Winbar

epic25 - Menu & Catering Feedback

Here's the menu for epic25 available from the on-site catering. 

Breakfast

Served from 8.00am - 11.30am

• Big Breakfast - £6 (or £16 if you pre-book all 3 days before the event) - 2 bacon, 2 sausage, 1 egg, 2 hash browns, beans, mushroom, 2 slices of toast & cup of tea or coffee
  • Small Breakfast - £5.00 - 1 bacon, 1 sausage, 1 egg, 1 hash brown, beans & a cup of tea or coffee
  • Vegetarian breakfast available (as above with vegetarian sausage & extra egg)
  • Bacon roll - £3.00 
  • Sausage roll - £3.00 
  • Hash Brown & Egg roll - £2.50 
  • Large Breakfast Roll - £4.00 (all of the above)
  • Sweet Belgian Waffle with/without Bacon & Maple syrup - £3.00/£2.50
  • Beans on Toast - £1.75 
  • 2 Slices of Toast with Butter & Marmalade - £1.00
  • Tea/coffee - £1.00 

Lunch Menu

Served from 12noon - 4pm

• Bacon & Cheese Panini - £3.50
  • Tuna Melt Panini - £3.50
  • Cheese & Sweet Chilli - £3.00

Burgers, Wings & Sides

Served 12noon - 9pm

• Beef Burger - £3.20
  • Pulled Pork Burger - £3.70
  • Bacon & Cheese Burger - £4.00
  • Spicy Refried Bean Burger (V) - £3.20
  • Southern Fried Chicken Burger with Tomato Salsa & Cheese - £4.50
  • Epic Burger (Double burger, double bacon & double cheese) - £5.50
  • Chicken Wings (x7) with very hot sauce - £5.00
  • Onion Rings (x7) - £1.50
  • Chips - £1.50
  • Side Salad - £1.00

Evening Meals

Served 4.30pm - 9pm

You can also pre-purchase an evening meal voucher before th eevent covering all 3 evenings for £13.50 (main meal option or up to £5 from burgers and sides)

Thursday Evening - Italian Night

• Spaghetti Bolognese - £5.00
  • Chicken & Tarragon Pasta Bake - £5.00
  • Tomato & Mascarpone Gnocchi - £4.50

Friday Evening - Chippy Friday

• Battered Cod - £5.50
  • Battered Sausage - £5.50
  • Battered Halloumi - £5.00
  • All served with chips and either mushy peas, garden peas or curry sauce

Saturday Evening - epic.LAN 25th Celebration Party Night

• Chilli Chicken Wrap - £5.50
  • Minted Lamb Pitta - £5.50
  • Charred Cauliflower Pomegranate Pitta - £5.00
  • All served with salad, tomato, red onion & cucumber

Bar Snacks

Served from 9pm - 2am from the Fair Isle Bar

• Chilli & Nachos (with jalapenos, sour cream, guacamole & melted cheese) - £4.50
  • Nachos (with jalapenos, sour cream, guacamole & melted cheese) - £3.50
  • Southern Fried Chicken & Fries - £3.50
  • Chicken Wings (x7) with very hot sauce - £5.00
  • Onion Rings (x7) - £1.50
  • Chips - £1.50

Special Dietary Requirements

We had a few people asking last event about vegan options and other dietary requirements. The team at KCC is always happy to accommodate such requests, but it would be near impossible to print every possible option for every requirement, but don't assume that just because something isn't on the menu that there isn't anything for you. If you do have any particular dietary requirements, simply ask to speak to the chef at the catering area (usually Giles) and they will happily discuss your needs and try to work something out for you. It may take a little longer to prepare, but do just ask! 

Feedback

If you have any feedback on the catering, please do talk to the team during the event (either us or the KCC team) so we can make changes there and then, the feedback survey is great to gather thoughts after, but it's much easier to put things right during the event!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Munkey said:

Any news on what drinks the bar will be stocking?

These arent necessarily the prices as they're from Feb, but it's pretty much unchanged from: 

Should have a list of the local ales soon. 

Does anyone know if you can swap things around on the brekkies? e.g. No saus/shroom/hash brown but extra bacon.

Are the burgers customisable too? e.g. s/fried burger no salsa?

Oh and shot in the dark but anyone know if the s/fried chicken burgers are chicken fillet?

Ta!

35 minutes ago, silk said:

Does anyone know if you can swap things around on the brekkies? e.g. No saus/shroom/hash brown but extra bacon.

Oh and shot in the dark but anyone know if the s/fried chicken burgers are chicken fillet?

Ta!

They've always been good on swapping breakfast items around, as long as you're reasonable.......and I would have thought they would do the same with the burgers. Not sure on the chicken, sorry.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, silk said:

Ta!

first one - ive had no problem shuffling around stuff for breakfast but ask and they will see

second one - they put the burgers together in front of you so I would say yes you can alter it

third one - sorry but I don't know but if they are doing it like other places I would put in as a yes but I really don't know

• Like 1

Quick question, i know it isnt 1984 anymore but can you pay on card at the bar and caterers?

Cheers

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Munkey said:

Quick question, i know it isnt 1984 anymore but can you pay on card at the bar and caterers?

Cheers

Hi, yep you can. It's normally a £5 minimum spend with the venue

• Like 1

Breakfast as always spot on this morning and Spag Bol last night was gorgeous! how ever Fish and Chips tonight was a bit sad.  - I was overcharged by a pound and my fries were barely warm and very cardboard like despite being a fresh tray bought out. I soldiered on with the fries but when i came on here to put my two pence in realised actually i should have had some sort of peas/curry sauce with my meal tonight. *sad squirrel* hopefully a box of cheesy nachos later from the bar will help. 

I've only had paninis for lunch, but they've been a bit lackluster. The lady doing them seemed to push down with all her might on the panini maker, which crushes the toasties rather than actually cooking them. Ideally you rest the top of the machine on the maker and then let the weight of the machine do the pressing.

Meant the filling was squished out of the bread, and the bread was undercooked. Overall pretty depressing :(

Also, proper coffee plx.

Breakfasts were great, the evening meals were hit and miss, The burgers were okay but Thursdays pasta effort was noteworthy in just how bad it was. ;) 

Positives:
- Staff are nice and have been helpful every time I've spoken to them
- Breakfast food is nice (aside from the mushrooms)

Negatives:
- Didn't realise the vegetarian breakfast was meant to come with extra eggs. Mine never came with extra eggs and was pretty small for what I paid compared to the standard breakfast.
- One of our party members didn't realise the breakfast came with tea/coffee and was never asked if he wanted tea/coffee whenever he bought a breakfast. I appreciate you could say for both these points that we should have been aware of what we were buying but at the same time I expect the staff to know what menu item come with what. Definitely lost money because the staff didn't know the menu, and I guess because they don't provide receipts we can't sort it out.

- Charged different prices for the same drink at the bar
- Bar understaffed at peak times and epic staff (volunteers?) were able to skip the queue. I appreciate this is a perk of being staff but when they're having long chats with the bar staff simultaneously it's taking the piss. Even the bar staff commented that they were taking long and people were waiting, probably annoyed because they were the only member of staff behind the bar.

Other:

- Unless I am mistaken (please let me know if I am) there were zero recycling bins on site. It would make sense to have them there considering all the cans and cardboard boxes people are left with when buying snacks at the epic shop. It was the first thing I looked for when finishing my drink, and other members of our party looked too. 

Overall underwhelming. I've been to Epic before and haven't had the above issues before.  

Edited by Clobberella

Gonna be brutal here

Sausage roll was enjoyable while mushrooms weren’t

Chicken and tarragon pasta

found the pasta not too bad but the chicken was inedible

battered cod was nice

Chilli chicken wrap nice but lacking for how much I paid

Quite like the tuna melt panini

chips were a complete hit or miss

i also took note that Leftone Left almost all his breakfast two days in a row

Can you PLEASE make the Menu sign easier to spot and read as I thought they were just blank sheets of paper when I first saw them (I believe this would also help people like Cloberella)

staff were nice when it came to service but this is well below the previous standard that KCC has shown

The food standard was so low I was almost inclined to order out or head to the nearest supermarket

Im not keen on doing either though

as I have been to previous LAN held at KCC I do know what you are able to do

I had two breakfasts and 1 ultimate burger

First breakfast on Saturday was dreadful, everything was barely above room temp and they lodged my toast into the beans and by the time I sat down it was soggy and couldn't butter it.

Second breakfast was today and it was better as it was actually warm, mushrooms were a bit rubbery.

The ultimate burger, like my first breakfast was basically cold, the first slice of cheese that was between two patties and a bit of bacon didn't even melt by the time I sat back down with it...

I would genuinely like to know where or how people are getting these spot on meals?!

3 hours ago, Kameo said:

Can you PLEASE make the Menu sign easier to spot and read as I thought they were just blank sheets of paper when I first saw them (I believe this would also help people like Cloberella)

Haha, yeah you make a good point mate. The menu was pretty hard to read. Quite small and written in...olive green?! What's up with good old black. Good for the colour blind, good for everyone. I didn't comment too much on the food quality in my above comment but you're right. Sub-par at best. 

Edited by Clobberella

What was up with the bar staffs drunk pricing approach this lan? More than once had to correct pricing and im the one drinking. Also the bar staff this lan where slower than the old lady they found at the bustop from last lan which, didnt seem possible. Please put on some bar staff with experiance for next lan.

2/10

As for food, it was all good except for the paninis which was down to who cooked them and for how long. 1 out of 3 was raw dough and unmelted cheese, they are half baked baggetts being used so either cook them of give them a good 3-5 minutes on the grill. Please could you use timers next time rather than oh shit theres a queue rush rush rush method.

8/10

Yup, compared to the last lan I went to in February the food was well below that standard. Breakfast wasn't too bad, the sausages and eggs were generally nice enough. Couldn't get along with the bacon though, tasted rubbery and overcooked, could barely chew through it. The chips were definitely hit and miss, first lot I had were completely inedible, and the same with the burgers. They were either okayish or so dry you'd have to drink a litre of water to get it all down your neck. I think the problem here is holding food longer than should have been, whilst I wouldn't say the food was expensive, you should at least get fresh food for what you pay for. So my advice to the catering would be to know when to throw food out when it's not fit for eating anymore.. Didn't try any of the dinner menu as we went out, so can't comment on that.

Breakfasts: Were ok.

Lunch/Dinners: Were lackluster or going cold. Suspect I will be getting more external catering next event.

Bar: WTF was with £5 a pint for Ales on Thursday night, thankfully that was fixed by Friday, but the staff need to know what they are pouring and what they should be charging. If that means sticking a label and the price on the back of the pump/front of the box, then do it.

Menu: I appreciate "that charming shade of orange" is company colours but the font size and colour of the text makes it really difficult to read on a white sheet of paper with nothing behind it (stuck in a verical stand with no backing). Please just use black text and maybe increase the font size so I dont have to hold the thing up to read it.

Catering feedback?

Ho ho hoooo! Fiction CAN be fun! But i find the reference section, much more enlightening.

I've complained about the catering by KCC for so long i assumed people just stopped listening.

The slop turfed out has been so inedible for so long that we, as a community, club together to cook our own food.

Un/fortunately i was so gopping for something to eat before our takeaway on Saturday evening (the PUBG tourney pushed back when we usually ordered but nae bother about that) that i cracked and tried it again by ordering a panini.

The bad news is that it was predictably terrible. How a kitchen that isn't busy can over-cook two bits of bacon but under-cook the cheese and bread in the same panino (i refuse to use the incorrect, though commonly (wrongly) accepted, plurality from now) is a feat of physical impossibility that should not be overshadowed.

The good news is that it has given me a leg to stand on to be able to jump up on my over used soap-box and chime in on how poor the catering truly is.

KCC is irredeemable as a catering establishment. I considered taking the remainder of my panino home to feed to my dogs but i don't think i could bear cleaning up the resultant (and inevitably more appetising) uber turd, nor did i want to risk the lawsuit from the RSPCA, ironically as half-baked as the offending food item.

With little more than two small camping stove's and a head torch, one (sometimes two) people have been able to cook the following, amongst others, in everything from -5°C to force gale winds for easily in excess of 10 people at a time;

Fajitas & Chilli/Cheesey Nachos

Rabbit Stew & Dumplings

Partridge Stew & Dumplings

Tikka Masalla

Chicken Biryani

Kaesespaetzle

All;

Fully hand made

With fresh ingredients

In the KCC camp site

On the day of LAN

For a fraction of the indoor catering cost.

How the KCC staff can use a fully equipped catering kitchen to such woeful result is mind boggling.

Safe to say, KCC catering is terrible and those who disagree were probably dropped at birth. For those with the lack of self respect and still consider this an adequate eating establishment please let me know and i will bring some cattle feedbags to Epic 26 that will probably suit you better.

Shut this place down.

Fin.

• Haha 1

I had a burger this weekend it wasn't the best and was fairly dry, but I was hungover, the chips were also cold, both were not particularly enjoyable. But I had some nicer chips which I stole from Domuk. They were good. But the burger felt fairly cheap meat. 

I don't mind the burger options as long as they're cooked nicely. I was do hungry that I was gonna eat it regardless. But it made sure I didn't come back for the rest of the weekend. 

Like the_joy says we have on every single occasion cooked food more successfully than the KCC and if wanted to sell food out the back of the dreadfort we would.

We also do a very successful BBQ every Lan 

And I do top quality Lanwiches when I can be bothered to bring the ingredients which is all but 2 events these days.

Yeah the KCC food still needs a little work.