iKettles

Portland Room Closed?

Hi guys,

Just logged onto the seat planner to see this message:

Portland - Due to signup numbers, we will be closing Portland shortly, please select an alternative seat

Does this mean Portland won't be open for the event? I don't understand why epic aren't able to communicate this change to people in an email/news post rather than a tiny message at the top of the seating planner which many people won't see. We are with 18 people and now need to arrange finding enough space in Fair Isle (which we don't want to be in) and moving everyone to there. Why hasn't there been a news announcement/email sent out about this?

This is our first epic event although we have attended many iSeries in the past so defragmenting the seating is nothing new to us. Whilst we understand the reasons for closing the Portland room the complete lack of communication isn't filling us with confidence. Our only option is to now move to Fair Isle which seems too eSports focused for us being a very casual group. Is there really no casual option anymore?

Posted (edited)

I think (might be wrong), it was discussed on the Epic Facebook pages, they were waiting to see if numbers picked up. There is room in Lakeside, which is the main casual room.

Edited by Elsie

4 minutes ago, Elsie said:

I think (might be wrong), it was discussed on the Epic Facebook pages, they were waiting to see if numbers picked up. There is room in Lakeside, which is the main casual room.

We would have sat in Lakeside but the thought of background music completely put us off. Is it really necessary?

When you're playing you'll probably have a headset on and (unless you're next to a speaker), the music isn't that loud; you're still able to hold conversations with friends in there.  I've had plenty and my hearing, from years of Motorhead, is f**ked!

IMHO, it doesn't make financial sense to hire, table, cable and staff a room that is not going to fully utilized, esp if there is space elsewhere that can be used. However, this is just my personal opinion. 

Apologies, it is going to be emailed out to people this week who are already sat in there as obviously it affects them and some of the people affected have been spoken to directly (e.g. through their community Discords if we have that day-to-day contact with them). Though if you've already moved, you may not get picked up with the email now when we run the export...I was hoping to get the email sent out last night, but it ended up being a more hectic day than I'd originally planned. 

Obviously we closed it off at this stage (only last night) to stop more people sitting in there once the decision was made, only to disappoint them again in a couple of days when they get an email. 

We do have plenty of casual groups who also choose to sit in Fair Isle and similarly people who attend primarily for esports still taking part in casual gaming activities. It's certainly not the hard divide that people may think! 

Just as an addition over here too, when we were bouncing ideas around on Facebook, here's what I posted so people can see the reasons behind the decision while we were waiting to assess the payday ticket sales:

A little early heads up, we'll also mail this out to those affected as we appreciate not everyone is in the Facebook group.

We always like to be honest with people with positives and negatives, and unfortunately ticket sales are not doing as well as we'd hoped for this event, a position we've not been in for a while.

We know some of the reasons for that, from clashes with other big events (some of which only announced in recent weeks) to being slightly earlier in the exam season and a few big groups not attending this time.

But as it stands, the event is set to make quite a loss so we have to look at the costs and where possible look to make a few savings to make sure in the long term, what we do is sustainable.

So with that said, we're looking at closing off one of the rooms, in this case Portland, and moving that back to being the sleeping area for this event, that then means we can cancel the Boathouse room off the booking and make a reasonable saving on the event costs. You'll also see that in some rooms we've closed off some rows where we think there will be space so that we can cut back on the table hire costs. We'll be closing off any vacant seats in Portland today and asking teams/communities sat in there where they'd prefer to move to.

It's not something we choose to do lightly, but I'd rather explain our reasoning to you direct and we have to make the call on the spaces available with one month to go to be allowed to cancel them.

So unless there are a few huge groups waiting to book, then we'll let people know properly over the coming days.

On 15/05/2018 at 16:17, Winbar said:

Apologies, it is going to be emailed out to people this week who are already sat in there as obviously it affects them and some of the people affected have been spoken to directly (e.g. through their community Discords if we have that day-to-day contact with them). Though if you've already moved, you may not get picked up with the email now when we run the export...I was hoping to get the email sent out last night, but it ended up being a more hectic day than I'd originally planned. 

Obviously we closed it off at this stage (only last night) to stop more people sitting in there once the decision was made, only to disappoint them again in a couple of days when they get an email. 

We do have plenty of casual groups who also choose to sit in Fair Isle and similarly people who attend primarily for esports still taking part in casual gaming activities. It's certainly not the hard divide that people may think! 

Just as an addition over here too, when we were bouncing ideas around on Facebook, here's what I posted so people can see the reasons behind the decision while we were waiting to assess the payday ticket sales:

A little early heads up, we'll also mail this out to those affected as we appreciate not everyone is in the Facebook group.

We always like to be honest with people with positives and negatives, and unfortunately ticket sales are not doing as well as we'd hoped for this event, a position we've not been in for a while.

We know some of the reasons for that, from clashes with other big events (some of which only announced in recent weeks) to being slightly earlier in the exam season and a few big groups not attending this time.

But as it stands, the event is set to make quite a loss so we have to look at the costs and where possible look to make a few savings to make sure in the long term, what we do is sustainable.

So with that said, we're looking at closing off one of the rooms, in this case Portland, and moving that back to being the sleeping area for this event, that then means we can cancel the Boathouse room off the booking and make a reasonable saving on the event costs. You'll also see that in some rooms we've closed off some rows where we think there will be space so that we can cut back on the table hire costs. We'll be closing off any vacant seats in Portland today and asking teams/communities sat in there where they'd prefer to move to.

It's not something we choose to do lightly, but I'd rather explain our reasoning to you direct and we have to make the call on the spaces available with one month to go to be allowed to cancel them.

So unless there are a few huge groups waiting to book, then we'll let people know properly over the coming days.

Thanks for the transparent response. We'll keep an eye on the Facebook group in future!

Glad to hear Fair Isle is also still casual. I noticed the tickets left count reduced by around 50 yesterday - is this new bookings or a reduced overall capacity?

6 hours ago, iKettles said:

Thanks for the transparent response. We'll keep an eye on the Facebook group in future!

Glad to hear Fair Isle is also still casual. I noticed the tickets left count reduced by around 50 yesterday - is this new bookings or a reduced overall capacity?

Both, once I'd closed Portland I realised I hadn't actually reduced the capacity to match the seats, plus numbers are picking up a little, just not to the extent where we think the 70 or so in Portland would sell in the time remaining.