit in the original seats that you have said in your replies in this thread, then unfortunately, we will ask you to move, and it will only inconvenience you and no one else really. I personally don't want it to come to that, and I'm sure you guys will enjoy yourselves in Fair Isle (it really isn't that bad tbh), and I may even buy you three a drink as an apology. But it's something we cannot entertain at this time, not because we don't want to, but because it is far more work than you realise which in the time we have left before LAN, isn't acceptable to do against 300 other participants of the event.

As I said, I do apologise for the fact that I've upset you, but this is why we do a massive social media blanket approach to this so that we can try and capture everyone within a certain time frame.

Thanks

Gumpster

To be honest I've been busy with work and everything else that I didn't bother/think to check whether or not I'd been moved seats. I have been to a couple of epic lans before and both times no issues with being moved seats. I appreciate that you guys do everything you can to please everyone with regards to seating, I wouldn't of cared much to move seats in the same room but we've been moved to fair isle which none of us are happy about to be honest. We come to this Lan and pick either Portland or lakeside to be in a chilled, relaxed environment and that just ain't Gunna happen in fair isle. 

Appreciate you've done the best you can with what you have and we enjoy coming to your events, but not happy about having to spend the weekend in fair isle. 

Thanks 

55 minutes ago, Gumpster said:

Hello Fury,

Let's correct you on a few things. No you don't pay decent money to "pick a seat", you pay decent money to attend an event we put on, and thus garner entry to said event. We also don't particularly enjoy doing a de-frag, but unfortunately it is a necessary evil to a) cater for large groups where people have different paydays, and different times they can cough up the cash, b ) people end up picking seats that they initially didn't want but chose it in the heat of the moment when sell out is close and c) to group esport teams together because like large groups, they often don't have similar paydays and thus have to wait whilst their team mates get tickets earlier.

To make a few things clear, we widely advertised this de-frag, we gave everyone enough time to contact us, we threw out social media posts, forum posts, emails and have on the actual seating plan page, a stipulation that clearly states that the seat you pick may not be the final place you are sat. All changes were laid out through the forums, and I even tagged you and your teammates at the time on the forums to help grab your attention.

Now, unfortunately I actually cannot move everyone around. 

Firstly it isn't because I can't be bothered, but actually because I am travelling to LAN today and don't hav the time to actually commit to this today. Secondly we gave a deadline for any changes to be made, and we will honour that. Doing it on the week of LAN, is something we wanted to avoid as we did it incredibly close to LAN last time, and it wasn't a particularly rewarding experience. Numerous groups within the Portland room have been consulted on the changes that were made, and everyone has ended up happy out of it.

For that I do apologise to you and your friends, sometimes when these things happen, people slip through the cracks, and you and your friends were the few who did. However, to rearrange a room of 72 people, and then try and fit whoever I move out into a room of 220 people is something I cannot do in the timeframe leading up to LAN. It isn't as simple as plonking you back in your originally chosen seats, it is the fact that those seats are now occupied by a wider larger group who have 17 people spread across a few rows who are next to another group of 18 other people. Not to mention that I have a group of 9 (Rocket League) and a group of 11 (Starcraft2) as well sat in that hall, so trying to move anyone is a lot more difficult than you make out to be, especially when all of those said groups actually communicated with me within the time frame we gave.

Now, in addition to some of your issues, you and your friends are sat next together, so that is one thing, but I simply cannot give you what you want at this time. I should point out that if you end up choosing to sit in the original seats that you have said in your replies in this thread, then unfortunately, we will ask you to move, and it will only inconvenience you and no one else really. I personally don't want it to come to that, and I'm sure you guys will enjoy yourselves in Fair Isle (it really isn't that bad tbh), and I may even buy you three a drink as an apology. But it's something we cannot entertain at this time, not because we don't want to, but because it is far more work than you realise which in the time we have left before LAN, isn't acceptable to do against 300 other participants of the event.

As I said, I do apologise for the fact that I've upset you, but this is why we do a massive social media blanket approach to this so that we can try and capture everyone within a certain time frame.

Thanks

Gumpster

Hi Gumpster

Thanks for the reply.

As much as I appreciate what you're saying, it's not our fault people don't have the money to buy a ticket and pick a seat earlier than others??? Maybe if they saved money (as I'm sure they knew the event was coming up) and bought a ticket and picked a seat earlier, they wouldn't, and you wouldn't, have this problem! 

I'm sorry but I am not sitting in the fair isle area! If they want to sit with their friends then they can all move into fair isle themselves as I don't see why me and my friends should suffer due to them not having "enough money" to purchase a ticket and pick a seat early on? I mean, is that some sort of joke? "Sorry I don't have enough money today but I will in 3 weeks and would like to sit where this customer is already sitting"??? 

I have attended this event twice in the past and never had a problem. I have also attended several other lan events and never had this issue either. 

I appreciate you have posted this "defrag" thing on social media and the forum but I don't check those things as I've never had to in the past. 

Also, I have never attended any event in my life, picked a seat and then had it changed just days before the event starts without even being messaged or notified personally? This is poor management and quite frankly, as a customer, I am not happy!

If you can find alternative seats in another room for us (other than fair isle) then we will change but I am not sitting in fair isle area I'm afraid and will sit in my original seat when I arrive on Thursday.

As a customer I don't feel this is an unreasonable request. Me and my friends have always spoken very highly of this event and stated to other friends that it's actually the best lan we have ever attended over the years. 

I hope we can resolve this issue quickly and efficiently.

Regards

TeRRoRz

Edited by TeRRoRz

Hi, 

Just to add on to this, firstly we are still looking at alternatives as best as we can bearing in mind we are also trying to set the event up today as well as other team members travelling, but if that is not possible then I'm afraid the seats currently listed will be those allocated to you for the event. 

For the past few events, we haven't just relied on forums and social media, we also emailed everyone on 25th January at 22:50 alerting everyone that the process was starting and linking to the relevant threads where it was being discussed to give people the opportunity to comment. 

The Seating Planner does say at the top:

" Note that we reserve the right to adjust the seating plan as required to enable as many booking requests as possible to be accommodated, the seat you select is a guide but may not be the final seat you have at the event. Find out more on our forums." 

We know it's a divisive decision, we'd love to please everybody but we have to try to please the majority and have done our best to alert everyone through as many channels as possible from the start of the booking process to the end. 

As this is an individual issue though, I'm going to close down the thread and @Gumpster will continue to liaise with you both direct once he has connectivity again. 

Thanks

Jon

So with the previous topic being closed, I still don't feel like this issue has been resolved and would like this to be sorted before I arrive tomorrow please.

Please see below -

I'm not sure who's idea it was to have this "defrag" rule put in to place but it's ridiulous...

I'm struggling to understand why a customer who purchases a ticket for an event, picks a seat, is told, (oh wait, should I say, NOT told) days before the event starts, that they have been moved not only to a different seat or even a different row, but an entirely different room altogether to make room for another customer, who apparantely didn't have "enough money" to buy a ticket and pick a seat before me?

What makes this even more absurd is this all happens 3 weeks later after I have purchased my ticket and selected where I want to sit (with two other friends I might add, who also purchased their tickets before hand). How does that make any sense? 

I mean, how is it that 3 weeks after I have bought my ticket, another customer who has finally got "enough money" to buy their own ticket is entitled to sit where I specifically wanted and have chosen to sit? I mean c'mon really? You wouldn't buy a ticket at a concert, select your seat on the front row with 2 other friends, to be told days before it starts that, due to another group of people buying their tickets 3 weeks after yours, you now have to move to the back row so they can sit with the rest of their friends at the front! This is absurd!!!

I'm sorry but this seat defrag system is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of! 

At the end of the day I'm a customer who's not happy and so far I feel nothing has been done to resolve this problem! Closing the previous thread is avoiding the issue not fixing it! Being a Manager in charge of over 30 members of staff myself, I find the lack of communication and organisation to be pretty poor to be honest. I fully respect it's not easy to accommodate everyone's needs but this is totally unreasonable. I think at the very least, it only seems fair to of directly contacted the individual (s) that may need to be moved and asked them first to see if this is okay rather than just moving them? If there are too many individuals to contact and ask directly as a result of this seat defrag system, then all I can say is, this is just poorly organised and needs addressing to avoid future issues.

Anyway, as mentioned in my previous post, me and my friends do not wish to sit in the fair isle area and alternative arrangements need to be made please. We are happy to sit in any other room other than fair isle, which I feel is a reasonable compromise all things considered.

Kind regards 

Sam

Edited by TeRRoRz

TeRRoRz the de-drag happened between Jan 14 - Feb 4

that is 3 weeks with a good 3-4 redrafts for room setups

please bare in mind you were not the only ones moved during the defrag and constant updates were posted in the forums which included a request put out as they hadn’t had responses from 8-9 people nearing the end of the defrag

Defrag has been happening for a few events now with minimal issues, of course there will be the odd few people who will see a draft and ask for their new place to be amended as best as possible which is fine providing we're contacted in advance during the draft period where it's far easier to make changes rather than after the final draft which the vast majority of people have agreed to. 

The defrag is designed to group clans, groups and teams together, so the larger of those 3 will take priority since they won't want to be split up (which would be the case had it not been designed to accommodate that factor). With that in mind the defrag does take into account smaller groups, Gumpster and co try their very best to keep everyone in their original or as close to their original seat as possible but in some cases that simply isn't possible so people may be moved into another hall, if that happens said moved people will more than likely remain grouped together.

Just a note...didn’t Jon say in his last post that they’d be in touch directly?

not sure it’ll matter...but defrag has always happened AFAIK. 

Whilst I have had the same happen at LAN 20, the staff were accommodating and sorted it out well.

I do genuinely understand why they defrag, it makes sense and has a good purpose.

But, I do feel that they should try harder to contact people properly via email, not just rely on people visiting forums, maybe make a note on the actual ticket as a reminder etc, just basically get more exposure and that upon a defrag, people who are moved should get an automated email to say that you've been moved go to the forums if it's an issue etc. Just need more exposure honestly of this and when it happens instead of it pretty much being solely on the customers to check and keep checking.

Well seeing as fair isle is the biggest room why not put all of the groups and clans in there? 

Alternatively just do away with the defrag and sell the tickets on a first come first serve basis like any other event to avoid this issue from happening? 

Surely the ones who should get priority are the ones who purchase a ticket first? If these groups of people want to sit together then they should save some money and make sure they buy their tickets first! We're talking about £70 here, not exactly a fortune is it!

The team at Epic have just created more problems for themselves. I understand all they are trying to do is help and please everyone but it's wrong that a large group of late comers should get priority over a small group who paid early and selected a seat of their choosing!

I honestly don't know how people are even warranting this idea of moving people who have already paid and selected a seat?

Either do away with the seat picker entirely and let the team at Epic arrange the seating plan or just let people choose their own seats and stick to them! 

This is being discussed in PM with the individuals affected and we've rearranged things to offer space back in the existing room, they may not be the exact same seats, but it's still sat together and in the original room requested. 

I would mention again though that we took on feedback since epic20 and for the past 2 events, and we have emailed everyone to alert people that the process is starting (not just relied on social media and forums), linked to the discussion threads and for epic23 the process took place over a much longer period to allow people to give their feedback. 

We will continue to debate and discuss the pros and cons of doing it this way internally, but ultimately it comes down to the events now selling out every time for the past 2-3 years and I'd rather focus our time on finding more space (either at KCC or an alternative venue) so that people don't miss out in the first place and we avoid even having the need for the debate. 

But certainly for now, that is the decision we've taken with all factors considered, it's stated clearly on the seating plan at the point of booking so people are booking knowing that it *could* happen.