Munkey

Epic 25 - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Perhaps an early start to the feedback on this one. I've just got home, unpacked all the gear, set it back up and lo and behold I'm sat at my rig for a change. But on the flip side, everything is fresh in my memory and so a good time to write a fair review.

The Good:

Almost everything. I had a very good event. This was my first Epic LAN ever and my first LAN at all in about 15 years. Straight off the bat I want to say thank you to all the staff and volunteers - you've made my weekend very enjoyable and easy going. Thank you. I wont be able to list all of the individual good things that added up to my enjoying the event, and sadly I will focus specifically on some things in the negative side that were frustrating purely because the event was so good otherwise, but I will 100% be booking another event in the future.

The Gallery: The streams in the Gallery were good, as were the levels of participation on most events. 

Setting up: Our group had a couple of issues (mainly cos we're potatoes, and we're old now too xD) but within minutes someone from the network group sorted us out. 

Internet speeds: Were great - managed to do a couple of streams from the event with no issues whatsoever.

The toilets: Generally very good. Always clean and only once without any paper in one of the cubicles. Good work by the facilities staff there. This is such an easy thing to get wrong and when events do it makes it much less enjoyable. These guys did a great job and they deserve the praise.

Security: Nice guys - always friendly. Barely noticed them doing their work a lot of the time and to me that's good security.

The Bad:

The food: I'm going to be brutal now. It was mostly shit.

Breakfast: Good sausage, bacon, egg, beans etc (don't know about mushrooms, I've seen other's say they weren't great but i don't eat them anyway). The toast was perhaps the driest thing I've ever had the displeasure of eating.

Lunch: Tried the burger twice. It didn't get better the second time. Lukewarm at best, flavourless and just all-round not nice. Didn't try a panini. Chips... Oh Chips... How hard is it to just do chips well. Cold and undercooked generally. 

Dinner: Didn't bother, lunch put me off. Thanks Dominos for making sure I didn't starve.

The Bar: I'm afraid it doesn't get much better here.

The first round I bought included 12 jagerbombs and several pints. It's a good job I can add, because even with the help of the till the staff weren't capable. Tried to overcharge me by £12 and not for the only time during the event.

The wait times were awful. Numerous times I went and there must have been 20-30 people waiting with 1 member of staff on.

The real ales: Please stop buying those awful bag in a box things. It's flat, unappealing and watching the bar staff struggle with tipping the bag up to drain the last drop into a cup (multiple times) is just painful to see. My suggestion - buy in real ale bottles or don't bother.

On the bright side, considering it was in a plastic cup the cider and lager weren't too bad.

The "Wooooooo" kiddies: Please. Just stop. You are adults. No.

The Ugly:

PERSONAL HYGIENE.

Showers are provided. Deodorant is < £1 a can. I have no idea how you aren't able to smell yourself. There is no excuse. Please be more considerate of those sharing the venue with you.

Overall:

An enjoyable and memorable event. Meeting up with people I've gamed for years with at a great event. I'm sorry the negative points appear longer than the positive ones. They certainly don't outweigh the positives. I will definitely be back at an Epic LAN again in the near future. Once again Thank you to all the team for your efforts.

I echo your comments on the poor quality of the food and bar. I wasn't given the items stated on the veg breakfast menu and one of my teammates wasn't offered tea/coffee when he bought breakfast. Neither of us realise we were shortchanged at the time (didn't read the menu properly, that's our mistake) however I expect staff to be honest and to give people what is listed on the menu. Also, the mushrooms really were terrible. How do you fuck up mushrooms so bad. They taste of nothing. Maybe it was made by the same person who cooked the chips ;)

I was also charged different prices at the bar. I was given incorrect food at the bar (the chap behind the bar did sort it out when I mentioned it, to his credit). I think that epic staff (volunteers?) are allowed to skip the bar queues because a few of them kept going to the far left side of it and being served before people who had been waiting for ages. I get this is a perk of being a volunteer, I have no issue with that. However if there's only one poor person working behind the bar and the volunteers insist on having a talk and ordering loads of drinks then it does become an issue.

The toilets: Generally very good. Always clean and only once without any paper in one of the cubicles. Good work by the facilities staff there. This is such an easy thing to get wrong and when events do it makes it much less enjoyable. These guys did a great job and they deserve the praise.

Did you never once stepped foot into the downstairs men's???? It was horrid, truth be said, it was actually horrid before the event started, on Thursday I popped in before setting up and it was a swamp, water/fluids all under the urinals... The smell as well... exotic...

Plus note, the actual loo's were clean and had toilet paper

Good

The Epic.LAN staff and volunteers are always happy, cheerful people. Lovely to see them at each event and to be made to feel welcome.

VR was very enjoyable and I got to try Beat Saber for the first time.

The new breakfast sausages. Whoever got this sorted a big well done as they are 100x better than the previous sausages.

Blossy's tournament was great and well received by all who competed. Great job dude!

Bad

Some evenings after midnight there were no volunteers/staff present on the Lakeside helpdesk.

The hash browns were gradually degrading in quality each day.

The toilet in the left cubicle in the downstairs toilet wasn't flushing properly.

The size of the battered sausage on Friday night was very small when compared to one you'd buy in a chippy.

The mario kart tournament went on for way too long to the point of the tournament hosts even expressing loss of interest. Next time don't do GP in the first round and get people to instead compete in one or two races. Keep GP for the finals maybe?

There was a DJ set being played on Thursday and Friday evening which some of us didn't want because it also increased the music volume. The DJ cable running across the floor was a big hazard and didn't get fully taped over.

There was a TV in Lakeside next to the helpdesk that was never used and at previous events it was position where the VR was over the weekend otherwise against the wall next to Row A. If possible can we get those 2 TVs to be usable again at the next event.

Ugly

The Mario Kart tournament hosts did not state the rules including winning conditions of the tournament, nor did the presenter announce the winners at the end of each match or round. My friend competed in the tournament and since he came 2nd in the GP assumed he was through to the next round, but the winning condition was different for some reason and as a result he didn't advance to the next round.

I signed up for the Tekken tournament and my name wasn't on the list. When I first tried signing up it signed up a random person (this got resolved by Jess). Not sure if this affected others who were trying to sign up for a tournament.

15 hours ago, imoneofthem said:

The size of the battered sausage on Friday night was very small when compared to one you'd buy in a chippy.

That sausage was the most depressing thing I saw all weekend.

Between the size and the state of the batter, when I only got 1, I had a moan and swapped it for the fish. At least it looked edible.

Although alongside the cold and undercooked chips and the whole meal was a bit of a disappointment.

Next time I know to just go to the chippy. 

This was my first epicLAN, but I've been lanning for decades.

The Good:

• Staff and volunteers where very friendly on the whole (I was in earshot of a couple of awkward arguments that should have probably been dealt with in a more private location) and were always available to help when I had questions.
  • It wasn't too crowded! It never felt like we were packed in like sardines in a tin, there was ample space to shuffle a chair without being a nuisance to anyone else.
  • The network "worked", this doesn't sound like much, but I've been to LANs where they've over-complicated it so much that trying to see a server becomes a lesson in frustration.
  • The atmosphere was great, I never once felt unsafe or that my kit would get nicked.
  • There where options other than PC gaming (like space for boardgames).
  • EDIT: The Tuck Shop was amazing, 10/10
  • EDIT: The Security guys where great, I'd definitely use them again.

The Bad:

• The food was "meh" at best, and an expensive meh at that. I think next time I'll just take time out and drive over to a carvery or a pub for dinner.
  • The organisation around Big Games and Fun Tournaments felt like it didn't exist, some of the Big games had so few people in that they where basically unplayable. It would have been nice to see Big Games and Fun Tournaments rolled in together and get a much better framework and ruleset added to them along with Cheap/Comedy prizes (<£10) for top players along with some stream time for the matches. Tl;dr more organisation around non-pro stuff would be nice, simple signup, game rules and win conditions. Bad players make for funny streams.

The Ugly:

• The Bar was pretty awful, but I'm pretty sure that's due to the venue rather than the event organisers though. It's you standard array of megabrewery re-branded garbage.
  • The AC blasted directly down on to our row and wasn't particularly controllable, this lead to some of us being so cold that we ended up wrapping sleeping bags over our backs and wearing woolly hats to try and keep warm. Again, more a venue issue than an organisation one, but it could have been avoided with a bit of forethought during table arrangement.

Overall I really enjoyed myself and will probably attend again, I'd just love to see more done with the non-pro Big Games/Fun Tournaments.

Edited by Yetifiasco

Let’s go brutal

Good

morning sausage roll

friday fish (opinion on chips further down)

tuna melt panini

Mario Kart and Beat Saber tournaments (more on these further down)

pub quiz was as good as ever - no more rounds by haden though

sleeping is as good as you could expect when you arrive late

Bad

Morning mushrooms - they weren’t good but they were edible

Thursday pasta was passable at best (more on chicken further down)

organisation over setup of fun tournaments - or the lack of

Q&A over run (I blame Winbar for this)

Ugly

Oh the food returns for a third award

Chips this time - complete hit or miss more often miss

horror

is there something worse than ugly - YES

Guess what gets a forth level award - the food

chicken to go with pasta inedible and frankly wouldnt put the chilli wrap in a reduced to clear section - I was considering ordering in or heading to the local superstore at one point

Don’t normally weigh in on feedback until it’s all in and reviewed, but to clarify, there is no arrangement for staff to skip the queues at either the bar or catering. 

If its busy, it can be difficult at times to see who is waiting having been in that position myself before. 

The bar for the new layout is still being discussed but there may be multiple bars as one of the options to ease the queues at times. It is really hard to judge the staffing and if it’s over staffed then more cost = more expensive drinks ultimately. The peak times this event were strange compared to others so that may have been part of the problem if staffing levels had been set based on previous trends.

First of all - thanks to all the staff and the venue. Was overall a fantastic weekend.

The Good

• The internet and network -  It was absolutely was tip top. Mind you didnt expect anything less :). Any issues were extremely quickly dealt with.
  • The Staff - Friendly, happy to help and enthusiastic. Cant ask for more.
  • The Games - Quake was played. I'm happy. 
  • The Venue - First time at this venue and it was very nice. The facilities are great and the rooms are very clean and well maintained.
  • The Atmosphere - Holy shit - Last epic I came to was epic 5 but I was ecstatic to see how much its grown and how the bar has been raised.
  • The Video Coverage - nuff said.

The Bad

• The Temperature - I know there isnt too much you can do about it but the temperature in portland was all over. I was going from 2 jumpers to a t shirt every other hour.
  • The Bar - A little expensive, but to be expected.

The Ugly

• The Food - Honestly it was absolutely abysmal. For the price I expected bigger portions or better quality. The pasta was a inedible burnt rubbery mess and the fish and chips were soggy cold and under cooked. Not to mention I found a whacking great bone in it. The burger was ok but it was very dry. The staff also didn't really seem to know exactly what was available. I asked for curry on the fish to be told there was no curry, so I asked for peas and I got curry.
  • The Toilets - More a issue with some attendees rather than anything else but the state of the toilets adjacent to the loud gaming room on Sunday was awful. It was quickly dealt with though

Extra shout outs to the security guards - proper nice guys! Hopefully see you at 26!

3 hours ago, Winbar said:

Don’t normally weigh in on feedback until it’s all in and reviewed, but to clarify, there is no arrangement for staff to skip the queues at either the bar or catering. 

If its busy, it can be difficult at times to see who is waiting having been in that position myself before. 

Thanks for weighing in Winbar. That's good to hear. Unfortunately, I'm not confident that it was the result of a busy queue. There was a really good rapport between the epic staff and the barman and each time it happened they went to the very far left of the bar. I wouldn't normally give a shit because as you say these things can happen, but both times I was waiting an extra 10 or so mins because of really large orders and chatting, with the bar staff being visibly conscious/feeling awkward about how long they were taking.  

Just to say I had a great time, first LAN in this hemisphere. 

Good:

Good number of events and non-PC activities to keep people entertained 

Onsite store 24/7 was a godsend for cold drinks and munchies 24/7 and was a godsend as I didn't have a car

Staff were responsive to AC needs in Portland, that said I felt sorry for people right underneath the vents as they had to suffer for our sins

Staff in general - helpful and approachable

Quake <3

Free apples

I thought the catering was alright and was par for the course. Grateful being onsite for the car-less

The Bad

The turnout in the biggames, some of these of which only had 3 people (tron). What I've seen work at other events is making a tournament out of all these - giving points for participation and the top 3 or something per game. This way you can try and motivate people to turn up to each and everygame. Doesn't have to be a big prize but gives people bragging rights for being the best overall filthy casual gamer :) 

Potentially some isolation/broadcast issues not advertising games across rooms/subnets? (Seige)

Ugly

Not enough people playing Quake

Edited by soggychips

27 minutes ago, soggychips said:

Potentially some isolation/broadcast issues not advertising games across rooms/subnets? (Seige)

We think we probably found the problem with that one after the big game was over - I know there's a few staff that want to try running it again, especially since it seems like there were a fair few people trying to get in :)

Edited by Tawmu

The Good

Epic.Staff - Amazing as ever, friendly, helpful and always around 

Network/Internet - Not a single hiccup with accessing anything, great job there.

Epic.Shop - Great assortment of things, well stocked, no issues there!

Security Guards - These guys were great, did there job well without being annoying or intrusive, a great laugh and friendly. 

Seeing everyone again is always a highlight of LAN, the atmosphere and feel was as great as ever. The few new people we had join enjoyed it immensely. 

Gallery and events - Stopped by a few of the things happening in Gallery, well planned and enjoyable.

The Bad

hmmm... 

KCC Staff - Not the cheery bunch from previous LANs, always nice to get a smile when you ask for some soggy chips... Bar was seriously under staffed, I felt really bad for the single staff member who was on there when it was busy. KCC should really look into this. I brought it up with LZ during the event.

Catering - A few events ago i remember the feed back was <90% positive for the food, i'm not sure why it was changed but it was REALLY poor this event. Chips were barely cooked and just warm, burgers, even when i waited 15 mins for a fresh one, the same. A few of my mates had the paninis and just left them they were underdone and not nice. Everything was just sub par compared to other events. The breakfast was fine in my opinion, could have been a bit warmer but it did the job and did it well.

Campsite - People need some direction on where to set tents, went from organised to massive things being places in odd locations very quickly. Thought there was supposed to be staff overseeing this? It got super muddy on the pack up due to the rain, RIP shoes...

Boathouse (note from others) - Temperature control needs sorting, this seems to be a recurring issues, that room is either the Arctic or the Sahara.

The Ugly

Oh boy....

Toilets - Lakeside toilets were pretty grim, but were seen to quickly

Showers - Fine at around 9-10 am, anything past that turns into a flooded slimey hot mess... Im concerned with the extra X amount of people coming in Feb with Arena that the showers and toilets can handle everything... are there any others accessible? 

Peoples Hygiene - Are you able to force people to shower.... just a thought....

LAN death 4 hours in - Flu kicked me harder than a bull, Day Nurse and booze seemed to keep it at bay during the day ;)

Overall it was a great event as ever, apart from the little bits here and there I'm super excited for February and Arena. 

Great job Jon and the team :)

Quick responses from me about Fun Tournaments and big Games...

Sorry on this; my selection of tracks using GP was off; I'd used the one I intended to use last in the first place - and that took a long, long time to run.

In addition, the time pressure for other events was a drag - I think it would be better doing MK on Friday rather than Saturday PLUS getting to grips with quick VS. races rather than GP should help things go smoother.

Communication on the structure of the MK Tournament was also poor, resulting in people left to one side for too long, thinking they were coming back - I'll put that down to me faffing with the format to make it fit into the timeslot we had - apologies to those affected.

Also - Unicorn did sign up properly, and somehow vanished from the list, resulting in her not competing which is something that really narked me off - it also upset FreddieW who is an excellent support for our admin side on FTs, and this is the first time that's ever happened.  Unicorn was incredibly gracious when speaking to me the following day, but will be absolutely THRASHING the rest of you next time...

Big Games are always a balancing act; we always ask what to put on, we get some suggestions - and then it's hot or cold as to how many people we get.  We need to have a really good think about how we entice people to play in these, and there are some useful suggestions here that I can work on for next time.  If something isn't working out, we should always try to drop something in (and it's really, really quick for us to do so, we've got images and layouts available) - for example, Blossy's Nippon Extravaganza thing was a drop-in that he sorted, and that worked very well.

Cheers for the honest feedback - keep throwing it here AND in your surveys, it's the only way we can fix things...

Well can you inform KCC there seemed to be more effort put into making the Menu unreadable than was put into the catering itself

I have heard rumour their is a hotel being built at KCC but if this is the quality they plan on serving up in it they are just building a massive white elephant which will stay empty

With capacity increasing to 650 at the next event they will have to really improve in between now and then

On 10/15/2018 at 22:38, soggychips said:

The turnout in the biggames, some of these of which only had 3 people (tron).

i didnt even know there was tron happening otherwise i would have been on the server right away.

I'm also going to do a good bad and ugly post.

Good

Epic.staff - all the staff worked their backsides for this event and it showed in the event we put on. I personally feel this was our best event ever. Yes we didn't get everything right but we will always continue to learn and grow from the feedback we get. This is the epic way

Epic.punters you were all amazing and helpful and friendly. You understood issues and was always willing to wait while we resolve them. You continue to support us event after event. I hope as we grow we never loose you as you are one of the biggest reasons I staff. 

Sausages - omg the breakfast sausages were so good.

Content - the content which came out from the event (photos, videos and stream) were all amazing

The continued support from sponsors like Noctua, bequiet and Xgamer etc

The support from general kcc staff in terms of build and dealing with issues

Bad

Food - to me the food after breakfast really dropped in standards compared to normal. I was really happy for the menu and getting to try all of it however it just wasn't as good. Additionally those wooden cutlery I'm so glad the shop had plastic cos they were horrible

Toilets - why can people pull of a 360 no scope in game and then miss the god dam toilet.. If you sprinkle when you tinkle then sit down or clean up after yourselves

Sleeping rooms - please remember the rule in the sleeping rooms off don't be a dick. Double airbed for 1 person is not needed... Also fire doors are used in case of fires please don't block them or get angry at me when I say you need to move. And the biggest one don't block the walk ways with suitcases or beds. I would like to be able to get to my bed after having a drink

Ugly

The smell in the toilets downstairs. This was reported to kcc staff who tried what they could but the smell just wouldn't go. 

Showers - do people shave their legs or something in the shower. The amount of hair I picked out was ridiculous. 

Kcc catering and bar staff. You could tell they werent out normal staff. We know our Amy wasn't well and was gutted to be missing out but it really did show this event that the staff need more training and support reasy for the event.

Good

1. Fun tournament choices were on point. Tekken and pubg happened right on time with no awkward 30 minute waiting, great communication from Reech. Mario kart was a but of a drag last time so we didn't enter our boy Ash this time. He's 404's Michael Schumacher...Post-head injury. I personally don't think MK can be scaled up to tourney level efficiently after many years of trying.

2. Beer choice has improved at the bar over the years I liked the IPA options

3. Seating was spot on and I can't think of anyone who wasn't where they needed to be

4. AC went off smoothly

5. Security weren't trying to palpate my spleen when I carried in multiple heavy items this time.

6. Network stayed up.

7. Dem Deutschen volke

8. Morning games with breakfast was fun and inspired us as a community (me) to club together and buy some of them (solo finance, No reimbursement at all) and try them out (play to the end in a single sitting)

Bad

Wifi wasn't up to it again, random disconnects and devices wouldn't stay up.

Pub quiz was a fix, 404 are supposed to be given free wins to sate our fury

Not a lot of cached games on the server made it hard to update everything on the 2MB download speed I was allotted, there was a lot of input lag at peak times.

Winbar and JoeShow never came to say hello... It just kinda hurts, you know?

Boardgames - We could do with a few more tables out on Saturday if things are expanding because there's already a lack of space

Ugly

Meme stealing. It's unforgivable theft of 404 intellectual property. We've instructed our meme solicitor to file proceedings in due course.

The toilets. Look, all who know me have heard my Iraq story about the camp toilets, dysentery and the dead horse but this was just not on. I walked into a pile of sick on Thursday afternoon that remained there til I left on Sunday and had stepped in it again. It was a swamp that not even Shrek (pbuh) would stay in. Just pure concentrated miasmatic stank.

I'm used to the rivers of pubes and ritual Chewbacca sacrifices of the showers but we had moved passed that last Lan. Why did the cleaning suck so much? Is this to be expected x 2 with such an increased capacity next time?

Foodwise I got a salad. It was somehow still both over and under cooked.

Moronic "theatre" attendees. We had people just gawking at us all damn night. Like taking photos and everything when i wasn't running them off. If you go back to portland, cover the damn windows. I can't one handed browse with Joe Public standing behind me fascinated by the flashing lights of my impressive 144hz display. Robot butler may need to return to keep the riff raff out.

Good

1. Numero uno always goes to the staff. You guys put on a cracking event and I can only hope it goes from strength to strength for you. Special shout outs to Reech and Beej. Yes, we have favourites... earn our love!
  2. Haben sie gehort das Deutsche Band?
  3. Better beer choices.
  4. Beer pong and Souls hat waving distractions.
  5. Traditional drunk Chumbawumba.
  6. 404 food. Good sosig, good cheesy pasta thing I will not attempt to name. Never before have I had a meal that could simultaneously constipate and give me the runs however.
  7. Finally having an excuse to play Slap City.
  8. Playing the indestructable Granny in Gangbeasts.
  9. Introducing Ben and Ed Bloody Party to 404, and their subsequent confusion.
  10. Tekken was a good laugh.

Bad

1. NoShow and his absence for sosig. Why did you neglect us so?
  2. The final round of the pub quiz. I'm all for alternative rounds to just pure questions, but I can't say that it was explained very well. I don't know if we were effected by the points swapping thing, but it's such a cop-out for someone who had been doing well throughout the quiz to be dumped on if they didn't do well on one round.
  3. Being touch of deathed in Tekken. No chance for me to do Steve troll dodges if you don't let me touch the ground.
  4. Portland air bed blockages. I had to step over a lot of unconcious people. Even when people weren't sleeping, there were people having impromptu meetings right in the middle of the corridor.
  5. Back to Tekken. It wasn't fun to sit around for ages while people get obsessive about their controls. Use what you're given.
  6. Reech.... steam controller.... cmon man.

Ugly

1. Food past breakfast. I didn't have anything over that some cardboardy fries but what I saw didn't look great.
  2. Showers aka Dagobah. I was expecting Darth Vader with my face to emerge from behind the curtains at one point.
  3. NoShows 404 meme theft. We heard you when we were playing Jackbox. We expect reperations.

The Bad:

The food: I'm going to be brutal now. It was mostly shit.

Breakfast: Good sausage, bacon, egg, beans etc (don't know about mushrooms, I've seen other's say they weren't great but i don't eat them anyway). The toast was perhaps the driest thing I've ever had the displeasure of eating.

Lunch: Tried the burger twice. It didn't get better the second time. Lukewarm at best, flavourless and just all-round not nice. Didn't try a panini. Chips... Oh Chips... How hard is it to just do chips well. Cold and undercooked generally. 

Dinner: Didn't bother, lunch put me off. Thanks Dominos for making sure I didn't starve.

I've been three times to LAN and I disagree with all your points on catering. The food has always been pretty good value for money especially seeing as it's a 20 second walk or less from where you're gaming. The food itself is pretty good quality, it's not amazing but it fills you up and definitely isn't something I'm forcing myself to eat. From my experience the staff have always been a bit quiet but friendly and smiley nonetheless. This time I was overcharged once for breakfast as you're meant to get a free coffee/tea with it so that should be £6, charged £7 but I came back after and told them and got another coffee out of it. I mean it wasn't free even if they had made a mistake but I gave the employee the benefit of the doubt she seemed quite young. To be honest, I've never touched the burgers/bar food I've only ever had the proper meals on the menu. I can see your point on the chips but then again I'm not that much of a fussy eater and I ate them cold with salt on when I was gaming anyway.

Edited by normyp
  • Like 1