Due to the shift to social media and the use of the forums dropping dramatically, we have made the decision to close the forums.

The forums are now in READ ONLY mode

The gallery will be migrated to flickr

epic.Management

MoleInHole

The Toilets, The Showers and the extra 300 people...

I think if we look back over the last few GB&U threads after events, the recurring theme of toilets and showers struggling to manage has always been an issue...

Now with an extra butt tone of people coming, whats the current plan for showers and toilets, especially as we've only got the downstairs ones between lakeside and arena? (that i know of)

My main concern is the showers, it cant deal with the usage at the moment, by 10:00 Shrek is moving in as its better than his current home and it just gets worse and worse everyday.

Is there any contingency in place? or have you been hiding some more facilities and about to pull them out your sleeve :o

Mole

Picked up on some of these here - 

However, the venue feel that with the three sets of toilets available (Lakeside, Arena Changing, Upstairs by Portland) that there are still more than enough for the number of people on site, larger events with thousands of people in the arena cope fine and these are often events where everybody rushes out at the same time (e.g. an interval). We've also been promised that all of the existing toilets being used are being deep cleaned and refreshed before the event to ensure that none go out of action. 

There are enough showers for the number of people attending (still a higher ratio than other events) as long as they are kept clean regularly, they will also be open 24H a day during the event. Of course there's going to be a peak time around 8-11am where everyone wants to use them, but with them available around the clock if people spread the time they're used, there's plenty to go around. We've raised the cleaning and maintenance of the showers with the venue since the last event so they know they'll need to keep on top of them, but obviously they can't get in and do that every day during the peak time, so it probably will be after the morning rush each day. Our team will be regularly checking too and informing the venue management of any cleaning/maintenance issues as soon as possible. I'd say the showers previously got neglected because it was in a bit of no-man's-land between the conference side of the venue and the sports venue and people just forgot that we were using them, that shouldnt happen with the main hall right next to them. 

Even though there is an increase in capacity, it's not going to be another 300 people on site, and from our previous counts, we only actually have around 30-40% of people who stay on site overnight, so more than half of people attending stay in nearby hotels and will obviously have their own wash/shower facilities there, so it's not 100% of people staying on site. 

We did debate hiring in more toilets, but (obviously) they'd end up being outside on a car park and we don't feel that people actually want to go outside and use them, plus you're talking thousands to hire in more external toilets/showers so would definitely be more than a £2.50 price increase for that! 

There is another point though, in that these areas get messy quicker when people misuse them! It's not the venue's or epic's fault that people don't put rubbish in the bins, don't flush the toilets or piss all over the seats and floor, leave rubbish in the showers like empty bottles, that comes from people who don't respect the event and venue! If everyone just takes a few seconds when they've done their business to make sure it's ready for the next person, everything will cope far better! Like, every event, somebody leaves their skidmarked boxers in the changing rooms...no need! 

We'll see how it goes for this one. 

• Like 1

...larger events with thousands of people in the arena cope fine and these are often events where everybody rushes out at the same time (e.g. an interval). 

Sounds good, great example :)

...they will also be open 24H a day during the event. ...We've raised the cleaning and maintenance of the showers with the venue since the last event so they know they'll need to keep on top of them, but obviously they can't get in and do that every day during the peak time, so it probably will be after the morning rush each day...

Nice, not sure if they always were before, but that will help a lot. Great, i think that was the biggest gripe with people before, it was pretty disgusting sometime :shock:

Interesting to know the amount of people who stay off site, didnt realise it was that high!

All sounds great, lets see how they hold up :D 

Cheers Jon

Mole

If the toilets or showers are particulaly grim please do let a member of staff know. We will happily sort for someone to nip in and do a quick resolution and or grab Venue staff to deal with it.

5 hours ago, MoleInHole said:

Sounds good, great example :)

Nice, not sure if they always were before, but that will help a lot. Great, i think that was the biggest gripe with people before, it was pretty disgusting sometime :shock:

Interesting to know the amount of people who stay off site, didnt realise it was that high!

All sounds great, lets see how they hold up :D 

Cheers Jon

Mole

In the past they closed in the evening/overnight technically (though sometimes did get left open), but we're making it clear now to everyone that it's 24H. 

And yes, we've been doing counts overnight in all the sleeping areas over the past year ready for this (sounds creepy), and also to get a feel for when the venue hotel is built. Summer has more people that stay on site because of the camping increase, but then that's a smaller event overall for us using the normal rooms, but the Feb/Oct events have always been much lower. 

I think with the cheap £55/night deal at the Holiday Inn as well the last two events, more people have opted for that. 

• Amazon

• Recent Status Updates

• shahnikdar8977

East Coast run a very frequent service from London Kings Cross Station to York. The journey on express routes is under two hours and first class accommodation is available. Most trains are fully serviced with buffet facilities. Trains run at half hourly intervals on the hour and half-hour all day between 9.00am and 7.00pm.

From Birmingham
      Trains from Birmingham to York are operated by Virgin Cross Country Trains and run regularly from Birmingham New Street Station.

From Manchester
      Operated by TransPennine Express, frequent services to York are available from both Manchester Airport and the central Oxford Road station.

From Edinburgh/Glasgow
      Express services, operated by East Coast to London stop at York and are extremely frequent.East Coast run a very frequent service from London Kings Cross Station to York. The journey on express routes is under two hours and first class accommodation is available. Most trains are fully serviced with buffet facilities. Trains run at half hourly intervals on the hour and half-hour all day between 9.00am and 7.00pm.

From Birmingham
      Trains from Birmingham to York are operated by Virgin Cross Country Trains and run regularly from Birmingham New Street Station.

From Manchester
      Operated by TransPennine Express, frequent services to York are available from both Manchester Airport and the central Oxford Road station.

From Edinburgh/Glasgow
      Express services, operated by East Coast to London stop at York and are extremely frequent.East Coast run a very frequent service from London Kings Cross Station to York. The journey on express routes is under two hours and first class accommodation is available. Most trains are fully serviced with buffet facilities. Trains run at half hourly intervals on the hour and half-hour all day between 9.00am and 7.00pm.

From Birmingham

From Manchester

From Edinburgh/Glasgow

From Birmingham

From Manchester

From Edinburgh/Glasgow

From Birmingham

From Manchester

From Edinburgh/Glasgow
      Express services, operated by East Coast to London stop at York and are extremely frequent.
      · 0 replies
    • bakewell

Me and a mate are attending the Cardiff CS:GO qualifiers. Looking to join a team that needs 2 x mercs.

We've been playing since 1.6 on and off, are part of an online team, and are usually rank LE+

Get in touch if you have availability. Steam name: myalternativeaccount or just message on here.
      · 0 replies
    • Solarr

epic24 seems so long ago and I haven't been back since. Having taken the 3v3 Rocket League tournament, I'm hungry for more.

And so...

I have plans to return to epic27 with a new team behind me! I am incredibly excited as epic24 was my first taste of a LAN and I loved every minute of it. It's completely worth the 700 miles round trip and I'm ready to do it all over again!

· 1 reply
  • Twitch Streams

• No Streams Available
    • No Streams Available
  • New Topics

• epic.LAN Twitter