Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

MRated

epic26 - Event Defrag

31 minutes ago, Gumpster said:

Hello Velox,

Unfortunately the seat picker is a blessing and a curse. The old age argument is that defrags kind of have to happen to help larger groups and esport teams be able to sit next to each other. The SC2 community originally wanted to sit in the bottom right of the arena but then realised the CS:GO community were there, so they want their privacy. In that process they've been fragmented. I understand your frustrations but this is why we put up a thread for people to communicate with us on how we should consider what groups want. Had you posted this prior to the Draft #3, I would have kindly sorted it out and taken it under consideration.

This is a very complicated process, and whilst I appreciate that not everyone sees what we see when we do these defrags, I nor Mark are mindreaders. An email was sent out to all participants, there has been this thread, and numerous other Social Media posts throughout this process when we've been doing the defrag.

So you weren't "dumped". Had we of known you wanted space away from the bar, it would have been considered and even actioned. I will however take your feedback and look and see what we can do about it without frustrating too many others in the process.

Hope that helps,

Gump

Thanks mate, we'd appreciate anything you can do.

As we had an entire row I don't think any of us thought that there would be any chance of us being moved so we didn't check it. MRated asked Barney last Sunday in discord if we wanted to move and he said we'd like to stay where we are. We thought that we had communicated that we wanted to stay in those seats hence why we were a little upset to see that we have been moved anyway. I appreciate it must be a logistical nightmare to ensure everyone is happy though.

Our big concern with H is the possibility of beer or people falling on rigs or players and the possibility of much increased noise! Will people be ushered away from that area?

1 hour ago, Gumpster said:

Hello Velox,

Unfortunately the seat picker is a blessing and a curse. The old age argument is that defrags kind of have to happen to help larger groups and esport teams be able to sit next to each other. The SC2 community originally wanted to sit in the bottom right of the arena but then realised the CS:GO community were there, so they want their privacy. In that process they've been fragmented. I understand your frustrations but this is why we put up a thread for people to communicate with us on how we should consider what groups want. Had you posted this prior to the Draft #3, I would have kindly sorted it out and taken it under consideration.

This is a very complicated process, and whilst I appreciate that not everyone sees what we see when we do these defrags, I nor Mark are mindreaders. An email was sent out to all participants, there has been this thread, and numerous other Social Media posts throughout this process when we've been doing the defrag.

So you weren't "dumped". Had we of known you wanted space away from the bar, it would have been considered and even actioned. I will however take your feedback and look and see what we can do about it without frustrating too many others in the process.

Hope that helps,

Gump

What are you on about?

I was asked twice if we were happy where we are or if we wanted to move, both times I said no. It’s not hard, we area group of 10 filling a row, please move us back. 

1 minute ago, Barney said:

What are you on about?

I was asked twice if we were happy where we are or if we wanted to move, both times I said no. It’s not hard, we area group of 10 filling a row, please move us back. 

Actually you were asked if you wanted to be moved into Lakeside. The message around the "bar issue" was obviously lost in the process.

Anyway, I've sorted it. Not exactly where you were.

28 minutes ago, Gumpster said:

Actually you were asked if you wanted to be moved into Lakeside. The message around the "bar issue" was obviously lost in the process.

Anyway, I've sorted it. Not exactly where you were.

Ok thanks

12 hours ago, Gumpster said:

I'm unsure how to put this as professionally as possible. Here is the timeline of what requests have been made from the three teams cited in all of this.

* You asked if all 3 teams could be sat near each other.

* I did that, Draft #1 gets released

* I get a message from Hayden saying "We don't want to be anywhere near Madeeka's teams" (bare in mind, he is part of B1C BOIS).
* I did that, Draft #2 gets released
* Then two forum posts go up from BRICE/B1C BOIS saying "We want to be sat next to each other"
* I did that, Draft #3 gets released

* Now I'm being told you want to be sat near the other two teams, when one of them doesn't want to be sat near you.

Look I'm all for honouring requests made, but the reality is, I'm catering for 3 teams who either a) like some people and not others or b  ) don't communicate very well their intentions.

Can I just remind you that I'm catering for 38/39 other Counter-Strike teams, some of which have friends with them, things like seating plans and defragging them is not an easy task, as I've explained, it sometimes takes me hours to figure out how to please everyone as best as possible. I have to go through this process and as you might of seen already, it tends to upset a few people along the way. Now I'm willing to sit down with three representatives from your teams and work out the deal here, because I simply don't know how to fix this issue when quite clearly we have a few issues between certain peeps. 

I will tag the relevant people for reference:

@cryptid

@senoJ

@hste

@HaydeNN

I'll do what I can at this stage, but until you buy said tickets I cannot do much.

Okay we've talked it's not an issue now thanks for the reply 

Hey, 

One of our [CORSAIR] staff is stranded up at AR-P28 please could you move her down the bottom of the row with the rest of us sat in AR-P11 to AR-P15?

**Edit** Shes now been moved to AR-AA12 please can you pop her in ARP-16?

**Edit 2** Added our last member in AR-P17.

Edited by CorsairPas

All seats have now been successfully defragged at this stage. Obviously I am still seeking answers from a few people who weren't tagged up or on the tournament system. We had to make minor changes to the latest drafts that everyone can see, but that is due to not originally seeing various people or recent payments which forced some changes. As I said, they were minor changes.

There are also four people (Blanks & ThatOneGirl, Veracity & Afro) who are currently left unsat pending ticket sales for the minute to justify opening further rows to accommodate their requests.

Everybody has until Sunday 3rd February to make requests. After that, the seating plan will officially remain locked down and no changes will be made. If I have to make further changes to seating plan, I will let everyone know through this thread in due course with updated drafts.

Hi @Gumpster

Is there any chance Justinan, Voltacus and Gleepower could be moved to the opposite end of their row? This is so it's easier for them to come round and interact with the rest of the SC2 peeps instead of them being by the wall.

Thanks so much lad

Hi,

Would it be possible for myself and Haku to be moved from AR-S19 + AR-S20 to AR-A3 + AR-A4 please?

Cheers in advance.

13 minutes ago, Kirub said:

Hi,

Would it be possible for myself and Haku to be moved from AR-S19 + AR-S20 to AR-A3 + AR-A4 please?

Cheers in advance.

Done.

Hi

I purchased tickets and had originally booked 3 seats: AR F10 AR F9 and AR F8

I see that for some reason we have been shifted to AR L30 AR L29 and AR L28

This puts us in direct line of the Epic stage.. this is not acceptable and I wouldnt have purchased tickets if this had been the case.. can you rearrange our seats back to the original seats that were chossen in the first place please. thanks ..

8 hours ago, kimski said:

Hi

I purchased tickets and had originally booked 3 seats: AR F10 AR F9 and AR F8

I see that for some reason we have been shifted to AR L30 AR L29 and AR L28

This puts us in direct line of the Epic stage.. this is not acceptable and I wouldnt have purchased tickets if this had been the case.. can you rearrange our seats back to the original seats that were chossen in the first place please. thanks ..

Hello Kimski,

You've been shifted as this thread has stated that there was a defrag and moving certain people to accommodate the numerous requests made in the time leading up to the event is something we do.

I cannot offer you your original seats (and arguably you were going to be near the stage anyway) because we have filled those particular seats with the SC2 community who have 33 people in attendance and all want to be sat together.

However what I can offer you is the chance of moving to the bottom right of the Arena in Row AR-Y. Thus keeping you away from the stage. Would that be better for you?

Hey Gumpster,

We have added another team member currently sat in AR-M11 please could you move him to AR-P18 there is a space on our row if a couple are shifted by one.  

14 hours ago, Gumpster said:

Hello Kimski,

You've been shifted as this thread has stated that there was a defrag and moving certain people to accommodate the numerous requests made in the time leading up to the event is something we do.

I cannot offer you your original seats (and arguably you were going to be near the stage anyway) because we have filled those particular seats with the SC2 community who have 33 people in attendance and all want to be sat together.

However what I can offer you is the chance of moving to the bottom right of the Arena in Row AR-Y. Thus keeping you away from the stage. Would that be better for you?

Hi

Yes just move us away from the stage, Thanks

Please let me know how you get on. 

Can i just say giving privilege to a larger group, especially when we had already purchased tickets and booked those seats is NOT good practice and leaves a sour taste in the mouth, i hint of cronyism at work here but i will give your company the benefit of doubt for the time being. 

Regards Kimski

Hey Kimski,

I understand there's always going to be different points of view on this one and it's something that we'll never win! We do try our best to make it clear when people pick the seats that the process will occur (it's right at the top of the seating plan from the outset and then that text updated as the process kicks off to its current state) and we emailed everyone at the start of the process on 20th Jan to point everyone at this thread and shared multiple drafts with people to comment on before actually changing anything. So as painful as it is, we try to do it as transparently as possible and give people many opportunities to comment on those drafts before we actually change anything. 

It's nothing about favouring any groups/individuals, it's just about helping as many people as possible come to LAN and sit with their friends. Here's an old post that explains why we do it at all - 

Initially I thought this was something relatively unique to LANs, but we went to a couple of sporting events over recent years where the same has happened to us, so I do see it from both perspectives, like i say, I don't think there's a perfect way of doing this, so we just have to try to come up with a method that works for as many as possible. 

Feel free to catch @Gumpster, myself or any of the team during the event to chat further and we appreciate your cooperation with the move suggested above by Gump. 

------------------

Just as a side note for anyone else in that area, there is going to be a huge heavy black surge curtain down the side of the stage and that row from the back wall to the main walkway, the sort that you'll see at events like EGX used to screen off stage areas. We know it's something that people are unsure about with it being our first LAN in the arena, so we've invested quite a large sum of money in screening that off as it all has to be raised on motors, suspended from the ceiling with around a 10m drop! 

• Like 2

@Winbar I think it may be a good idea to have a notice in big flashing red writing on the seating plan page highlighting that your chosen seat is not a guarantee since so many people seem to be missing it... :10_wink: An especially important highlight for first timers.

3 hours ago, Winbar said:

Hey Kimski,

I understand there's always going to be different points of view on this one and it's something that we'll never win! We do try our best to make it clear when people pick the seats that the process will occur (it's right at the top of the seating plan from the outset and then that text updated as the process kicks off to its current state) and we emailed everyone at the start of the process on 20th Jan to point everyone at this thread and shared multiple drafts with people to comment on before actually changing anything. So as painful as it is, we try to do it as transparently as possible and give people many opportunities to comment on those drafts before we actually change anything. 

It's nothing about favouring any groups/individuals, it's just about helping as many people as possible come to LAN and sit with their friends. Here's an old post that explains why we do it at all - 

Initially I thought this was something relatively unique to LANs, but we went to a couple of sporting events over recent years where the same has happened to us, so I do see it from both perspectives, like i say, I don't think there's a perfect way of doing this, so we just have to try to come up with a method that works for as many as possible. 

Feel free to catch @Gumpster, myself or any of the team during the event to chat further and we appreciate your cooperation with the move suggested above by Gump. 

------------------

Just as a side note for anyone else in that area, there is going to be a huge heavy black surge curtain down the side of the stage and that row from the back wall to the main walkway, the sort that you'll see at events like EGX used to screen off stage areas. We know it's something that people are unsure about with it being our first LAN in the arena, so we've invested quite a large sum of money in screening that off as it all has to be raised on motors, suspended from the ceiling with around a 10m drop! 

Thanks for the reply.

I do see your point, but at the end of the day the seating is your problem, your selling tickets for a service, and as far as a customer is concerned if they buy tickets for a specific seat then you should honour that. If not then why let people choose? just sort the seating plans without input, thus everybody get the fair treatment.

I'm not new to Lans, but i am new to Epic Lans, its not a good start. 

What bothers me more than anything is the seats you moved us to there empty .. the whole row is empty!! mmm wonder why nobody wants to sit there?

I going to stop now because im raging.. and dont want to say more than i should..

Im not one to panda about so please move us somewhere away from the stage.

Thanks

27 minutes ago, andywhy said:

@Winbar I think it may be a good idea to have a notice in big flashing red writing on the seating plan page highlighting that your chosen seat is not a guarantee since so many people seem to be missing it... :10_wink: An especially important highlight for first timers.

That passive aggressive patronizing message doesn't help.  

3 hours ago, kimski said:

Thanks for the reply.

I do see your point, but at the end of the day the seating is your problem, your selling tickets for a service, and as far as a customer is concerned if they buy tickets for a specific seat then you should honour that. If not then why let people choose? just sort the seating plans without input, thus everybody get the fair treatment.

I'm not new to Lans, but i am new to Epic Lans, its not a good start. 

What bothers me more than anything is the seats you moved us to there empty .. the whole row is empty!! mmm wonder why nobody wants to sit there?

I going to stop now because im raging.. and dont want to say more than i should..

Im not one to panda about so please move us somewhere away from the stage.

Thanks

The reason why those rows are fairly empty is because I defragged the rest of the hall and grouped all the relevant teams together and put them in their relevant seating areas as best as I possibly could. It was only recently just opened as a set of rows because logistically we open rows up when we believe ticket sales will be fluid enough. There isn't much I can do, and the people who are there now, kinda have to be because everywhere else is filled.

I have now moved you to the bottom right hand area of the arena, you are sat with a rather large group of community casuals and sat next to a CS:GO team.

To answer your first point, another particular LAN event used to do that before they had a seat picker, and sorting seats out is a time consuming thing which is why it was originally dropped in the first place to make way for a seating plan where people could chose seats. The unfortunate downside to a seating plan, is people try their best to "soft reserve" seats for their friends and thus we end up having to do a seating defrag. Now from my perspective and something I absolutely try my hardest to do is I try to honour the original seats people pick. However that becomes very difficult to do when dealing with large groups (say 20+) or teams with additional friends/management (7 - 8 people) or a group of casuals (10 - 15), whilst juggling the 3's of Rocket League, 1's of SC2, 5's of CS:GO & Rainbow Six. I don't particularly enjoy moving people, and if I don't have to, then I won't. But it is a necessary evil. It took me and Mark 8 hours roughly to defrag the seating plan a few Sunday's ago. It took me a further 6 hours the following day, and then I've had to cater for the many requests we get through these threads.

There is no winnable way with a seating plan, and unfortunately whilst some people have said in the past "well people should book earlier" or "you should just leave it be", the way of the world is different. Would epic.LAN have 40 CS:GO teams if all those teams were split apart because of the seat picker? No not really. Would epic have large contingents of casual groups that come to LAN and organise as best as possible, just to see some of their group elsewhere because unfortunately their paydays weren't in line with the rest of the group? No not really that either. You may not agree with me on this but as Jon has said above, there are other events out there who do change your seating arrangements, and don't even tell you until you turn up on the day. At least we tell people through email, facebook, twitter and the forums.

At the end of the day we try our best and as Jon said above, you can come find me at the event, and I'll buy you a drink and go over why we do it in the way we do it, you are more than welcome to suggest ideas to help us improve this experience for you and your friends. We of course don't want to disappoint you. So come catch me and we can have a lovely debate over it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gumpster said:

The reason why those rows are fairly empty is because I defragged the rest of the hall and grouped all the relevant teams together and put them in their relevant seating areas as best as I possibly could. It was only recently just opened as a set of rows because logistically we open rows up when we believe ticket sales will be fluid enough. There isn't much I can do, and the people who are there now, kinda have to be because everywhere else is filled.

I have now moved you to the bottom right hand area of the arena, you are sat with a rather large group of community casuals and sat next to a CS:GO team.

To answer your first point, another particular LAN event used to do that before they had a seat picker, and sorting seats out is a time consuming thing which is why it was originally dropped in the first place to make way for a seating plan where people could chose seats. The unfortunate downside to a seating plan, is people try their best to "soft reserve" seats for their friends and thus we end up having to do a seating defrag. Now from my perspective and something I absolutely try my hardest to do is I try to honour the original seats people pick. However that becomes very difficult to do when dealing with large groups (say 20+) or teams with additional friends/management (7 - 8 people) or a group of casuals (10 - 15), whilst juggling the 3's of Rocket League, 1's of SC2, 5's of CS:GO & Rainbow Six. I don't particularly enjoy moving people, and if I don't have to, then I won't. But it is a necessary evil. It took me and Mark 8 hours roughly to defrag the seating plan a few Sunday's ago. It took me a further 6 hours the following day, and then I've had to cater for the many requests we get through these threads.

There is no winnable way with a seating plan, and unfortunately whilst some people have said in the past "well people should book earlier" or "you should just leave it be", the way of the world is different. Would epic.LAN have 40 CS:GO teams if all those teams were split apart because of the seat picker? No not really. Would epic have large contingents of casual groups that come to LAN and organise as best as possible, just to see some of their group elsewhere because unfortunately their paydays weren't in line with the rest of the group? No not really that either. You may not agree with me on this but as Jon has said above, there are other events out there who do change your seating arrangements, and don't even tell you until you turn up on the day. At least we tell people through email, facebook, twitter and the forums.

At the end of the day we try our best and as Jon said above, you can come find me at the event, and I'll buy you a drink and go over why we do it in the way we do it, you are more than welcome to suggest ideas to help us improve this experience for you and your friends. We of course don't want to disappoint you. So come catch me and we can have a lovely debate over it.

Ok thanks 

To be fair I'm not into pissing matches .. because this is what it will turn into. 

I'm not interested in excuses, I'm only interested in solutions to the problem. 

Thanks for moving us. 

• Like 1

Hello

I've just checked the seating plan to notice we've been moved all along one row. Previously our group were sat back to back. We had our seats placed there for months.

Please can we be sat back to back in the same orientation as before? Not sure if this will be possible but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Our clan tag is BLP, members are Whalley, Spankshot, Polycide, xiiAlexx, Sparkles902, Athell and Bogeye.

We are all casual gamers, just sat in CSGO as there were no spaces in the casual areas.

Anything you could do would be amazing. We're not fussy about what area we're sat in, we just really wanted to be back to back :)

Nick 

Edited by Whalley

Hello from the #perryparty contingency again,

We have attempted to contact a few members of LOTH both on the forums and by others means, but haven't heard a reply back. Could we politely request to be put back to back at the bottom (entrance side of the aisle) of our rows in Lakeside? I understand this moves perhaps 3 or 4 LOTH (to be back to back with their group still, I should mention) and shouldn't cause too much of an issue from our point of view. 

I know personally, and have met a few of the people from the LOTH group at previous LANs and have played local multiplayer games with them. If they reach out in this thread or before the defrag locked happens in discontent, we will happily go back to this current draft (#2) at time of posting.

Hope that makes some sense, cheers.

On 27/01/2019 at 17:17, Wok said:

Hi @Gumpster

Is there any chance Justinan, Voltacus and Gleepower could be moved to the opposite end of their row? This is so it's easier for them to come round and interact with the rest of the SC2 peeps instead of them being by the wall.

Thanks so much lad

Hi, would this be possible, or will there be lots of space to get around the desks where they're closest to the wall anyway?

3 hours ago, Narstyle said:

Hello from the #perryparty contingency again,

We have attempted to contact a few members of LOTH both on the forums and by others means, but haven't heard a reply back. Could we politely request to be put back to back at the bottom (entrance side of the aisle) of our rows in Lakeside? I understand this moves perhaps 3 or 4 LOTH (to be back to back with their group still, I should mention) and shouldn't cause too much of an issue from our point of view. 

I know personally, and have met a few of the people from the LOTH group at previous LANs and have played local multiplayer games with them. If they reach out in this thread or before the defrag locked happens in discontent, we will happily go back to this current draft (#2) at time of posting.

Hope that makes some sense, cheers.

Trying to get my head around where that moves us too, if we're back to back at the top of the row near the wall then that's great with us, otherwise please let me know what your proposing. 

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
    • BackByDemand  »  Digsy

Are you still looking for a team? Our 3rd went AWOL
      · 0 replies
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter